PDA

View Full Version : Where has Ranch Dog gone?

cavalrymedic
02-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Does anyone know if Ranch Dog is still in business? I've been to his website and he's not selling any molds and only has links to send e-mails to Lee Precision. Is he having supply issues with Lee? It wouldn't surprise me too much if Lee put all custom work on hold while they try and catch up to the latest buying frenzy. I hope there is good news about Ranch Dog. I just started using his molds and was looking forward to buying more from him.

2wheelDuke
02-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Ranch Dog stopped production months before the current political craziness. I love some of his designs.

crappie-hunter
02-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I sent a message to lee precision several months ago asking if they had any plans to include the Ranch Dog designs in their regular inventory, their answer, (not at this time) .

birddog
02-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Have talked with Mike several times by phone and he is spending more time with family and ranch issues. Super guy and he will be missed, I too have several of his molds.
Charlie

Goatwhiskers
02-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Ranch Dog shut down his business to tend to things in his life that had become more important, life gets that way. Lee may make some of his designs later, another company, I think NOE, is making the 311165 mold , don't know about others. I'm using the 175 and 190 gr designs in .35 cal, also the above mentioned .30 cal and love them, wish I'd bought others. GW

runfiverun
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
here is more heart breaking news for you guy's.
michael is now a model 92 fan,and rarely if ever shoots a marlin anymore.
i am a founding memeber of his rossi websight..
i'm gonna give it a shameless plug.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/

monge
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a 45-70 mold of his shoots lites out , he is a true jeanous great designs and economy!

Ranch Dog
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, just decided to get out of the business. Never really wanted to be in the business but needed a way to write off the huge cost of developing all the molds that I did and using the customer base to actually evaluate the designs through their use. I've given the designs to Lee to do what they want with, they are interested in them but given the state of the industry, they don't need to make anything new right now. Lee, then and now, has been a positive and rewarding relationship that I will always reflect on. The family and the employees are really good people.

Main problem with the business was the amount of time it took; both customer contact via telephone and email, and then any time left was spent as a box packer. Only way out was to hire help but that did not interest me as I have enough people depending on me. Besides making sure my wife receives the attention she deserves; I have 5 children that depend on me from time to time with one (attending college) and her two children (my grandchildren) living in a home on our ranch, and then my parents in another home here as well. I cut my time devoted to family, property, and my career as an airline pilot pretty close and the business was just too much. It also takes a huge investment in inventory, more than most realize. I could have built another large three bedroom two bath house on the ranch for what was invested in RDO inventory. Moving closer to retirement, I was not comfortable having that money at risk. Sure, molds sell but if I croaked can you image the workload it would create for my wife trying to move? It really bothered me.

I'm still very much a Marlin guy but not a Remington guy. My favorite rifle will always be my 444T. I did do a bunch of house cleaning this past year but you also need to understand that I owned a huge amount of leverguns. Despite having a very large room specifically built for guns and reloading, larger than most living rooms, I had run out of space and had rifles stacked everywhere. I had Marlins that had not been shot in 5 to 10 years. My kids have what they want so I sold them. I still have more Marlin rifles than most. Another promise I have made to my wife who has NEVER questioned a purchase is that I would never saddle her getting rid of firearms down the road. With the problems from the heat I experienced last year and as sick as I got I decided it was time to go through round one of the elimination.

runfiverrun is correct concerning my interest in Rossi rifles. My interest started with the RG4570 and spread to the R92. In the process I ended up with both the 44 Mag and 45 Colt Circuit Judges and a 45-70 Govt Wizard and took a 44 barrel for it that I rechambered to 444 Marlin. The CJs didn't make the cut and are gone but the rest of the stuff is pretty cool. I think Braztech is becoming a force to recon with and I hope the Freedom Group purchase is seriously considered. I won't list the number of Taurus handguns I own but they have proven their worth to me through a huge volume of shooting. So yes, I am interested in ALL the Braztech products. Most notable thing I like about Rossi, they actually cut a chamber, groove, and bore to as near a SAAMI spec as I've seen. I started the Rossi-Rifleman forum as the firearm did not have a dedicated user interest group already. The knowledge presented through this source is an accurate assessment of the firearms and their potential.

