PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Greese

P.K.
02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I just finished cooking the last of this years summer sausage and decided to cook up a slab of bacon too. BLT's more bacon less lettuce....;-)

Any way besides candles and soap what else can I use this for? Bacon Lube sounds really good, imagine the looks at the range...."I smell Bacon...." LOL!:mrgreen:

scottiemom
02-10-2013, 10:26 AM
bacon grease? oh my, lots of stuff food-wise. I use it in waffle batter (takes the place of the shortening), fry stuff in it and bacon grease makes a killer warm bacon grease salad dressing. No such thing as too much bacon grease! keep in the fridge,will last forever

Gliden07
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
My Grandmother use to have a coffee can of it next to her stove and everything got cooked in it. She used it like butter or oil. I have a jar of it in my fridge now!! One thing you can't do is a real hi heat sear with it because it will burn. If you want to use it for searing add some veg oil or safflower oil (it raises the smoke temp) Great for steaks adds a little Bacon flavor!! My favorite from my Gram was the potatoes and onions she would make in the Bacon fat!! Ahhhhhh Memories!! Now I'm hungry!!

375RUGER
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
You're making candles and soap with it? Sounds like you should be heading to woods and huntin' some spring bear.

Blacksmith
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Bacon Lube sounds really good, imagine the looks at the range...."I smell Bacon...." LOL!:mrgreen:

Bacon grease lube would be particularly useful in combat with certain ethnic groups.
http://silverbulletgunoil.net/Osama_Target.html

hoosierlogger
02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I dont think it would be a good idea to use salty bacon grease in the bore of your guns.

blackthorn
02-10-2013, 11:24 AM
When I was a kid my Mother would fry up a slice of home made bread in bacon grease---MMMMMMMM

Cactus Farmer
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
When I was a kid my Mother would fry up a slice of home made bread in bacon grease---MMMMMMMM

You got it! With a drizzle of molasses on top. Just doesn't get any better.......especially on the side of a trout stream.
(I wonder what they do with the rest of the mole?)

44man
02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I love bacon and eggs fried in it. I would fry everything in it.
My wife burns me up. She takes the grease and puts a little in the dogs food until it is gone, wasting the best cooking stuff ever. It is only smoky lard with a better flavor and lard never hurt anyone. It is like real butter, safer then man made junk. Birds will NOT eat margarine or any man made fats.
When I eat bacon it is never a few pieces, it is 1/2# and I would really eat the whole pound. Others to eat prevents me from being greedy!
Keep it away from guns because of salt, it is for eating.

02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I think bacon is one of the four major food groups. Beans, Bacon, Whisky and Lard.

Johnch
02-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I add some to the pop corn oil

Turns out great

John

oneokie
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Left over biscuit, diced onion on the sliced biscuit, tablespoon or 2 of warmed bacon grease=manna from heaven.

DIRT Farmer
02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Jee guys, I keep remembering all the good things and I have an appt with my cardioligst coming up.

TopHat
02-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Bacon grease lube would be particularly useful in combat with certain ethnic groups.
http://silverbulletgunoil.net/Osama_Target.html

Which is why I always put a teaspoon or so in my lube.

DeanoBeanCounter
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
You might like this web sight.
http://www.baconsalt.com/
Dean
8-)

dragonrider
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
You can infuse alcohol with it and make some very tasty mixed drinks.

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
You might like this web sight.
http://www.baconsalt.com/
Dean
8-)
It must be an artificial bacon flavor if it's kosher.

mongoosesnipe
02-10-2013, 03:31 PM
if you render it to talo like you would for soap or candles then you could make lube out of it substituting the talo for bees wax i would imagine

starmac
02-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Almost anything you can think of is better cooked with bacon, the same is true for bacon grease.

johnnybar
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
If it is cured bacon it will have too much salt for gun use. If it is rendered hog fat it will be fine for patch lube etc. Mix in a little wax and it will be an excellent conical lube..seasons the bore unlike petroleum based lubes. If cured bacon, I'll add: fry eggs in it and also try fried green beans with about a heaping table spoon per pound of green beans in a hot skillet...yum. The old timers used to preserve extra barrels by warming them by the fire and pouring well rendered bear fat or hog fat down the bore until it was full. The bore would keep forever as good as the day it was made. Just warm again and pour out fat, then swab well. Now days you can use unsalted lard for the same purpose.

firefly1957
02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Most of my bacon grease is used as cold weather suet for the birds I have a mold i line with plastic wrap pour some warm not hot grease in add bird seed then fill to top of mold and set in freezer to harden. These are good when it is below freezing i have tried a couple ways to make them hard in warm weather with little luck. I hang them in a wire suet cage so if it gets to warm they drip to the ground. I have tried it as lead flux and do not recommend it as a thick dark grease builds up on lead surface this may be fine in a bottom pour setup but messes with ladle pouring of bullets. 10% in bullet lube has been a thought if them terrorists were a problem here ! I know they are going to Hell but an extra reminder of their beliefs can't hurt!

