PDA

View Full Version : First Casting Session with Lyman .429 250gn Devastator

Boyscout
02-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I tried to cast in the cold today with my new Lyman 250 gn. 44 cal HP mould. I wasn't very sucessful. Even though I pre-heated the mould on a hot plate, I had trouble moving quick enough to keep the mould and the HP pin hot enough to prevent wrinkling and didn't get good fill on the nose. I was casting outside in about 40 F and a breeze. Four good bullets in a session is not very productive. With the wood handled pin there wasn't much room under the Lee bottom pour pot either. I will probably try to use the ladle next time and see how it works. I'm finding different moulds seem to cast better one way or the other.

Any suggestions for this mould that works for you?

454PB
02-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I've cast at 40 degrees, but not in a wind. Hollow point and hollow base moulds require a lot of heat, as well as preheating of the mould and mould pin.

rintinglen
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
I had real trouble casting hollow points from the Lyman molds. What I eventually did was made a hanger out of a bent up metal coat hanger, so the tip of the hollow point pin hung down into the metal, and preheated the pin that way, while holding a corner of the mold in the melt for 30-45 seconds. I'd quickly assemble and fill the mold, remove the pin and let it heat then dump the boolit and scurry around trying to get the next one cast. Running the pot hotter than normal, helped also, but I have to admit I never tried doing it in 40 degree temps with a wind blowing. At best, I may have managed 80-90 keepers per hour.

nighthunter
02-09-2013, 10:39 PM
You are correct that HP's require more heat. You will have to turn the heat up on your melting pot and cast as fast as the sprue will let you. The Lee 20 pound pot does have room enough for the Devastator mold but I'm not so sure about the 10 pound pot. If you have a ladle you can dip. Some molds do much better with a ladle and we all should benefit knowing how to use one. A little extra tin in your alloy will help with fillout when casting large cavity HP's.

Nighthunter

Boyscout
02-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I was using WW +1. I will try bumping it up to 2% tin and hotter lead.

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2013, 06:28 AM
heres a litte trick that helps me with the devestator molds. Before you start casting heat your mold up like you would any other mold and then take your hp pin and using a propane torch heat it till the tip is almost red hot. then start casting. Watch as you go and occasionaly you will need to reheat the pin. Cuts my reject rate down to about zero.

WHITETAIL
02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
+1 on keeping the pin hot.:holysheep

Larry Gibson
02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Try moving where it's a little warmer or at least out of the wind.

Second try a propane torch and piece of stiff wire to keep the HP pin hot. You can easiy adjust the location of flame by bending the wire and temp by flame adjustment.

To keep 45 2.1 happy I got the idea from the NRA Cast Bullet Handbook........

Larry Gibson

DIRT Farmer
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Cast hot and fast. As far as loads, my super redhawk likes them hot. I quit adding powder when it quit being fun, still no pressure on the primer and well within the book.

Yes i'm a woose