PDA

View Full Version : The history of MiHec/MP Molds

dancingbear41
02-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know the history of MP Molds?

I am fully aware that Miha Prevec is a forum member, but judging by the number of group buys currently running for moulds to be made by him, he is a busy man. So for that reason I am not directing this question to him to begin with. It could be more fun for others to answer and Miha can set us straight.

A few points I would like to know are:

Does he work alone?
Is he a shooter and caster or simply an amazing machinist entering a niche market?
How long has he been making moulds?
When did he begin commercially?

It has only been recently that I bought my first MP mould, a four cavity 41 Keith HP mould. I had read plenty on this forum about these moulds and NO-ONE has a bad word to say. There is nothing but praise and admiration for the quality of the moulds and the bullets they produce. I decided I had to have one and was lucky enough to get hold of the aforementioned mould. I was astounded by the quality, people are not wrong calling them works of art. I have over 120 moulds and none approach the quality of this mould. Dare I say it, even better that H&G, I shall probably go to hell for that, but I do have 4 H&G moulds (the only ones I have ever seen in England) and I am comparing against those.

So if anyone can supply any information, I would be grateful, and I am looking forward to getting my next MP Mould hopefully later this month.

Thank you.

Simon.

60730[

Hamish
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
:coffeecom

Not too long ago, one of the chaps demanded to see a picture of Miha to prove he existed. So far, nobodies talking, and he remains a mystery man. I suspect that at this point that it's more fun for him to stay in the shadows so as to not spoil the game.

I for one would love to see pictures of the shop and the goings on.

45 2.1
02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I for one would love to see pictures of the shop and the goings on.

Go to one of his posts and click on his web site. There are a lot of things there to see.

Doc Highwall
02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Just look at one of his moulds and you will see him. The man puts his pride into his work and it shows!

MtGun44
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
The first time I knew about it, he posted a REALLY beautiful image of a solid model of a mold. It was
realistic enough to possibly be mistaken for a photo. He was asking if anyone would be interested in
a mold like this. Interest was there, he started doing some group buys.

I THINK at that point he was contracting the NC work out to a shop. He got burned on one group buy,
that I was in on, and a batch of molds were made of an alloy different from what he had specified
and some of them warped. He did the right thing and replaced them, keeping his customers happy,
but probably costing him a LOT.

I think that was when he went out and bought an NC mill and started doing it "in house". I have been
a VERY satisfied customer and highly recommend his molds. Best quality, innovative design and
a CLOSE relationship to this site and understanding as a shooter and caster of what is needed.

Hope that helps and if Miha is reading, he might be laughing at errors if I have made them. This is
my memory of events, certainly incomplete and maybe with errors.

I hope he has made a lot of money, he sure deserves it.

Bill

Crash_Corrigan
02-08-2013, 11:59 PM
This guy is like a phart in a Hurricaine.....tough to nail down. But do we need to? I noticed him a few years ago with his first molds. I did not buy one at first but after I saw the raves and rants about how good his molds were I had to buy one. I think I have about 6 or 7 of them now. They are all excellent quality tools to make great boolits. He does not give them away but he also delivers the goods pretty darned quick and he stands behind his products. Buy his stuff with confidence. You will not be sorry you did.

colt1960
02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Simon, I just purchased my first MP mold a few weeks ago. A brass 4 cav. hp 180gr. 38cal mold. In my opinion it is a work of art. Im also on 2 more group buys. I cant tell you anything about him but know his work and it is the best Ive seen. Rick!

fcvan
02-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Miha is laying lower than Jack Bauer

Elkins45
02-09-2013, 02:06 AM
The first rule of MP Club is "nobody talks about MP Club."

Wal'
02-09-2013, 02:42 AM
I think I knew him in a previous life...........rode a white horse & a grey wolf ran by his side.......................;-)

geargnasher
02-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Go to one of his posts and click on his web site. There are a lot of things there to see.

Exactly what I was going to say. The precision required to make moulds in the manner he does and get perfect cavity alignment absolutely boggles my mind. I don't know of any other manufacturer that cuts them that way.

Gear

GARCIA
02-09-2013, 04:58 AM
IIRC, Miha was in a totally differant field (Computer tech?)and was producing molds as a sideline buisness. Demand became overwhelming for his molds plus other issues at his normal job. Made the jump into fulltime mold making and doing consultant work for his company. Least that is how it's playing out in my mine. No matter how it came out we have all benefitted from it!!!! My most favorite mold is my "Ruger Only" mold with pins. Then again I love all his molds!

Tom

dancingbear41
02-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Many thanks for the comments.