I have my favorites in the Rossi line no doubt and the RG4570 is King with me. Had Marlin taken the time to develop a 45-70 Govt based on the 336 frame, I doubt that the 444 Marlin would have ever been born. This, coming from an absolute 444 NUT is quite a statement. My two 1895s where the first Marlin's to go after 6 months experience with the RG4570. Next as a favorite is the R92 chambered in 480 Ruger, what a package. With only 100 rifles out there this is one that will never leave. Coupled with my TLC478-375-RF, it is a brute. My latest addition is close on its heals, the R92 chambered in 454 Casull. I have just started shooting it with my TLC454-290-RF, sized at .452" and it is a hoss. At only 48.0 KPSI I'm seeing 2100 FPS from this 290-grain bullet and that is nothing to sneeze at out of a little carbine. It is also going to teach me something more about lead alloys because I'm going to learn how to push a bullet at it's max PSI. I have a TLC452-330-RF in the works for it. Ah heck, my little R92 357 Mag Scout is a favorite too. With my 175 grain bullet it has absolutely been punishing the hogs on my place and sealed the fate of my 1894C.

No doubt that my mold business will always be a pleasurable experience I hold. The customers were quite kind to me in support and praise plus the design work quite stimulating. I would be remiss in not mentioning forum member Tom Myers. Without his guiding help, I would never understood what I now know. He saw my vision and was always there helping me behind the scenes. Tom is a very quite guy but probably the most intelligent person I have ever come in contact with.

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Oh boy, now you've done gone and let me know of a 92 in 480 Ruger! I'm going to get in trouble with my gun budget! Gotta have one! After all, if you have the pistol then common sense says you gotta have the rifle, right? Well now I'm disappointed, it seems they no longer offer one in 480 Ruger, and I failed to find one on Gun Broker. I'll have to save money and watch for a used one to become available.

Ranch Dog
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, set up some searches for "92 480 Ruger" with email notification on GunBroker, that is what I did. Saw three listed last year. This 10-pointer did not know what to think of that 375-grain Ranch Dog whacking it!

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2012/Michael_buck_121214.jpg

About those GB email notices. I had just shot a hog with my R92 45 Colt Scout and was trailing it through a bottom when I received a notice for the 480 Ruger on my smart phone. I stopped right there and purchased the rifle with the "Buy It Now" button!

All my rifles are scout rifles given my preference for hunting with a rifle scope. This picture is handy, here is my most recent 92 chambered in 454 Casull.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/R92_454Casull/images/R92_454_13.jpg

The Rossi's do a great job of accepting a Tru-Oil finish which I just finished on this rifle. This little beast can go toe to toe with my 444T!

All my scouts have the Weaver K4 Scout scope installed on them; that includes the 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, this 454 Casull, and the 480 Ruger.

DLCTEX
02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Capt. Methane
02-10-2013, 10:40 PM
There is a group buy for a Lee manufactured Ranch Dog .380 mold going on now...the group buy info has an 8 week completion after the buy is completed. This may be the way to get them put into production.

bcr
02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I have only been casting for a little while, only have a handful of molds and even less time with three very young children. So I will always be thankful that I found out about RD closing down in time to order the two molds I got from him, 44-265 and 460-425. I haven't even had a chance to use them yet, but they will no doubt smite some things into dust and oblivion in their time. This was not a difficult decision to make, as I had never, ever seen a word of criticism about Mike or his molds, and I wish him and his family the very best.

cavalrymedic
02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Ranch Dog, thank you for your time and your great work. You have left a mark in the gun world. The 44 mold I purchased from you does everything it was intended to, and it keeps me shooting my Marlin.
Nice 10 pointer!

Ranch Dog
02-11-2013, 03:11 AM
I appreciate your comments fellows!

colt1960
02-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Ive got the .460-425gr RD mold for my 1895gbl and hoped to buy more but some thing are not ment to be I guess. good luck mike! Rick.

rintinglen
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Ranch Dog, enjoy your time left. Having Recently had a reminder that we are all just passing through, myself, I have been working towards getting my affairs in order. I understand the concern about not leaving a mess.
Thanks for the great little 32 mold though, it's a dandy, as is its 380 big brother. Would that I had found out about your stuff sooner, I'd have bought more.

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Just got the laugh of the day.
Went to the Dogs www and sent a request to Lee.
They replied that a 2 cavity will be $206 and a 6 banger only $233 when cut tu the Dogs specs (they have the reamers those Bast***s!).

