PDA

View Full Version : M37 but stock?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
a decade ago i bought a M37 Ithaca It wasn't in the greatest shape but it wasn't bad and the price was decent.

the metal lacked much in the way of bluing but it was plenty functional the hole gun is a dull grey that is fine with me

it is the M37 with the duck hunting scene on the left and the pheasant and bird dog on the right the barrel was originally a full choke but it was fitted long ago with a polychoke

and it was just like grandpas , well actually it turned out to be a few years older than grandpas
you know every one wants one like grandpa has

this one is a 1947 the first year of production after Ithaca stopped regular manufacturing in 1943 for war manufacturing

the problem is the wood around the receiver on the but stock has bits of it chipped off

because of the M37 design it really didn't contribute t the strength of the but stock , but every few years i think about doing something , it generally results in me looking seeing a bunch of plastic replacements that just wouldn't look right on this old gun is the only available option and deciding to put it back in the rack

since you all seem to know well most things their are to know

is there a epoxy type product that i could build up the edge with and sand it down to fit and look decent ?

Wayne Smith
02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
There are lots of options. I would PM Gunfreak25 and talk to him. Go down to Gunsmithing and look at his recent post of some of his work. He is an artist in stock repair.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
thank you I will see what he thinks , adding a picture so that you can see what i am talking about60695

Gunfreak25
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Apologies for not returning your inquiry sooner. You have some shrinkage action going on there with your shotgun, but as you can see that is only part of the problem. If this were my shotgun, I would splice on new sections of wood all the way around the leading edge where it mates with the receiver. But I tend to be a perfectionist, I would not condone the use of a dyed resin mix to fill in the chips. The finished product would be less than appealing to the eye, if you think you are decent with a wood file and can do basic wood shaping I would be happy to splice some new sections of walnut on the stock for you. Then, you could do the dress up work yourself. What say you, sir?

Smitty's Retired
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Gunfreak25..... might you be the one by the same name who also floats around the SurplusRifle forums?? I havn't been there as often as I used to but still lurk in the background some. I went by the same username but without the "Retired".

Gunfreak25
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Yes sir, that be me! :)

Smitty's Retired
02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
GreenCountyPete, I can vouch for Gunfreak25. He and Candyman have posted many articles on stock repair for C&R's as well as other firearms on SurplusRifleForums. It's amazing at some of the repairs he has done. I've seen photo's of rifle stocks that were split in two, as well as stocks missing wood that have been repaired and you had to look real close to see the repair. He will treat you right.

Smitty