PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Museum Wax............

Steve E
07-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I was in the Big Depot Box today and noticed some stuff called Museum Wax, it seems like it would be a good boolit lube or be added to a mixture in a lube formula. Has anybody used this? Wonder if it could be used in place of Bees Wax? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL.

Steve E............

leftiye
07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Considering that neither you or I know what it is chemically, I'd only use it (I'm tempted to say when pigs fly) if I wanted a real cheap and maybe low performance lube- assuming that it is cheap, that is. It may be a perspective thing, I always try to come up with high performance lubes, and just today spent probably $10 per pound for Carnauba, and castor waxes to experiment with as surface (coating) lubes.

felix
07-23-2007, 10:51 PM
That is going to be a fun project. If I had the energy, I'd play the game with you, but it is my turn to watch someone else do the efforts this time around. Keep the fluid thin to start off with, using hot temps, and helping matters by pre-heating the boolits to about 200F before dipping. Do some boolits by dunking once with tweasers on the nose; do some by tumbling/volume dumping quickly to test that method of application for speed purposes. For a second test, try the same with lower temps all around to obtain a thicker coat. Whatever mixture you come up with, make sure you dunk a steel plate (boolit temp) into it, and then see what it takes to get the stuff off with NORMAL barrel cleaning supplies after room temp. Must try and emulate the barrel internals before shooting, by playing various games. If the "lube" adhears too strongly to the steel plate (at various temps like a barrel will be), we need to make some mods to the lube before shooting for real. Be cautious; we don't want a glued up barrel at anytime. ... felix

leftiye
07-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanx Felix, Some of that I had planned on. Especially good advise on the waxes' adherence to the barrel being tested! I had thought of just using the castor wax straight at first. How much chance is there that these will actually adhere maniacally to steel? Also, what sovlents not usual in gun cleaners might remove waxes like these? A couple of weeks ago, I didn't like surface lubes, but at ignition, I now think the forcing cones, throats, and leades will definitely benefit from a little lubrication.