PDA

View Full Version : Lee powder measure......accuracy? (J-word loads, sorry!)

3006guns
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
My step son just stopped by on his way to work this morning with some concerns about the .308 ammo he loaded for a coyote hunt this week. I got him a brand new Lee powder measure for Christmas and told him how to set it up using his Pacific scale, yet he noticed that if you shake the completed round you can hear the powder in some and not in the others. I pointed out that he had reloaded several different brands of cases and it could be as simple as thick and thin brass, but I volunteered to pull a few down and reweigh the powder. Good thing I did........

The first twenty weighed at exactly 36.1 grains....a modest load and dead nuts on. Only problem is that they were supposed to be 38.5 according to his label. That might be intentional though (each charge weighed) but I won't know until I talk to him.

The next ten marked "39.5" weigh in from 38.7 to 39.4! This stopped me cold and I rezeroed my RCBS 505 and reweighed them again...yep, a .7 spread in the same loaded batch. Since some of his other loads are pushing 40.5 grns. (listed as max for 180 grain bullet) I need to get him to bring that powder measure over for a look see. Is there a problem with bridging or static in the Lee measures? Would an application of a dryer sheet help?

Love Life
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
It is a plastic powder measure. Not sure what can be expected from it. I have the perfect powder measure and it throws inconsistantly in the spectrum your step son's did. So I drop low and trickle up weighing each charge. Also what powder was he using? I get better consistancy from BLC-2 than I do from Benchmark or IMR 4895.

RobsTV
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Which Lee powder measure, Perfect Powder, Auto-Disc Powder, or Auto-Disc Powder Pro?

If not the Lee Perfect Powder, which discs were used?
Also, what powder is used?
How full was powder feed container?

If the Perfect Powder, are you keeping it more than 1/2 full and giving it a slight tap (flick of the middle finger nail with thumb here) at each end of lever pull? Are you using universal rifle die in press or funnel directly into brass on a loading tray in separate step?

3006guns
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Which Lee powder measure, Perfect Powder, Auto-Disc Powder, or Auto-Disc Powder Pro?
If not the Lee Perfect Powder, which discs were used?
Also, what powder is used?
How full was powder feed container?

Whoops.......I left a BUNCH of info out. Sorry. It's a Lee perfect powder measure, the powder is IMR 3031, not sure on the amount in the hopper but that's a very good question as I only had a few minutes with him this morning. He's due here for lunch soon and I'll find out.

RobsTV
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I added more to above post while you were replying.

3031 consistantly loads here within a .1 (measured with mechanical scale) in 303 brit using LPP and funnel directly into brass (through a drop tube that's attached to LPP) in loading tray with a couple taps during each stroke (Black Powder loading habits, and both probably not be needed with smokeless).

DLCTEX
02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I get very consistent loads with my PPM. I do have a technique of tapping the side of the measure with my hand twice before dropping the charge. Be consistent in whatever you do. I wipe the measure with a dryer sheet before beginning a session to remove static.

3006guns
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I just checked using my RCBS measure and even with the usual slight "cutting" of a grain once in awhile, it is accurate to within .1 of a grain consistently. It may be just his set up or use (I'll go over it with him), but I think I may need to get the boy a better measure. Pity, as the reviews on the Lee were pretty good.

DLCTEX, good tips......I'll show him this thread when he gets here and we'll try again. Might just be a technique problem. Thanks guys!

zuke
02-09-2013, 02:00 PM
It take's a certain method to use the LEE consistantly, but when you figure it out it's super simple.
The big one is not to jerk the lever up then slam it down.

Frozone
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
With the LEE perfect, technique is a lot.

Start with the lever down. That way you don't get uneven packing of the powder in the drop chamber.
This is the most common cause of variation in ALL volume type measures.

Raise the lever smoothly, count 1, 2 lower lever and drop the charge.
There is now a small amount of powder left on edge of the chamber, tap the body with your finger to knock that loose.

BTW a .45 ACP finish reamer takes the ridge off nicely

bruce drake
02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I also discovered that the more I used my LPP, the graphite from the powder lubricated the movements more and more. It was quite stiff when I first unpacked it which caused me to have serious variations in my thown weights. So bad I took it down and set it on the shelf for a couple of years. I came back to it a few years later and its been very consistent for me ever since I started using it on a regular basis, especially with stick powders. I don't like to use ball powders with it as at this point it spits H335 and BLC-2 everywhere ehenever I pull the handle. But again for stick powders, I like using it a lot.

Bruce