Dog you are sadly missed.
So many designs i did'nt get to buy and use :'-(

runfiverun
02-11-2013, 09:35 PM
that was 190 bucks in shipping to denmark.

if we bug them enough they might just make them a production or semi-group buy item.

Chicken Thief
02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
that was 190 bucks in shipping to denmark.

if we bug them enough they might just make them a production or semi-group buy item.

Oh no Sir!
That was just for the moulds!!!

We probably will not be able to get around to introducing any new molds this year, as production of our regular molds is currently at a unprecedented level. You could order them on a custom basis, a custom double cavity is $206.23 and a custom six cavity is $233.25

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket Details

jmort
02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I spoke with Lee Precision last week and was told that "Custom" work would star up around late April/early May.

Maximumbob54
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Ranch!!!

The only .30-30 load I cast is your 165gr bullet. If I load them with Trail Boss for plinking fun or to have a new shooter shoot something full sized then then I don't put a gas check on them and they shoot real good and big smiles all around. If I use your load data and load them up for real then I use a Hornady gas check and they feel like the real deal. I have yet to find a deer during the season but I always bring those loads with me and have zero doubt they will work.

I'm going to miss all the other stuff like those rifle versions of the FCD for .38/.357, .41, .44, and .45 as they put the best crimp I've ever used. I never did have enough cash at the time to order all the stuff I wanted but that's true of everything....

I'm glad to hear you got better from being sick and I'm even happier to hear you are taking care of the wife and kids and enjoying the good life!!!!!!!

Ranch Dog
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
A couple of notes based on the previous posts...

My decision to close was poor timing for Lee's consideration of my designs anytime in 2013. They are a large manufacture and depend on distributor orders, my knowledge of the business tells me that their production is simply committed to existing mold models that have already been ordered. Given the state of the industry, I suspect that the CNC equipment is operating at capacity.

Lee does not use reamers, the equipment is programmed via the drawings and the blocks cut. There has always been a fixed set up charge, the charge is the same whether you buy one mold or 24, and at 25 or greater it is dropped. Buy enough and they will give you dealer pricing. I don't think the set up charge needs any explanation as they have a business to run that keeps a tight margin on production costs which is reflected in their pricing. You need to pay them to stop exiting production runs if you want small orders cut. I'm personally surprised that they even consider custom orders. I've often "tweaked" designs and paid those setup fees each time, I'm doing that on three molds right now, as I understand the work involved.

lastborn
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Here is the response I got from LEE.
They will be available on a custom basis, starting in April.

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

Ticket Details
Priority: Normal

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php

Outdoors
02-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Michael,
Just wanted to chime in to say that in all my transactions, you were always responsive, pleasant, and professional. A model small business owner. You sir, are a class act! I wish you all the best with your family and all your future endeavors.
God Bless,

Pat

warf73
02-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Here is the response I got from LEE.
They will be available on a custom basis, starting in April.

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

Ticket Details

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php

Very interseting as this was my email before starting the GB for the 380acp Ranch Dog.

Mr. Cox,

Custom 6 Cavity Molds = 25
Set up Fee= Waived
Shipping UPS= $38.07
Total:

Eight Weeks from order to Delivery

Payment would be required at the same time the order would be placed.

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

Ticket Details

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php?

Nothing about April in the 3 emails we sent back and forth about the detail of the order. Maybe because of the order size?

Canuck Bob
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I never bought a mold as I acquired all I needed from used sources. However I sure was helped to understand the intricacies of my 444S, 32 Special, and 32-20. I treasure your research and chamber diagrams in my computer files, thanks Mike. It was such a pleasure to find an expert that challenged the foolish notion that its "only a lever action bush rifle shooting hillbilly cast lumps" so accuracy is impossible. I bought my 444 decades ago and kept reading how spectacular magnums were and how my club bordered on obsolete. Yet I kepthelping guys track down wounded moose and mine were in a big heap were hit!

I think you and a few others really created a movement based in reality and success when big meplat heavy bullets started to be understood.

I got in a good scrap with the big C the last two years and man does a guy's focus change and mostly for the better. I'm not leaving a bunch of my treasures, sensible folk's junk, for my wife and kids to fret over.

nanuk
03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
What type of Airliner do you fly, Mike?