PDA

View Full Version : i need help finding a part for help in loading

milsurpaddict
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I am not sure if this is the best fourm but I am converting 223 brass into Tokarev brass and I need to find a N gauge drill bit to ream the neck of the ew reformed brass. I do not know who would carry such a drill bit.

Help :)

Milsurpaddict

quack1
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Any good hardware store should have them. Brownells would be a mail order choice.

MuzzleFlush
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Www.mcmaster.com has everything you never knew you needed!

GRUMPA
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm toying with converting 223 brass into that now, the one thing I will never use is a drill but rather a reamer. I've done the drill stuff before and it will tear the brass rather than remove it smoothly. When I've done stuff like this in the past I just order the right sized reamer from MSC and shorten the reamer (with bench grinder) and ream when the case is in the die (with de-capping rod removed) so the brass wont expand outwards thus giving me an almost exact size all the time.

EDIT: I've modified my fair share of cases, when I ream I have my single stage press mounted on the table part of my drill press, line up the die to the reamer and do it that way. This I do by indicating the die in with the reamer which takes special tools but I'm real fussy when folks pay for what I make. Your mileage may vary........

KCSO
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
+1 on the above you can't use a drill you have to have a reamer and it's best if the neck is still in the die when you do this. I got a little expirience on this when i made the first Auto Mag ammo from 308's. Boy a hand cranked reamer gets rough after 250 rounds!

44Vaquero
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Grumpa, has it right! You can get reamers from Production Tool Supply (PTS).

john hayslip
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Enco or any machinist tool catalog will have them(drill or reamer, and like Grumpa, I recommend the reamer). I have the proper trim die and extended shell holder and used to make 30 Mauser (same cartridge but not loaded as hot) and I don't remember having to ream. If you have a case length trimmer most of the companies that make them have reamers you can use in them. If it won't chamber the round reaming is required. My mauser may have had a large chamber.