PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Scout Scope for the K31

uscra112
02-08-2013, 10:48 PM
The Bunk-House Gunsmith here: I love my K31s, but my eyes need a scope - I can't see irons worth a darn, and especially the small notch in the issue rear sight on the K31.

Most K31 scope mounts are complex. Some are works of art, others are outright kludges. If set on centerline they interfere with ejection. If they're offset the side they not only look weird but it keeps your cheek off the stock.

Scout mounts are the answer, but using scopes set in rings sets the optical axis way too high.

Long story short, a Bushnell Phantom mount intended for a muzzleloader was milled and drilled to fit where the issue sight ladder would be. Issue spring stays in place. (It takes a C-clamp to compress the spring so the issue pin can be driven home.) Drilled/tapped one 6-48 hole into the back of the K31 mount for a screw to tie the rear of the Phantom mount down tightly. This would be hidden if you ever put the issue ladder back in place. Feels pretty solid.

I love how low this scope sits - it allows a pretty good cheek weld.

Phantoms are common, but unloved. They sometimes go for as little as $30 on eBay. (The mount cost me almost as much as the scope.) At 2 1/2 power, this ain't going to be a winner for 1000 yard competition, but I now stand a chance of getting a decent group on a 100 yard target, maybe even 200. Thinking it up took weeks. Machining took an hour. Cash outlay $62.00 all told, including the scope.

Already have a drawing worked out for a prettier version, which will get prototyped in aluminum as soon as my dovetail cutters get here and the shop where the mill lives warms up to something tolerable. I predict a rise in the prices paid for Phantoms on eBay.

Dutchman
02-09-2013, 10:27 AM
When in doubt, innovate!

I used one NcStar 2.5x20 scope in my LER (long eye relief) experimenting. While the eye relief was very generous and comfortable I found the low power to be terribly restricting. I figured 100 yds would be maximum for using in hunting on larger game but pretty worthless for anything small and way worthless if I wanted to see a bullseye on a target. Even at 50 yds I found it difficult to zero in on a target.

Mostly I'm using only the NcStar 2-7x32 handgun scope and use 7x exclusively. I'd like to have a fixed 10x LER scope with the same eye relief as the 2-7x32 which is 8.5" to 10.5".

My LER designs are not allowed even ONE drill-and-tap. Granted by drilling and taping you open up vast possibilities that just can't work in a world of no modification type mounts. I appreciate the desire to increase the utility of vintage military rifles with the use of glass optics. I have the fuzzy eye syndrome myself and I've grown quite spoiled since I've done so many of my own rifles with LER scopes that it's become un-fun to shoot a rifle without a LER scope. I guess that means the expedition of discovery in this area was a success.

I'm currently in the pre-machining stage for 3 new mounts: 1871/84 Mauser, German Gewehr 1888 and the Finn m/39 Mosin-Nagant.

Dutch

Andrew Mason
02-09-2013, 11:41 AM
i really like that scope mount and scope for the K31.

i have been thinking of a way to scope my K31, and i think i have found the answer
thank you!

uscra112
02-09-2013, 01:40 PM
There's a way to make a similar mount for the Phantom that's no-drill, but it's two pieces and it has to displace the spring. Requires other measures to ensure that the block doesn't rattle around in the pocket of the mount on the gun. The next prototype will be made both ways.

I don't have much trouble shooting close to 1 MOA at 100 yards on a paper target using the 2.5x Phantom on my Contender. More power in a "scout mount" I wouldn't feel a need for, but then I have no 7x LER scope to try, so I may be all wet.

jagdkampf
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a similar arrangement on my K31. It is a custom mount that fits where the rear ladder site was but is no drill or tap. I put one of the Hi-Lux 2X7 intermeadiate eye relief scopes on it and love it. I have been using 175 gr Nos BTHP and RE17 and get 3/4" 5 shot groups at 125 meters.

uscra112
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
I have a similar arrangement on my K31. It is a custom mount that fits where the rear ladder site was but is no drill or tap. I put one of the Hi-Lux 2X7 intermeadiate eye relief scopes on it and love it. I have been using 175 gr Nos BTHP and RE17 and get 3/4" 5 shot groups at 125 meters.

Gotta picture ?

Andrew Mason
02-10-2013, 12:31 AM

x2, i would like to see pics of this as well

allthough, i do think a 2.5 fixed mag scope is a bit more traditional, and have a bit more class to match the k31

also, to the OP, i just found one of these on Ebay for $50, but it has the S&W mount, do you by any chance know if this can fit a K31?
or do i have to use a muzzel loader mount?

jagdkampf
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/dakardoctor/2013-02-10_12-07-16_844.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/dakardoctor/2013-02-10_12-07-03_15.jpg

The only issue I have with this setup is that it extends back far enough to interfere with using stripper clips. It does not interfere with ejection at all. I intend to get some offset rings so that I can move it forward a bit.

uscra112
02-11-2013, 12:56 AM
x2, i would like to see pics of this as well

allthough, i do think a 2.5 fixed mag scope is a bit more traditional, and have a bit more class to match the k31

also, to the OP, i just found one of these on Ebay for $50, but it has the S&W mount, do you by any chance know if this can fit a K31?
or do i have to use a muzzel loader mount?

So far that muzzeloader mount is the only one I've found that's shaped correctly to do it the way I did. Because I've bought Phantoms equipped with revolver mounts, I do have a few around, and I'm still staring at them from time to time hoping for inspiration. Problem with all of them is that the hole for the K31's cross-pin has to be drilled too close to the setscrew holes in the side of the Phantom revolver mount. I've laid it out in CAD and stared at it for hours trying to do a workaround.

uscra112
02-11-2013, 01:35 AM
@jagdkampf - - - Nice. You also have the OEM spring in there? And I assume that it's symmetrical on the other side. so it's clamped to the outside of the K31 pocket. Does the front end bear inside the pocket so the recoil force isn't all transmitted through the pin?

jagdkampf
02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
USCRA112...The spring is removed and there are two pins on the top. One forward of the roll pin that allows the mount to piviot and one at the rear. This allows macro adjustment for elevation then when you get the elevation close to POI, tighten the lateral set screws to hold the mount solid. Both sides of the mount are the same. Yes, the front end bears inside the pocket. Once tightened down it is very rigid. I wish the picatinny rail component was a bit longer in front of the mounting block but it is not my design. I found it on the Swissrifles board. A guy down in Tennessee produces a few runs every now and then.
Randy