PDA

View Full Version : Lost a good friend today

Ivantherussian03
07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I have been told that dogs dont have feelings. But anyone that lived with a dog might argue with that.

I lost my dog today. He was a norwegian elkhound mix. We have been together 15 years. We traveled on long road trips across the Lower 48 several times. He helped me pound out two college degrees with his quiet support. He had more frequent flyer miles than most people. he even made the trip from Nenana, Alaska by river 1000 miles down the Yukon to our home in Pilot Station; we made that trip together, just him and I by boat.

Dogs are interesting creatures, as anyone who spent time with them knows. My own dog relationship began in a truck ride. I was in college at the time, studying Russian history, and pondering life. Driving down the road and telling the dog about the history of Russia. The dog just looked at me suspiciously, sitting on the far side of the truck. When I told him about Ivan the Great and how he drove the Mongols out of Russia in 12th century, a hero. Every time I said Ivan he looked at me quizally, cocking his to the side, as if to say "what". And so Ivan chose his name; he chose his name among the many names of Russian Czars.

The name Ivan just fit him. He loved fresh snow; he rolled in it, and scoffed at it. Snapping his teeth together at the snow. He never seemed to get cold, even in 50 below.

He was good dog, and faithful companion. He loved his getting treats in the evening, and rolling in fresh snow. When I got married he became my wife's dog. he slept on her side of bed, and didnt get up in the morning until she did. I loved that dog. he passed away in my arms this morning.

I tell myself he had a great life, and it is for the best. God bles you Ivan and keep you safe.

ron brooks
07-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I feel for you. I weep with you.

gregg
07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Soory to hear of your lost . I sure understrand.

MT Gianni
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. You can love a replacement but you never forget a great dog. Gianni

singleshotbuff
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
sorry for your loss. Only dog owners (those owned by dogs) can truly understand.

SSB

07-23-2007, 10:20 PM
The sands of time don't wait for any of us. Dog or man. But what great memories! Sorry for your loss.

Phil
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Ivan it saddened me to hear of your loss. I have had some fine dogs in my life and have a great young Beagle now. A dog is a fine companion and I think they understand far more than we know. I hope that all my dog pals are waiting for me in heaven, then it will truly be heaven.

With deepest sympathy,

Phil

madcaster
07-23-2007, 10:58 PM
A good dog is a great friend,when things aren't going good even with one's own family,the dog is glad to see you.I am sorry for your loss my friend.

Whitespider
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
I’ve buried three canine friends myself. Hard, so hard. :cry:

All my dogs have lived in the house with us, no matter their size or temperament. We are dog people, and only dog people understand how much of yourself you’ve lost. Those that have never loved a dog (or been loved by a dog) will never understand.

Life is not complete without a canine friend around. Start a new friendship soon, even though the loss is inevitable, the time together is indescribable.

fiberoptik
07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Sorry bout the loss of a loved pet. Been there, done that, it don't get any easier no matter how many you loose. I never cried when they scraped pounds of gravel out of my hide, but I sure did when I had to put down my pet rat. Wifie worries bout what'll happen when my 12 lb cat goes...

NVcurmudgeon
07-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Ivan, our heartfelt condolences to you. We lost our beloved Bo at the same age four months ago. Your Ivan will always have a special place in your memories. When you are ready, make a home for another dog who will need you, and you will need a dog. Bill and Fran

pumpguy
07-24-2007, 01:30 AM
I lost my companion of 11years about 3 years ago. We did a ton together and she was our baby until our first was born. I finally got a new dog about a year ago. It was finally time. New dogs can not replace old ones, but, they do fill a place in your heart. Don't let anyone tell you when to get one. You will know when it is time. My condolences to you and your wife.

PatMarlin
07-24-2007, 01:39 AM
There's lives are to short. It's not fair. I can't imagine loosing my pup, but this is life and god's will.

Ivantherussian03
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks Guys---I am feeling better.

Bigjohn
07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Ivan;
I know that just about everyone here shares your sorrow and I fell that now is time to post the following verse again:

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your hearts to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy,
Love unflinching that cannot lie-
Perfect passion and worship fed,
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair,
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits,
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find – it’s your own affair
But – you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our lives are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent,
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long –
So why in heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

When the body that lived at your single will,
When the whimper of welcome is stilled (How still)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone – wherever it goes – for good,
You soon discover how much you care,
And give your heart to a new dog to tear.

Rudyard Kipling

John.

Boz330
07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Rudyard sure got that one right!

Bob