PDA

View Full Version : Pls tell me why I need...

lead4me
02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm looking at a BH 45colt convertible, Not sure what length barrel I should get. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated. But here is my real question, why with a SBH 44mag 10 1/2" do I need a 45 colt.
My thinking is "I want one" but really what can a 45 do that I can't do with the 44mag? I know that I can load the 45 colt to almost the 44mag with less pressure but is one "better" than the other.
I was gonna get a rifle to match the pistol, so does one complement the other better? I have never had a 45colt of any configuration so I don't have any experience with one.
Is the 45 more cast boolit friendly? Just looking for your thought's as shooter's/casters with ownership of both tool's.

Bigslug
02-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Well, I think your answer lies somewhere in the fact that you can't DO much with a 10 1/2" Blackhawk, other than possibly use it as a pole vault to get over castle walls.

The 4 5/8" convertible would give you roughly equivalent barrel/chamber/overall length to a 1911, and should roughly duplicate the ballistics of same with your .45ACP cylinder. The 5.5" version doesn't give up anything for the .45ACP, but gives you a little more space to burn a large .45 Colt powder charge. If you aren't planning CCW or cowboy competition, the 5.5" makes more sense.

With proper modern brass in a modern gun, the .45 Colt can equal or outstrip the .44 (I would get a replacement aftermarket STEEL grip frame for a non-Super Blackhawk), but I tend to regard them as basically equal given equal launch platforms.

drklynoon
02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Why do you need a .45 colt. HMMMMM I would begin by asking why do we need most of the guns we have? See need is a strange term. I need food, water, and shelter everything else is really just a want so needing a .45 Colt is akin to needing a new suit or dishwasher. It just makes you feel more complete. I also agree with the OP 5.5" is just awesome. I have an old model Vaquero 5.5 and that is one great handling gun.

rexherring
02-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Because everyone needs a BH .45. I have the 7 1/2 inch but I'd love a 5 1/2 too.

jmort
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
"...the .45 Colt can equal or outstrip the .44"

No but it gets close to .44 at lower pressure with a bigger bullet. The .45 Colt is a beautiful thing. From Cowboy loads to kill anything on earth loads. .452 is an evolving caliber - .45 Colt to .454 to .460. The .44 is the spawn of the .44 Special and the caliber dead ended at that point. .45 Colt my favorite and thanks to SASS we have more guns and ammunition than ever.

HATCH
02-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Well its a fine line between need and want.
I havent figured it out yet because i have five guns that physically look identical except they are different a caliber.
If all you do is range shooting then your barrel length is fine. But i have multiple guns in the same caliber that the only difference is barrel length. 3 inch vs 5.25. Doesn't sound like much but its the difference of carrying it everyday or just taking it to the range.

lead4me
02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree that "need" is not the best term to describe my attraction to the 45 colt. I guess I'm just trying to justify in my mind the purchase of said side arm. I carry a 1911 for SD so the colt would just be a....new toy to be honest i guess. SWMBO had just posed the question of "why do you need another pistol?" I have used the I bought it for you line on the last 2, so I think shes on to that.
Guess I was looking for the " A must have for any serious shooter line" But really I do hunt with the 44 mag and it does a wonderful job on whitetail/black bear with the lee 310. But as has been said the 10 1/2" barrel on the SBH, while a great hunting pistol, for casual carry while scouting/hiking is not really practical.
Wow, while typing this out I guess I have answered my own question...I really do NEED a 5.5" BH in 45 colt. Now I just have to convince the wife how much "she needs" a 45 colt.

dverna
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I think that by asking the question you know the answer.

There is no "need" for a .45 if you already have a .44 Mag. Any ballistic "advantage" between them is insignificant. I have a .44 SBH and a Marlin 1894 in .44 as well. Sold my .45's (Ruger pistols and Rossi rifle) as I like the Marlin better as a rifle (more accurate and slicker) and it made no sense to have two sets of guns that did the same job.

fcvan
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
While I don't have a BH 45 Colt, I do have a Vaquero 38-40/.40 S&W, and one in 45 Colt, both 4 5/8" in length. I don't have a lot of experience with the SBH in .44 Mag as my wife has only had hers about a year. Hers is 3 3/4" with a round trigger guard, a distributor exclusive for Talo. My first Ruger Single Action was the 38-40/.40 S&W combo. After that I had to have one in 45 Colt!

After finding an original Vaquero in 45 I did a lot of reading and subsequent load development. There are volumes about the ability of the 45 Colt to deliver the same weight boolit at the same velocity as a 44 Mag at less pressure. There are also volumes of reports on how a 255 RF at 1200 fps or a 300 RF at 1000 fps will drop just about any North American game. Neither of these loads are anywhere near the top end of performance available from the SBH or the original Vaquero.

Between the 44 or 45 I went with the 45 Colt because a couple of years ago I scored an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine in 45 Colt. The above listed loads gan another ~200 fps in the 20" barrel. I can load the carbine a tad warmer than I can the Vaquero but am leaving loads down in the +P category as that is more than enough. However, launching a 200 RNHP at 1850 FPS is fun shooting in the carbine :)

So, my final recommendation: buy and shoot the 44. We don't need another 45 Colt enthusiast feeding at the same brass supply!

Beagle333
02-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Pls tell me why I need... (insert any caliber here)
Answer is the same.... because you didn't already have one! :twisted::drinks:

williamwaco
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Six of one, one half dozen of the other.

You really need one of both.
I like barrels from six to seven and one half inches.

The pressure you need to worry about is not chamber pressure, it is your blood pressure.

