PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on holster

white eagle
02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
for my S&W Model 66-1?
I am in the market for a holster for this piece
does anyone have any favorites they would care to share?
I am not sure that I would carry it as a cc but that is not out of the question
it has target stocks on it now but I may change them out at some point as well

Silver Jack Hammer
02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
For wearing around town covered, Kramerleather is the only way to go. Buy the holster and the belt as a system. The leather is horse hide double stitched. Your 35 ounce K frame will be very comfortable as the belt evenly distributes the weight on your hips. The holster fits the gun so smooth and tight a thumbstrap is not needed. Stuff's expensive tho. It wears like iron.

For field wear I use El Paso Saddlery. I have many rigs for many of my guns from them.

Groo
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Groo here
Simple Rugged.

429421Cowboy
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Galco DAO, lets you wear it either strong side or cross draw, i use a SAO for my Super Blackhawk and have had very good luck with it, strong and comfortable. Should be able to find one around $60 on the web.

Tatume
02-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm only marginally satisfied with the Galco SAO and DAO for the Blackhawk and S&W Mountain Gun (wearing this one right now), respectively. I have a Mernickle PS6SA on order. If I like it as much as people tell me I should, I may try their PS6DA.

Dan Cash
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Milt Sparks.

white eagle
02-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks fella's

rintinglen
02-10-2013, 12:00 PM
There are simply too many good manufacturers to recommend one over others. However, there are several styles I can recommend. I like pancake style holsters for casual or winter concealment. My 66 rides in one on occasion. For inside the waist carry, I recommend either a summer special or a Bianchi Pistol Pocket style holster. For hunting, I like the old Safety Speed spring cross draw, or the thumb snap angled cross draw. I have also carried it in a Bianchi X-15 medium. If inflation has settled in to your waist band as it has mine, the shoulder and cross draw rigs might not cut the mustard, so don't over look a good old FBI style thumb break.60870

Rick R
02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm only marginally satisfied with the Galco SAO and DAO for the Blackhawk and S&W Mountain Gun (wearing this one right now), respectively. I have a Mernickle PS6SA on order. If I like it as much as people tell me I should, I may try their PS6DA.

I've got a PS6SA for my 4 5/8" SBH and liked it so much I bought a PS6DA for my 4.2" Redhawk.

With a good belt I don't even know the SBH is there, I can carry the Redhawk all day long without problem but it is a hunk of pistol. I think you'll like either holster.

:drinks:

Tatume
02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the encouragement; your words are consistant with everything I've been told about Mernicle holsters. I will almost certainly get a PS6DA for my 41 Rem Mag S&W Mountain Gun also.

Take care, Tom

Viper225
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I have several Lobo Enhanced Pancake holsters. They ride tight. Lots of options. Delivery in around 6 weeks. I would not have several of them, if I did not like them. Ray makes a great holster, and the price is right for a custom holster.

I like open top with Optional Inner Hammer Shield for CC. When bumming around the farm or in the woods I like a Thumb Break for additional security.

http://www.lobogunleather.com/

Bob

just10mm
02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
My Favorite Iron gets wrapped in El Paso Saddlery, I love the old west tooling with modern design...