PDA

View Full Version : Dillon question Upgrade 450 to 550 or sell and get 650

Ken TN
02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I purchased a used 450 in great shape a few months ago. The prior owner passed away and his son sold the press. It was set up with the strong mount, aluminum roller handle, bullet tray, accessory bins and auto eject feature. It does not have auto prime or powder drop.

I have looked at the Dillon site and catalog. Should I upgrade this one to the 550 frame and then add the auto prime and powder features? Sell the 450 less all the goodies as I can put them a new 550, or say what the heck and step up to a 650. I do like having auto index on the Lee Pro 1000 I have used for many years...

Based on selling price of the used Dillon equipment I have seen it may not be more tha a few hundred additional over the updates to get a 650....

I know I got a good deal on the press as the options on it added up to more than I paid for it...

LUBEDUDE
02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, Speed costs money. Is it worth it to YOU?

seagiant
02-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi,
KEEP THE 450!!! Yea that's right!

joe i
02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Ken,

LUBEDUDE makes the most important point, as only you know your money situation and reloading needs.

Judging from what you said, if you're used to and like the auto index, I'd skip the 550 and go for the 650 if you want to reload rifle cartridges as well as pistol ones. I went straight from a Rock Chucker to the 650 with no problem, although I'm a mechanically-minded person anyway. One caveat -- if you do go for the 650, if you can afford it go whole hog and buy the casefeeder also. It was designed for the case feeder and it would be majorly frustrating to feed 20 or 25 cases at a time into the little tube, and then pull the handle for a minute, and then refill the tube again, repeat ad nauseam.

I have a couple friends who only reload for handguns, and they really like the Square Deal B, which also has auto-index. Depending on your needs, you might give that a look as well.

Finally, if you're not mechanically-minded, or even if you are but just want/need things to be simple (or if you reload many different calibers and would like your caliber conversions to be cheaper), maybe the 550 is exactly what you're looking for!

So the bottom line is that you're going to have to sort through all this different info and decide for yourself. As LUBEDUDE said.

-Joe

GT1
02-09-2013, 07:44 PM
When I decided I was going to get a progressive to last the rest of my life, it was an easy call to choose the 650. It is a thing of beauty to operate and ticks over like a watch. I have added the roller handle, and primer catcher mod, and now it has a GSI bullet feeder. It doesn't get much better.

Alvarez Kelly
02-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I have owned and used the Dillon Square Deal, the RL300 (See Seagiant's photo), the RL450, the RL550, the XL650, and the Super 1050. I also own a Dillon 900...

But to answer your question directly, it would NOT be cost effective to upgrade the 450 to 550 specs. With the used Dillon market as it is, you could sell the 450, keeping the optional items of course, and buy a 550. It would probably end up costing you less than you think.

IF you wanted a 650, the strong mount, bullet tray, and roller handle will work on it also.

Now... only YOU can decide if you want a 550 or a 650. Have you used the 450? Do you like it? Everyone has their own opinions, but I can tell you I have two 550's side by side on my bench. One set up for large primers, and the other for small primers. I also reload on dedicated Square Deals. The 550 is my favorite. It is very easy to learn and work with. It is Dillon's most versatile press.

FYI, there is a backorder situation at Dillon right now for presses and some other items. Now is a great time to sell used stuff, but you may have to wait should you choose to buy new.

Good luck in your decision! No matter what you choose to do, you will win. :-)

seagiant
02-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Ken,
I wasn't trying to be flippant in my post. I owned a 550B and never warmed up to it. Most people who have one says it does everything but fry eggs in the morning! I have 2 RL-300's and think they are hands down the best Dillon I have used,but I'm in no hurry and the 450 is probably pretty close to it in operation.

I have found that sometimes people want the sportiest,(insert,car,bike,women,ect.) till they have it and then long for something more simple with less headaches! Go figure!

Ken TN
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input. I have used the 450 and feel like I would be happy with the 650 with auto index. I would like to find one and take it for a test drive. I have been watching the used prices and that is why I had a question on updating the 450. I have seen some on Flea Bay go for a crazy amount... It is funny that the aftermarket makes many things to take the slack out of the 550 tool head and the 450 did not have that problem.

C.F.Plinker
02-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I started out with a C-H single stage press then got a Dillon 300 when they came out with them. Sold the C-H several years later and even later sold the 300 and got a 550B. Used that as my only press for over 10 years. Then I got into loading rifle and also using H110 for some of the pistol loads. After some wheel spinning I would up getting a single stage press because it was easier to do the case prep on than the 550 and was also easier to make short runs where I was using the H110 powder. Now I have two presses on the bench. Have you considered keeping the 450 for some jobs and adding a 550 or 650 for the cartridges you load the most?

