PDA

View Full Version : Using Zinc to increase surface tension in Lead Alloys for Shotmaking

mtgrs737
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I know that Shot manufacturers use As Arsenic to increase the surface tension of the lead alloy so that the pellets will round out in the 150 drop during manufacturing of shot. I can't seem to find Arsenic to add to my alloy to drive up the content to .2% (ww alloy is currently listed as .02% As) so I was thinking that maybe zinc might do the same job in small amounts.

Anyone out there with experiance using zinc/lead alloy in shotmaking?

runfiverun
02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
sulpher is a good replacement for arsnic as a grain refiner.
i do not know if it adds surface tension though..

this might sound a bit silly, but shot contains more arsenic than necessary for surface tension.
a 1 to 3 investment might give acceptable returns in this case.
if you have some,invest 5 lbs and find out.

mtgrs737
02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
sulpher is a good replacement for arsnic as a grain refiner.
i do not know if it adds surface tension though..

this might sound a bit silly, but shot contains more arsenic than necessary for surface tension.
a 1 to 3 investment might give acceptable returns in this case.
if you have some,invest 5 lbs and find out.

I plan to do just that, I bought some reclaimed shot at the last shoot and have melted it down into ingots to make shot from. I will see if a higher As content has any affect on my short drop shotmaking. So far the closest I have come to perfectly round shot is .003" to .004" TIR. Which is really close enough for my uses, but I am always trying to improve the process.