I have been told that having a .44 Mag without a .45 Colt as a companion can raise your blood pressure twenty points, and in some cases even your cholesterol.

Go for it.

runfiverun
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
i have a 41 mag ,44 special,and 45 convertable blackhawk.
actually a pair of each.
my holster belt has 2 carriers on it and it looks funny with only one revolver in the pouch.
but i can carry two different calibers at the same time if i want.
[three if i take a levergun]

if you plan on walking around with the revolver on your hip get the 4-5/8ths barell it's a lot easier.

williamwaco
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
i have a 41 mag ,44 special,and 45 convertable blackhawk.
actually a pair of each.
my holster belt has 2 carriers on it and it looks funny with only one revolver in the pouch.
but i can carry two different calibers at the same time if i want.
[three if i take a levergun]

if you plan on walking around with the revolver on your hip get the 4-5/8ths barell it's a lot easier.

Ditto!

I like longer barrels but not on my hip.

captaint
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Aw, come on guys - The hell with need. Ya want one, great. Go get one. You know it's gonna be fun !!
OK, that's why you NEED it !!........... Mike

DLCTEX
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
One thing for sure you can do with a 45 that you can't with a 44 is shoot 45 boolits!:Fire: And the convertible feature is like two guns in one.:-D

rintinglen
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Right now, unless you already have brass and/or ammo, I'd pass on the 45 colt combo and get a shorter barreled 44 mag, if packing it is to be your pleasure. trying to find ammunition is difficult in the extreme. 2009 revisited here abouts. Only ammo on the shelves is hunting stuff for rifles and shotgun shells.

stubshaft
02-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Just look at all of the 45 molds you can't use right now!

Harter66
02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
45 colt/ACP
Allows case lengths and data from GAP to Colts should you have to make the most of your brass, Boolits from 141gr RBto 310 and every shape of boolit/bullet.

44 mag
You get data for magazine/special maybe auto mag but only if you build a cylinder for it, 5 bullet shapes just a few weights .

I might be a little bias having a 7 1/2 in RBH in Colts w/a new ACP cylinder due back in hand any day. I haven't found it to be any more to carry hunting or scouting than an BHP, 6" Sec6 357.

youngda9
02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
You can't put a price on happiness.

MT Gianni
02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
If you really like your 10 1/2" the question is what do you lack. I love my 45's and 44 special Blackhawks but you need a hip carrier, handy length gun in a large caliber for something other than bench and stand hunting. I will add more to the mix and suggest the 44 Lipsey special in 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" guns that use your existing molds and dies, a 44 mag in the same lengths or the 45 in those lengths. If the 101/2" 44 was my only big bore and I was prevented from getting another I would send it to a smith to cut the bbl back to 6". I hope that I have added more scenerios to your problem that "help".

Cherokee
02-10-2013, 11:48 PM
45 Colt is a good thing to have, I like 7.5" and carry them on my hip. As a matter of fact, I don't see why 10.5" can't be a hip gun. I carred a 10" OM Blackhawk in the Everglades for 5-6 years (in the 60's) and never had a problem or felt it cumbersome to use the many times I did use it. Expand your experience and get the 45 Colt in whatever length you like.

Jack Stanley
02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I tend to favor the forty-four magnum but then , my pair of model twenty-nines are in four and six inch . The four goes with me out cutting wood and doing other chores and the six goes out target shooting and poking holes in deer .

If you like loading rounds heavy then guns like the Blackhawk are the one to use if you like turning a forty-five into a magnum . I had a forty-five convertable years ago with a seven and a half inch barrel . Nice gun and I still like it but I have the pair I mentioned and they are perfect for me . The question for me comes down to just how much do I have to hot rod a forty-four to kill a whitetail deer ?

You got different questions to answer if ya got gritters big enough to eat your lunch then start on you . If you like it buy it and try it , if you like simple buy a shorter gun in the same caliber with a five or six inch barrel .

Jack

mdi
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
KEEP LOGIC OUT OF THE EQUATION! It took me several years to get used to purchasing something that I really didn't need (and who is to say what a "need" really is). Now I'm a bit happier with my 5, .44 Magnums...

Moonie
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
"...the .45 Colt can equal or outstrip the .44"

No but it gets close to .44 at lower pressure with a bigger bullet. The .45 Colt is a beautiful thing. From Cowboy loads to kill anything on earth loads. .452 is an evolving caliber - .45 Colt to .454 to .460. The .44 is the spawn of the .44 Special and the caliber dead ended at that point. .45 Colt my favorite and thanks to SASS we have more guns and ammunition than ever.

Obviously you have never heard of the 445 SM or 444 Marlin.

Idaho Mule
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
WHAT!!!??? Someone here doesn't own a .45 Colt??? This is a travesty in my opinion. You should purchase that gun as soon as possible. Not sure of where you live but here in Idaho I think it's against the law not to have at least one gun chambered for .45 Colt. Once you get the revolver you will have to get a lever gun to go with it. You don't wanna walk around all leaned over to one side just because you're out of balance ya know. Suggest 5.5" brl. for easy packing. They are lots of fun to shoot, load for, and just fondle. Go now, and bring that RBH home. JW

45sixgun
02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Whew, after reading all that I'm ready to go out and get another one myself! Not worth it though if SWMBO doesn't give in. A happy wife is worth more than ten safes full of any guns.

Ok, sermon's over. I have the 5.5 Convertible and my other revolvers are nothing but jealous because of all the time it gets. The big hole in the end of that barrel gets my heart beating every time. Thumbing in those big rounds connects you with the cowboys and pioneers that tamed our country. It's the gun of dreams and legends. Everyone should have a .45 Colt! Good luck resisting that urge....