Give Sportsmans Warehouse (84th and I-25) a call. They used to have a 550 set up in their display of presses. If it is still there, it might be a place where you could look at one.

kerreckt
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I have used a 450 since they came out about in 1983, or so. I have not "upgraded" it in fact, I have done nothing to it except load about 300,000 rds. with no problems....ever. Why would I change anything?

Iowa Fox
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Thats sounds like a mighty nice 450 that you purchased. Owning one myself I say keep it and buy another press. The 450s are so simple but can really turn out some fine reloaded ammo.

1bluehorse
02-12-2013, 01:44 AM
I have used a 450 since they came out about in 1983, or so. I have not "upgraded" it in fact, I have done nothing to it except load about 300,000 rds. with no problems....ever. Why would I change anything?

Good point !!

Lloyd Smale
02-12-2013, 06:43 AM
just keep in mind when pricing the comparison that the 650 was made from the gitgo to use a case feeder with and to me is kind of awkward without one. I do like a 650 better then my lnls but if i was going to go progressive without a case feeder id rather a lnl. If it were me id sell it and buy a 550. things is with a 550 is theres less things to go wrong or be tweeking while reloading and that alone goes along ways toward making them about as fast as a true progressive in a day of long haul loading. Ive owned and have used about all of the progressives on the market and if held down and could only have one press my choise hands down would be a 550.

mister gizmo
02-12-2013, 09:24 AM

You might want to "upgrade" your 450 like I did two years ago. Modified the shell plate base by drilling two holes for the ejection thingy and ground the base so that the completed round could fall into the blue bucket.

The powder measure is still manually operated, as is the primer feeder block.

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
i looked at upgrading the 450 i have in the garage to have the primer feeder,and the powder upgrade.
i think it was about 200 bucks.
i'll do it at some point, but i don't have any where to put another 550.
i have 4-550's and one 650 set up now.
if i did set up the 450 i'd set it and forget it for one load.[maybe my 45-70]

Ken TN
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I will be using the Dillon for Pistol calibers.
My current press inventory is a Lee Reloader press for Cast Boolit sizing using Lee sizers, a Pro 1000 for 44 mag at this time, Classic Turret for 204, 223, 7TCU.
RCBS Reloader Special 3 for 308/30-06.
A Redding T-7 for 444 and 45-70 and of course the Dillon 450 set up for 45 ACP at this time.
You might say I have a few too many presses BUT I'm sure this forum would NEVER say that.

The Dillon upgrade to auto powder, primer and a 550 frame will be just over 300. If I can sell the 450 on Flea Bay for the going price of @$250 then a New 550 is in easy reach. A used 650 might be found for about the same dollar amount as a new 550.

I do appreciate the input here.

TNsailorman
02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I guess it boils down top how much time you have and how much is speed important to you. I have owned 2 Square deals, 1 550 and 2 450's. Since I am now retired and speed is not important and I have plenty of time, I have sold the progressives and now load on a RCBS Rockchucker and a C-H 205. Both are single stage and as fast as I need to go. Of all the Dillons I owned, I like the 450's the best. They had solid heads and there was no movement in the dies once screwed into the head. The 550 does not have enough movement to worry about but I know its there and I like things rock solid. It really comes down to a matter of preferences and what you like. james

Viper225
02-14-2013, 01:04 AM
My first Dillon was a 450. Then a 550B several years ago. Just sold it and bought a slightly used 550B with grease fittings.
I like the Tool Head Feature, and the Star Wheel.
I had no problem with the 450's manual Powder and Primer system.

I would be inclined to just upgrade to the Tool Head Frame. Get a Star Wheel, and then use the Manual primer and powder feed myself.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2013, 05:52 AM
I guess if you really want my opinion id just use what you have. You allready own a good press that will crank out a good ammount of ammo. If anything save and buy a 550 down the road and keep one set up with small primers and one with large.

David2011
02-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Ken,

The 650 is a fine press and is very fast. It's also considerably more expensive for caliber conversions for the 650 than the 550. IMO, the auto-indexing feature is way overrated, mostly by people who have either never run a 550 or not used one very much. It's just not an event to flip the shellholder around as you pickup another boolit and another case. My bench has a Square Deal B, a 550 and a 650. While most of my rifle and .44 Mag is done on single stage presses, the 550 is set up for .223, .30 Carbine, .45-70, anything with a .30-'06 head and all of my pistol cartridges except .44 Mag. The 650 is only configured for .38 Super, .223, .40 S&W and .45ACP. I do prefer the 650's primer handling to the 550 and know I'm not alone.

I though about getting a second 650 to eliminate primer size changes but when I looked at how many caliber conversions I would have to replace it looked uneconomical for the gain realized.

David