PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hill Press or What Cheer Press

Randy C
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I will call them tomorrow and order, I am looking to see what advice you could give me.
I am going to look on YouTube it has been a long time since I looked at this on there. :coffee:

The W/H press is 449.00 can I add Hydraulic feature to this press I Have arthritis’ How much does the W/C press cost and is it hydraulic only or can it be used as a manual press at first and add the hydraulics later It would be nice to be able to upgrade later and save a little now, my wife told me to order my press this week we have some extra cash from my check so I am not going to miss a chance like this, she knows it will keep me out of our other account and keep me on a budget, I will need a Core cutters, core mould, cannelure tool maybe, shell adapter, Dies and everything else will come in a few weeks I want to do my 243 wssm first with J4 jackets for long range I can shoot a little over a half mile in my front yard. I live close to Minot ND any local swager's around.

The Walnut Hill press is a heavy duty press designed for long life and for serious bullet making.

To swage .50 BMG bullets faster and more easily the What Cheer press is recommended. The What Cheer with a 6" long stroke and full hydraulic power for the entire stroke length makes it the ideal lower cost hydraulic option for the 50 BMG

Reload3006
02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I have pretty serious arthritis too. But havent found that I have ever needed a hydraulic press. The Hydraulic press is handy if you ever plan to make your own wire. That is something that the Walnut hill cannot do according to Richard. If making 6mm bullets is your main goal the walnut hill will do that for you with ease. No more work than a reloading press. But as always pushing a button is much easier than pulling a lever. But you can buy a pretty elaborate set of swaging dies for the difference in cost. I have found that the Walnut hill will do everything I need done so far I am making 45,30,22 jacketed bullets and 45,44,38,9mm lead bullets with it I have used both pure lead and the harder alloy he sells. The harder alloy is a lot more work and maybe if I were more arthritic than I am the What cher press would be better but its a lot of money to chew on. I am on the maximum dose of Celebrex for my arthur if that helps you and I havent noticed that i need a hydraulic.

As far as I know you cannot upgrade your walnut hill to make it hydraulic. But then you could email these questions to Richard he will give you the straight dope.

Randy C
02-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you for your reply I think you hit the nail on the head I was also looking in to making things easier for when I get older and the option to doing more later on like making my own wire or larger bullets 50 cal. I have not seen what the What Cheer press looks like I will do a search I did not see one on YouTube.

midnight
02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Randy C: Right now I am swaging 30 & 375 cal jacketed bullets with the Walnut hill with very little effort. Have been using 20-1 for the 375 cores with no problem. I got the RCE Hydraswage from the A-Square auction and it's first use will be to extrude wire from the ton of soft range lead I've got. I'm not that young but arthritis hasn't gotten me yet. When it does the hydraulics will probably get more use. 50BMG bullets from belted magnum cases are in the near future. The Hydraswage will be handy then. Glad you didn't bid against me and run the price up. That one bid was my max and anyone could have got it for $10 more.

Last spring Richard told me he was building a larger press. That must be the "What Cheer". Did he say what the price would be?

Bob

mefunkymxw
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
swaging presses seem to be a decent investment, corbin's cheapest is like $629 is there a functional difference (or a large difference in load specifications) between corbin and walnut creek?

Lizard333
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I would go with the walnut hill, or even the sea girt from RCE. He is a stand up guy and a pleasure to work with. His press, I have the walnut hill, works like butter! You can readily get his dies, may be some wait as he is a one man shop, but he is a very meticulous guy, and the devils in the details.

If you want to use BT's dies, which I do, he makes an adapter for the bottom punch, and his auto ejector will work on the walnut hill. Looks funny, but beats the heck out of beating bullets out with a hammer.

Nice to see someone getting into swaging, and wanting to do it with a swage press instead of a reloading press. Not to say it can't be done, just a whole lot better using something designed for swaging. You are heading in the right direction.

Randy C
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I talked to Richard and waiting for him to email me back so I can order my press and dies for 243wssm.
Will comment more later.

GunWhoreDer
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Hey Randy C, any update on this?
Thanks, GunWhoreDer

lmfd20
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I got an email last night after asking RCE about the Sea Girt and What Cheer presses. He said that they are both discontinued.
He is still offering the Walnut Hill.