PDA

View Full Version : P 38

KCSO
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
I will admit when I bought my first P38 in 1974 I was cautioned that it was 8 loud nooises and a modestly accurate throw. That first P38 was a wartime issue gun in well used condition and I don't think I ever got a better group with it than 4" at 25 yards. At that time I was shooting PPC and my K38 would shoot into 2 1/2" at 50 yards from sandbagged rest so I didn't keep the P38 long.

Now a couple years ago when they started re importing the P38/P1 I picked one up just so I could say I had one. The gun was in like new condition with the holster and two spare mags and the feed ramp had not one mark on it, I would guess the gun was unfired. It was marked P38 on the aluminum frame and was dated 2-69. I also ordered a box of spare parts for the shop and so i was able to work up a good white dot front sight.

Since this would be a plinking and small game gun at best I looked to see what moulds I could use and ended up with an old Ideal mould that cast a 138 grain bullet (358212 ?) The other bullet was a truncated cone Lee 124 grain mould. Bullets were cast from 1 /2 and 1/2 wheel weight and lino and sized 356 to fit the chamber of the gun. I was more than a little surprised that my first groups from this gun were all around 2" at 25 yards and the heavier bullet would actualll go under 2" when i did my part. I shoot a mild load of just 3 grinas of Bullseye under the rn bullet and 4 under the 124. I did have some usefull advice from a friend on loading 38 super and 9MM that is what I attribute the accuracy from. he told me to load both ctgs as if I were loading got a gun with excessive headspace. He said you want the bullet to sever as the headspace on the ctg and not to rely on case length. He pointed out that for some reason 9mm's are never as long as they are suppose to be and even the same brand of ('s will vary in case length. This necessitates having the ammo marked for the specific gun but really helped with the accuracy. Now that light weight P38 is one of my favorite plinking pistols. I can't help but wonder what the old P38 would have done all those years ago I I had known then...

Combat Diver
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
KCSO,

Thanks for the tip. I used to have a P1 and a P4 verisons of the P38. Always enjoyed them.

CD

rintinglen
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Amazing what good ammo will do for a gun, My own take on the Walthers is that the p-1s are generally better than the wartime p-38s. I am currently without one, but I may pick up one up one of these days.

dubber123
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
The biggest gain I found with my P-1 occurred the day I slugged it and found it had a .358"+ bore. Luckily the chamber was fat enough to allow the use of the properly sized boolit. If you are getting sub 2" groups with .356" boolits, I'm guessing yours isn't nearly that loose.

KCSO
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
.355 on the nose so with the hard bullets I get no leading and good accuracy. I think the variation in the P1's may be due to the lined barrels.

Trey45
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I had wanted a Walther P38 my whole life, even from a young age I can remember wanting one. My dad spoke fondly of them and may have even owned one, I don't recall all he owned when I was a child. Regardless, it was a pistol I had built up to almost mythical proportions in my mind until I finally bought one 6 years ago. I wasn't impressed with it at all. It was solidly reliable, but accuracy was iffy and trigger pulls were average. Nothing mythical about it.
I have sold that gun once and traded it away 3 times and it always comes back to me. I have decided to keep it this time around even though I have a standing offer to buy it should I decide to part with it again. I have nicknamed the P38 "Boomerang" because it always comes back, not because of how it shoots.

Now that I have the fruits of your labor to use as reference material I will actually try to load for accuracy with it. Thanks for posting your work! I hope I get similar results.

gwpercle
02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
A tip for those with older " wartime " P-38's is to try bullets sized to .357. I have a 1944 one made at the Spreewerke factory ( rather rough ) that does well with the Lyman #358345 boolit sized .357. its a 115 gr. SWC that Lyman listed in its book as suitable for 9mm. Tolerances were generous in those days and possibly if your newer one isn't acting right a .357 size boolit might help accuracy. With that boolit I remember groups going 2 to 2 1/2 inches at 25 yards...and I'm not a good shot. I allways wanted a Browning Highpower, but the P-38 was a gift from my father, so I'm not going to look a 9mm in the mouth..especially with those nazi markings on it.
gary

KCSO
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
10-4 on the 357 bullets I have had numerous 9MM's that were from 356 to 357 in the bore. Since the first thing I do when I get a gun is slug the bore I didn't think to mention this.