PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why the Chinese Mausers haven't hit the market.

gwozdz
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
About 15 years ago I got a bunch of the Chiang Kai-Shek rifles (Mauser copies) as well as some others from Century Arms in St. Albans VT. I picked out as many different roll stamps as I could. Some even had decent barrels and shot well. They had tons stacked in their warehouse, yet I have not seen any at gunshows. I wonder if they are waiting for all of the better 98Ks to sell off first rather than flooding the market with these. Just wondering.

Hardcast416taylor
02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
I remember when they started coming in country from Century and a few other importers. The thing I heard from a source or 2 was they had questionable hardening of the reciever besides sometimes iffy metalurgy. I also haven`t seen any either in the last decade or so.Robert

gwozdz
02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I recalled that also about the integrity of the metal, but if they survived the many wars they were in, I gotta think they couldn't have been that bad. But I don't plan on shooting mine much. I do have one receiver barreled in 30-06 that I'm finishing up as a sported. Just need to drill and tap for the scope mounts.

historicfirearms
02-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I haven't owned one of their Mauser copies, but have owned seven other Chinese firearms and have been nothing but impressed with their quality. Most people see "made in china" and immediately think "junk". I dread the day the Chinese military takes over our country because they will be very well armed.

Bob Busetti
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
I bought one in the late eighties for $25. The seller had 4-5 rifles all were pretty much used up. He was selling them for the actions. I made a nice 7x57 out of it. Got a new surplus barrel from Sarco for $30 + frt. Never had a problem with it. Makes a good truck gun.
Bob

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
back in the 1990's the US blocked importation of the chinese SKS and the steel core ammo for it. Maybe they blocked importation of bolt guns too ? IDK, just a thought ?
Jon

swheeler
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I bought one in 1988 from Century for $29 and put a surplus 7x57 barrel on it, I think the barrel was new in the white for $25, it shot fine.

MUSTANG
02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
As a quirky side story:

Back in 1978 the US Army dug up a cache of weapons just on the South side of the Korean DMZ. General Vessey (Commander in Chief US and Combined Forces Korea) had the army send a few of the weapons over to the US Marine Detachment at the Embassy in Seoul. Since I had completed a Marine Corps correspondence course as an "Armorer" , I was assigned to the additional duty of cleaning (Cosmoline covered them so you could not even tell there was a firearm in the mess), rendering inoperative, and mounting as Wall hangers.

We had 2 Tokarov T-33 pistols, 2 AK-47's, 3 PPSH-41's, and 4 Chinese Mausers. The Chinese Mausers were first rate when cleaned up, almost as clean looking as the better Mitchell's Mausers of a few years ago. Unfortunately was not allowed to take them out and shoot them before rendering Inoperative.

Mustang