PDA

View Full Version : 12 guage wad diameter.

Nardoo
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi guys,

I pick up my new 12 guage double muzzle loader this week and am dying to use it. I want to make my own felt and card wads but do not know what diameter wad punch I need. Can I buy one off the shelf or do I need to have one made up? (my friend has a lathe). What diameter do I need?

Thanks
Allan

KCSO
07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
If it doesn't have a choke measure the bore and go 5 thou over bore. I use .720's on most of the un choked foreign guns. on a choked gun I like a soft cushion wad and like to go just a little under bore dia. as you can tip the hard card and the over shot into place. I save all my cut off barrel ends and make wad punches from them a 10 Ga barrel makes a good 12 bore wad and so on. Mine all fit in the drill press. I have a wad punch made by my great grandfather and it is heavy tin soldered aroound a mandrel and fitted with a chunk of old shovel handle for a grip. I will try and post some photo's and diameters.

piwo
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
My 12 guage double barrel percussion shotgun mikes at .721. My buddy bought what he thought was 12 gauge, but it mikes in the 7 "teens".. don't know unless you slug...... I actually just oiled the barrel, stuffed some newspaper in the barrel about an inch down, and poured melted parafin with a string tied in a knot at the "newspaper" end. When it sets up, just pull in out, then mike it. I'ts like slugging with lead, but if you don't have a lead piece that size, it's easier.... Just don't smash down on the calipers when you measure! :wink: