PDA

View Full Version : 30 Carbine Bullets

ddeaton
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I bought a bag of Frontier 110 gr plated bullets to load until I get some cast up and sized. It has been 20 years since I loaded any carbine rounds last. Looks like I will need to seat these a little deeper than normal to get them to chamber. I seated to 1.68 and the bullet still hits the rifling. Bolt wont close all the way. I am afraid now to seat deeper and worried about the pressure. I dont like these things. Anyone have any experience with these?

saintdel
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
I've used them in the past without problem. Don't recall the load at the moment, haven't had a carbine in a long time, but it was stout enough to cycle the action reliably. Unless you're already on the edge of safety or prudence, seating a few thousandths deeper shouldn't create a suddenly extreme pressure issue. Just watch your primers etc for pressure signs or simply reduce your charge a bit and work back up. This assumes you're starting with a published safe load to begin with.

ddeaton
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Yea, starting middle of the published load. I will seat a little deeper and shoot a few and see what they look like. I think I will back the charge down a couple tenths even if these look ok.