PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an IN with the CMP?

7br
02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Just sent off my paperwork for a CMP M1 Garand. Last month, they still had Springfield Armory rack and service grade available. They are out of stock as of 2/8/13. I wanted an H&R anyway, so it did not affect me.

Anyone have a feeling for how many might be left? I am not sure, but now might be the time to get one if you want one.

On a related note, any recommendations on a sling? I might try some position shooting with it.

Rich/WIS
02-09-2013, 01:09 AM
There was a thread on this in the CMP Forum. This is not new, not all gone but more need to be inspected. graded and test fired. The stock on hand will meet anticipated orders and store sales. Once more are unpacked and ready for sale they will start taking orders again. Not a competition shooter but have seen a number of positive posts on the CMP Forum for Turner slings. I got a repro leather sling from a member there, Jim Thompson, that is excellent; well made, quality leather and reasonable prices.

skimmerhead
02-10-2013, 05:14 PM
i am in the process of getting another M1 garand, as i understand there is a long wait before shipping, two to three month's. it takes awhile for them to process the rifle's. if the particular model you ordered went sold out after you placed your order, chances are your rifle is being processed. if you have any questions contact CMP and i'm sure they will be happy to help you, one other thing to think about is the politiacal gun control everyone is having to operate under at present time. they are going through the same problem's as any other weapons dealers, high demand, shortages,ect. i hope this helps.
skimmerhead

cloakndagger
02-10-2013, 07:44 PM
....Man, I wish I was closer to their southern distribution center.....
Cmp: you mean youd volounteer to check out rifles and do refurb work??
Me: definately, point me at em.
I love Garands, even the ones that have bitten me.

kweidner
02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Had a friend swing by the south store about a week ago. Plenty still on the racks.

NuJudge
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Regarding what sling to get, I would recommend the US GI web sling, and if possible one made of nylon, not cotton web. The GI sling is infinitely adjustable. There are instructions for setting it up on the website of Ray-Vin, a former spotting scope stand manufacturer. The nylon last forever, unlike cotton, and I believe they stretch less.

CMP regularly gets asked how many they have, and the answer is always years worth.

Make sure you use ammo with the proper pressure at the gas port. If you run most modern commercial ammo with a pressure curve that's too high, cycling is too vigorous and bad things happen. The CMP Greek is in spec., as is the Hornady Garand Match ammo.

If you want one for competition, they have had several "special" classes of rifles, with new commercial new stocks and either nearly new GI or new commercial barrels. I switched from using a rifle that was fresh from a 1965 rebuild to one of the special rifles, Having a near new H&R receiver and barrel, and my score went from the bottom of Gold class to about the middle. The new stock, after a good barrel, makes quite a difference. The 1965 rebuild was not loose in its stock, but nowhere near as tight as the special. I have seen specials with black walnut stocks, and with orange birch stocks like the one I got.