Now that I have one of his moulds I cannot wait for the next to arrive. I had seen numerous posts regarding his mould and thought to myself I had to get one. I am very pleased with it. It is also very unlikely that I will buy any new moulds from any other mainstream manufacturer. I have the bug for custom moulds!

I guess I have an inqisitive nature. I am also very glad that he decided to turn a sideline into a business, I am sure we all are.

Thanks again, and if Miha does read this thread, a big thank you to you and keep up the excellent work.

Simon.

PS. Just glad I didn't get burned for the H&G comment!

Lloyd Smale
02-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I love a real quality mold. Ive allways been a big fan of ballistic cast molds and the previous company H&G. I also remember back when my friend Rob Applegate made molds. the first one i got blew me away. It was so pretty that a guy almost wanted to make jewelery out of it for his wife. that was my same impression with mihas molds. there a work of art! Almost to pretty to cast with. ALMOST! We are lucky to have guys like him and a couple others here who make molds of such high quality.

BattleRife
02-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know the history of MP Molds?
... if anyone can supply any information, I would be grateful, and I am looking forward to getting my next MP Mould hopefully later this month.

Thank you.

Simon.

It wasn't very long ago I had similar wonderings, so I clicked on Miha's profile, selected "see all posts by user", and went to look at them in chronological order. The archives don't quite go back far enough to catch all of his history, but as of about 6 months ago I could still find the post where he asked if anybody had ever used a Cramer style mould, and what they thought of them. And I think the first group buy for a single cavity .45 Auto bullet was still there, too.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2013, 11:49 AM
All you have to do is make a trip to Slovenia and look him up! As far as I am concerned his work and his willingness to correct any wrongs speak all I need to know. I'd be proud to have him as a neighbor. Not likely to happen!

abqcaster
02-13-2013, 01:14 AM
When Miha does pushups he's actually pushing the Earth down... ;)

Oreo
02-13-2013, 05:05 AM
When it rains Miha doesn't get wet. The water gets Miha.

MiHec
02-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Very short story.....

I'm a shooter (1911A1, tanfoglio limited custom 9mm , M4 Carbine).
I build my first mold (some kind of HG#68 clone) back in 1998. It was one cav. aluminum mold made on EDM machine.(I will find it and post some pictures).

Then I was looking for a HP mold..... looking and looking.......
Since I'm a machinist I decided to build one (when you set up cnc and tools is no problem to build more than one), so I posted here on the forum if someone will join inn.

Rest is history they say....

At the moment I'm one man band with help of my father (retired machinist also) and some help for packaging.....
Of course I have outsorce for pins and laser cutting and cherries.

cbrick
02-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Only one thing you need to know about MP molds . . . No, it's not possible to have enough of them.

Rick

captaint
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I almost have enough MP molds. Almost. Then there's that 358156HP. I have to avoid going
to the group buy section. Like many of you, every time I go there, I see something that I just
have to try out. Man, I just know that one will make the perfect boolits I need.
I'm very glad we have Miha to help feed our quest.

mktacop
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I almost have enough MP molds. Almost. Then there's that 358156HP. I have to avoid going
to the group buy section. Like many of you, every time I go there, I see something that I just
have to try out. Man, I just know that one will make the perfect boolits I need.
I'm very glad we have Miha to help feed our quest.

Can we ever REALLY have enough MP molds?? :?: I have 6 currently, soon to be 7, and they are all fantastic molds. I was casting coming of the 160gr 357 HPs last night from one of his molds and the bullets almost jumped out of the mold and off the pins. The molds he makes are a pleasure to work with.

MiHec
02-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Pictures of first Mp-molds

Build from scrap aluminum on EDM machine.

MiHec
02-13-2013, 04:10 PM
My latest project......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI&feature=youtu.be

abqcaster
02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
that mold has seen some good use!

Pictures of first Mp-molds

Build from scrap aluminum on EDM machine.

mktacop
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
My latest project......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI&feature=youtu.be

Very nice! You should post this over in the Star Equipment corner as well.

cbrick
02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm very impressed. Is that something you plan to market? Any idea what the ost may be?

Rick

MiHec
02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm very impressed. Is that something you plan to market? Any idea what the ost may be?

Rick

Not really...... The cost so far (without collator) is around 600€ (800$). Not counting my work and not counting Starsizer with automatic feeder.
Collator will cost me nothing (all scrap material).

dancingbear41
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Thank you Miha.

I agree you cannot have too many molds and certainly not too many MP Moulds. I currently have only one but I am working to rectify that. I marvel at the ability of some people to be able to produce such amazing machines and tools. I am certainly glad that you are making such fantastic moulds and I hope to be a customer for many years to come.

Thanks again.

Simon.