PDA

View Full Version : Problem loading softer HP alloy

iraiam
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I have been casting bullets for years, but recently started trying hollow points. I'm having trouble loading the softer alloy without ruining the bullet.

I normally load on a Dillon 550B, I was having trouble so I started doing it single stage just to figure out what I was doing wrong. The problem is when the bullet is seated into the case, the HP alloy is soft enough that it crushes down to the size of the case.

I started the testing at 25-1 lead-tin. then 22-1. now at 20-1, I still can't get a descent round. If I use a regular alloy like Lyman #2 or 50/50 Lino/Pure, they load fine, but these are BHN 15.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? At this point the only thing I can think of is to make a special powder through die that will expand the case slightly so the lead bullet doesn't fit so tight.

Notice the bullet on the right, the GC is bubbled out due to the reduction in diameter when it was inserted in the case, this is a 20-1 lead/tin alloy. The GC now measures .348".

Compared to the below picture, a 147 grain LFP with BHN 15, the brass case expands when the bullet in inserted. I have been using this setup for years without problem.

Stephen Cohen
02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Sounds like you have the answer yourself Sir, you have two choices harder boolit or open case up a little as I had too.

Beagle333
02-08-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd say try the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension bullet seating die. I like it because, as the ad says: "the floating sleeve is designed to align the bullet and case prior to seating, preventing any deformations on the base of the bullet." It has a sleeve inside the die that just fits the boolit and it is pretty snug, and it holds the boolit and the case in perfect alignment until the boolit actually is forced down out of the sleeve and into the case. Give it a look. (Oh... and yeah, flare the case a little more too)
I know it works great on my .38 and .357s. 8-)

runfiverun
02-08-2013, 08:45 PM
i'd say open the case enough to not do that.
you should easily be able to seat a 20 or 25-1 boolit.

i'd look at using a set of dies from a 38 special.

iraiam
02-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Yes, I have a set of the Hornaday Custom New Dimension dies, that's what I used on the single stage press.

I have plenty of oil hardening tool shafting, looks like I'm going to turn a custom powder through die to expand the case a little bit.