PDA

View Full Version : need a little refrigerator help.

Beekeeper
02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Have a GE Profile ,double door , bottom freezer refrigerator.
Ice machine broken or frozen solid.
Is the auger type. Drawer and auger come out easily
Need to take the ice machine itself out to see and repair/replace as needed.
Book gives zero instructions on fixing anything.
Need to find instructions on removal of ice machine.
Any one have the knowledge or know where I can find it?

Have the unit shut off for now but still want to remove it.

beekeeper

jim147
02-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Get me the model number so I can pull it up to see that we are talking about the same unit.

I'm going to guess it is using the standard GE electronic ice maker. If you have it off now, you can turn it on and push and release the shut off arm three times in ten seconds to watch it cycle. When it fills up you might see it overfill or short fill.

Most ice maker problems are caused by the water pressure coming to the unit.

jim

Blacksmith
02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Some years back after struggling mightily to take apart a washing machine to find what part I needed I went to the appliance parts store and discovered they had many make and model specific repair instruction books. Of course I bought one for my washer and discovered the secret remove two screw method of removing the cover. So I suggest a call to the parts store to see if there is a repair manual.

Beekeeper
02-10-2013, 11:14 AM
jim147,
According to the tag inside it is a model PFSF6PKXDWW serial number DT900094.

Turned it off last night and this morning pressed the test (?) button (so it is called) and it dumped the ice in the maker and refilled with water.
Am going to watch it today and see but would still like to remove the unit and give it a good cleaning.

beekeeper

jim147
02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
If you go to www.searspartsdirect.com and put in your model it might help. It might not, it's a pretty bad parts lookup.

That looks like the little Samsung I/M. There should be a screw holding down a cover on the side of the refrigerator. This covers the harness and lets you unplug it. Once unpluged just push down on the button looking thing on the top front of the I/M and pull.

jim

Johnch
02-10-2013, 12:25 PM
1 thing for later
Check the water filter for the ice maker

Many have them
If partly pluged
It causes problems

Mine costs $8-10 to replace

So I do from time to time

John