Chicken Thief
02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
The above post reminded me of good old Pershing.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/blackjackpershingcrop.jpg

Matt_G
02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I like to put a spoonful of bacon grease in the pan when I am heating up green beans. The sure do taste better that way.

Love Life
02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd brush my teeth with the stuff if the Mrs. would let me.

johnnybar
02-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh, forgot to add my duck breast recipe. Cube or strip into 3/4" pieces, mix flour and lowery's, coat cubes in mix, pan fry in hot bacon grease turning as each side gets golden brown. Best duck I've ever had ...melts in your mouth. But the neighbors duck breast stuffed with grill roasted jalapeno then grilled over apple and hickory wood is a tie.

gbrown
02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
My Grandmother use to have a coffee can of it next to her stove and everything got cooked in it. She used it like butter or oil. I have a jar of it in my fridge now!! One thing you can't do is a real hi heat sear with it because it will burn. If you want to use it for searing add some veg oil or safflower oil (it raises the smoke temp) Great for steaks adds a little Bacon flavor!! My favorite from my Gram was the potatoes and onions she would make in the Bacon fat!! Ahhhhhh Memories!! Now I'm hungry!!

Ah, yes, the memories. We had a pint jar on the back of the stove when I was a kid. My father had bacon almost every morning and the drippings went in there. Used it like most people use vegetable oil. Need a little oil? Couple of tablespoons of bacon grease. Cabbage, corn, grilled cheese, green beans, just about anything you can think of. I have a half pint in the fridge for the same reason. Just adds flavor and yummy.

fatnhappy
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I have to laugh a little, a guy at work was telling me his wife needed some bacon grease for baking. I brought in a spare gallon for him.

I've used it for everything from starting campfires to scented candles. I use it in sausage making. Adding bacon grease to venison bratwurst gives it a wonderful smoked flavor. I use it to season cast iron. I can't imagine making cornbread without greasing the skillet with a couple tablespoons of drippings.

The best use I've found for it is deep frying more bacon.

Chicken Thief
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh, forgot to add my duck breast recipe. Cube or strip into 3/4" pieces, mix flour and lowery's, coat cubes in mix, pan fry in hot bacon grease turning as each side gets golden brown. Best duck I've ever had ...melts in your mouth. But the neighbors duck breast stuffed with grill roasted jalapeno then grilled over apple and hickory wood is a tie.

Which is?

xs11jack
02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Was in the military in 1965 in Alabama, had a buddy who's uncle managed a chicken farm. It had many large ponds full of Bass on the grounds. We would go there and fish. The uncle would fillet the bass, cut it into large squares, put his secret batter on one side and slice of bread on the other. Then fry them up in bacon grease, turning them a couple of times. We ate them with our fingers. That long ago and I can still taste them. Then we would go out to shoot his Lugar. And uncle would bring out some Shine to taste. Didn't help our shooting one bit. But then we young and stupid as rocks.
Jack

ryan28
02-10-2013, 10:42 PM
If you make your own pizza, add a bit to the sauce and you will wonder how you lived with out it before.

SciFiJim
02-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Which is?

It is actually spelled Lawrys. It is seasoned salt. I grew up on the stuff. I use Tony Chacere's Creole Seasoning now. Both are the GOOD STUFF. Adding bacon just makes them better.

http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Spice-Blends/Seasoned-Salt.aspx (http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Spice-Blends/Seasoned-Salt.aspx)

Dark Helmet
02-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Mix a level teaspoon in your cheeseballs

Reverend Al
02-11-2013, 02:24 AM

This is an English staple which they call "dripping toast"! You pan fry both sides of the bread in bacon dripping and then add a bit of salt and pepper when it is nice and crisp. Deadly, deadly stuff though and very bad for your health since my London'er grandfather used to eat it all the time for breakfast and I'm sure that it contributed to him leaving us early at the young age of only 94 years!

