PDA

View Full Version : Hey, 45nut! You copy?

Jim
07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
I noticed the pic of your 1917 Colt New Service on a recent thread and it made me smile. I sure enjoy shooting mine. Because of a bit of excessive headspace, I've been having problems with an occasional primer backing out and that locks up rotation. Sure would like to get some feedback from you on this. It's a grand old pistol and, except for that problem, I REALLY enjoy shooting it.

Thanks!
Jim

45nut
07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I have to use the 1/2 moons with mine Jim, the full moons wont work due to the extractor star being too big on the Colt , the 1/2 moons solve that since they wrap around the outside instead of vice versa.
My Colt does indeed have the case mouth shelf in the chambers and although in a pinch you "can" try it without the 1/2 moons it generally acts like yours.
The 1/2 moon clips keep the cartridge up against the shield and the primers stay tight with nowhere to go.
If I remember right in WW1 they issued tons of ammo in 1/2 moons and even had special pouches for carrying the spares.

Jim
07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah,
I have a ton of full moon clips and STILL get backed out primers. I'll have to see if I can find a source for the half-moons.

Thanks!

Jim
07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
I might be about ready to put this old Colt on the market. I just can't seem to get it to function properly for me.

jobo12
07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Jim,
If you decide to let this gun go, I would at least be interested in discussing it with you. I'm a little "cash poor" at the moment, so a trade would probably be a little more up my alley. However, if the price is good, I would do whatever it takes-- I've been wanting one of these old war horses forever. Please shoot me a PM if you want to discuss it.
Thanks,
Joe

Jim
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Jobo,
PM sent.