Rangefinder
02-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Awe man, you guys are making me hungry. NOW I'm thinking of my bacon fat uses... Liver and onions--caramelize the onions in bacon fat, roll the liver in flour with a little S&P, and sear off in the bacon fat as well. It's a fall favorite. Breaded chicken... Bone out a thigh, roll in a flour mix of 4 parts flour to 1 part Lawrey's seasoning, and deep-fry in bacon fat. Both go perfectly with garlic mashed potatoes and a healthy blop of butter. if you need some greens added, steam some brussel sprouts. Quarter 'em, then sautee in a skillet with bacon fat, a little honey, S&P, and some thyme.

P.K.
02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Thank you everyone for the feedback, though I think one of the Mod's may be itchin' to move this to the recipe's area. ;-)

I have read, looked around and read more about the salt issue and ways to render the good stuff down. I came across a "formula" for some pan lube I wanted to substitute the greese into for the aroma alone. Won't be using the "raw" product, as mentioned too many other tasty reasons to be spare with this liquid gold. But for arguments sake the "formula" called for vasilene which is almost the consistancy of slightly chilled bg( =bacon greese) at room temp. By mixing equal parts the outcome is hoped to be the stable solid of vasilene at room temp with the aroma of bg when burned. Going to have to spend some time going through Ken's collective Lube thread to see if there is already a recipe on file so I could be just running in circles with this.

Please sound off if this is familliar to anyone:

1lb. of Beeswax
1lb. of Vasilene
1lb. of Pafafin wax
1tsp. of STP (I know I've seen this before, just can't remember where)
Crayons to color.

My thought ( I've been told on more than one occasion that's the dangerious part) was to substitute the bg and vasilene in equal parts. The parafin should solidify the mix after emulsification( is that a word?). And remove some of the chance of the bg going rancid over time and temperature changes. Also, by substituting equal parts vasilene and bg I'm trying to remove the ammount of petrolium product in the final mix.

Folks that have been doing this for some time have told me that it's trial and error, I can cope with that, but if I'm chasing my tail with this bit of stove top alchemy let me know. I can always throw something else in there to change things up a bit I suppose. :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
odd suggestion from a yankee but its great poured over grits and im sure it would be the same poured over rice.

WILCO
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I've used it with kindling in the wood stove......

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
probably works great but then id get slivers in my stomach!!
I've used it with kindling in the wood stove......

dale2242
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
AW, Man, Buck steaks just don`t taste right unless they are fried in Bacon grease.
Sour dough biscuits dredged in bacon grease before they are baked make a great side dish with the venison....dale

deep creek
02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
I use it for bait, the fox and coyotes,coons love it! they even come back later and eat the dirt i poured it on!

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
It is actually spelled Lawrys. It is seasoned salt. I grew up on the stuff. I use Tony Chacere's Creole Seasoning now. Both are the GOOD STUFF. Adding bacon just makes them better.

http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Spice-Blends/Seasoned-Salt.aspx (http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Spice-Blends/Seasoned-Salt.aspx)

Got'cha.

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback, though I think one of the Mod's may be itchin' to move this to the recipe's area. ;-)

I have read, looked around and read more about the salt issue and ways to render the good stuff down. I came across a "formula" for some pan lube I wanted to substitute the greese into for the aroma alone. Won't be using the "raw" product, as mentioned too many other tasty reasons to be spare with this liquid gold. But for arguments sake the "formula" called for vasilene which is almost the consistancy of slightly chilled bg( =bacon greese) at room temp. By mixing equal parts the outcome is hoped to be the stable solid of vasilene at room temp with the aroma of bg when burned. Going to have to spend some time going through Ken's collective Lube thread to see if there is already a recipe on file so I could be just running in circles with this.

Please sound off if this is familliar to anyone:

1lb. of Beeswax
1lb. of Vasilene
1lb. of Pafafin wax
1tsp. of STP (I know I've seen this before, just can't remember where)
Crayons to color.

My thought ( I've been told on more than one occasion that's the dangerious part) was to substitute the bg and vasilene in equal parts. The parafin should solidify the mix after emulsification( is that a word?). And remove some of the chance of the bg going rancid over time and temperature changes. Also, by substituting equal parts vasilene and bg I'm trying to remove the ammount of petrolium product in the final mix.

Folks that have been doing this for some time have told me that it's trial and error, I can cope with that, but if I'm chasing my tail with this bit of stove top alchemy let me know. I can always throw something else in there to change things up a bit I suppose. :bigsmyl2:

No biggie with the salt.

Boil the lard with water 50/50 it will desolve the salt but not touch the smoked flavor/aroma of the fat.

brassrat
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Up in yankee Ct. it may be kind of rare to use bacon fat, but from forums, I have learned to. Now living/ working around puerto-ricans is not rare at all, nor is the lawreys powder. We also have Adobe seasoning which a certain PR guy tells me they use on their wimmon :)

dragon813gt
02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I add it to mashed potatoes. It's also the secret ingredient in my mashed potato soup. As great as it is I don't use it very often. But I also don't cook with butter or salt. I try to eat as healthy as I can.

scottiemom
02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
My beloved hubby Jim, while I was out of town for two weeks decided to help and clean up the kitchen while I was gone. He did a great job- but guess what he threw out? Yep, my lovely jar of beautiful bacon grease. Oh my....

mold maker
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Now there's an excuse to fry more baccon.

dragonrider
02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
My dad's favorite sandwich, back before the first heart attack and the quadruple bypass, and even after when he could have one without my mom knowing, was cold homemade baked beans and cold bacon grease. He'd smear the bread with bg just like peanut butter, pile on the cold beans, the top slice of bread he was golden. The world could burn down around him and he'd sit there and finish that sandwich.

P.K.
02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
My dad's favorite sandwich, back before the first heart attack and the quadruple bypass, and even after when he could have one without my mom knowing, was cold homemade baked beans and cold bacon grease. He'd smear the bread with bg just like peanut butter, pile on the cold beans, the top slice of bread he was golden. The world could burn down around him and he'd sit there and finish that sandwich.

{{{{Chuckle}}}}

There are just some things in this world that are not rushed...

I started this thread in the hopes of just trying something a little diffrent. Well I guess we all have, thanks for the memories, anecdotes and good fun! Just reading some of the concoctions on here would have a cardiologist popping Crestor like Tick-Tack's. :bigsmyl2:

johnnybar
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Which is? Lowery's seasoned salt

2HighSpeed
02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
A good use for bacon grease.... It's gonna sound gross but it works. Take yourself some cocoa butter and mix it half and half with bacon grease. Don't mix alot though cuz after a month or two it starts to smell horrid. Use it in exczema. Wipes mine out quick. However it doesn't work on my son. We have to use beeswax on him. He's probably become immune to cocoa butter lmao, I put it on him religiously from birth till about age 6 cuz he has super dry skin. Someone here sells beeswax and I had inquires about it but can't find the thread for the life of me.

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Here you go

randyrat
Vendor Sponsor

He has probably sold a TON of beeswax here.:-D

2HighSpeed
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Yep thats him. Gonna email him here in a few. After I go make a sandwich, This bacon thread got me hungry!

Here you go

randyrat
Vendor Sponsor

He has probably sold a TON of beeswax here.:-D

Beau Cassidy
02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
A vivid youthful memory is my grandmother frying up a mess of bacon in a black iron skillet- I mean crisp- followed by frying some eggs in said grease. The fried eggs had the bacon pieces in them. Man that was good!

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Cast iron skillets are to heavy for camping and backpacking.

My bacon and eggs taste just as good as the ones my aunt used to do on her wood burning cast iron stove IF I cook them the same way. MMM MMM GOOD:-D

TheGrimReaper
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Yum, I like to add to my pinto beans and poke sallit when I make them. Handy to have around.

gnoahhh
02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Use of bacon, and lard, and oh-my-god other wonderful things is all well and good-- right up until you have your first heart attack. Trust me on this, I've been there. Since that life altering event I haven't touched bacon or lard (and even 'real' butter) in almost five years now. Add to that virtually eliminating red meat from my diet, and other dietary restrictions such as no salt, has seen my cholesterol drop from 180-200 down to under 100, and my blood pressure drop from 160/90 to under 130. I do miss those delicacies, but I like being alive even more, if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, I treat myself to something 'good' once in a while but it's for a special occasion or a reward kind of thing. And you know what, at first it was tough not having bacon and eggs a few times a week, or greasy hamburgers and thick juicy steaks, but now I'm so used to my diet that I don't miss it anymore, and life is just as good.

Down with bacon, up with oatmeal!!!:)

Dark Helmet
02-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Also try Easy Skin, made by another vendor here LsStuff.
http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=8535a5dc7760806b2a87f3a68697770f