PDA

View Full Version : Wonderous Guide Quality Reloading!!!

Bret4207
07-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I won a box of tools at a farm auction. Wonder of wonders, deep within the box was a Herters "Model Perfect" powder Scale!!! No doubt I'll be loading Professional, Guide Quality ammo now.

Nueces
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I still have dozens of Mother Herter's Model Perfect Hudson's Bay 10-X slip-top cartridge boxes, remember paying 11 or 12 cents apiece back around 1970 or so. Who else had 22 LR slip-tops? Sorta miss the old catalog. Amidst all the bombast, there were some good deals hidden away.

Mark

NVWalt
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Good ol Herters. When I was younger and there still was a Herters, there was a store in Olympia, Washington. Bought many , many ,many pounds of powder from the open kegs they had there and weighed them on a hanging scale and put into paper bags. Remember their Wasp Sonic bullets?. Such found memories of a golden time lost...Walt

axman
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I've seen the wasp waisted bullets and I think I have a couple of boxes of .303 banana peel bullets around somewere.

beemer
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I started loading with a Herters equipment and still have it but don't use it much anymore.There is even one of those shotgun dies in my cabinet that has never been used. If I find any Herters tools cheep I will pick it up, just for old times sake.
It would be nice to fond a catalog from the late sixties before the 68 gca took affect.It was a golden time before life really hit you.

beemer

Bret4207
07-28-2007, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=.
It would be nice to fond a catalog from the late sixties before the 68 gca took affect.It was a golden time before life really hit you.

beemer[/QUOTE]

Reproduction Herters catalogs are on Ebay all the time. The originals are there too but a bit more expensive.

fiberoptik
08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I came across 2 boxes of Herters cleaning patches at a garage sale a while back. It was the first Herters thing I'd ever seen.[smilie=1:

pumpguy
08-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Herters predates me a little bit. I did buy a set of 30-06 Herters dies a couple of years ago, though. Thought the box was cool.

OldBob
08-12-2007, 07:59 AM
I won a box of tools at a farm auction. Wonder of wonders, deep within the box was a Herters "Model Perfect" powder Scale!!! No doubt I'll be loading Professional, Guide Quality ammo now.

Too funny ! I have one of those scales, used it for years, their catalog was fun reading, second only to Turner Kirkland's Dixie catalog.

Dale53
08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
My wife of nearly fifty years was at a garage sale some years ago. There was a near perfect Herter's catalog there. She purchased it for me and that should tell you what kind of wife I have (wonderful lady).

HERTER'S slogan: "Better than need be"!!:-D :-D :-D

Dale53

schutzen
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
You guys are making me think I am "getting old". I grew up about 60 miles from Waseca MN the home of Herter's. My brother and I made many trips to Herter's and were always fascinated. And we always came home broke, but with the neatest hunting and trapping gear around. Life is kind of funny, now nearing the end of our careers, we both live about 60 miles from Dixie Gun Works. At least we don't come home from there broke, just in the dog houses with the wives because we spent so much. It is truely as small world.

454PB
08-13-2007, 12:11 AM
My hunting buddy had a Herters oil dampened powder scale some 35 years ago. We got so frustrated waiting for it to settle that we each bought an RCBS scale. I'm still using mine. I also have the 1976 Herters catalog. I didn't know they were collectible. I also have several hundred Herter bullet jackets still sealed in the boxes.

Bad Water Bill
08-15-2007, 01:31 AM
[url] [smilie=1:
:-D[smilie=1: Just got a NEW Team Herters ball cap from a friend of mine. He was one of the people Herters gave things to to play with before you saw them in their bible. I also have a 1974 HERTERS wish book that I ordered everything from archery, gun, reloading, decoys to the worlds finest fiberglass kit to recover a 194? kayak. I still have 2 of the worlds strongest reloading presses,many 20 and 50 shell boxes not to mention just a few bullets. They had many excelent private labeled products. If you read their book and had some knowledge of the hobby you could identify which mfgr made their mdse. How many powder mfgrs in scandinavia, Quality revolver and rifle makers in Germany, and take a look at their bullet moulds? If you havent guessed by now I also did my part to keep the brothers traveling around the world in style. Iam still wondering WHEN Cabellas ( who bought up the co) is going to offer the Herters 60 cartridge loading blocks again. ENOUGH remembering when. :( :( :( BWB :castmine:

Dale53
08-15-2007, 02:48 AM
My favorite product from Herters was their "Long grain wild rice pancake mix". Just on a whim, I ordered out a box with my sporting goods order. It was so dern good that I ordered a case from them. No foolin' it was a real treat!

Their "Bull Cook" cookbook was great too. I still pull it down and read it from time to time. It has some really helpful information on cooking a variety of wild game. When I had to clean my first Snapper Turtle, I looked in there for help - and FOUND it:-D

Remember, "Better than need be!" Don't forget, Jacque L. Herter was a "modest" feller...quiet and unassuming:-D :-D :-D
Dale53

PineTreeGreen
08-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Back in about'64,a friend bought a swaging die (set?) from the aforementioned Brothers Herter. He also bought lead wire,a cutter and a huge press. The boolits that came out of the die had lube grooves. However,we never did find a lube that would keep the boolits from leaving serious lead in a barrel,even in a .38 Special w/3gr. Red dot.:(
When I started casting in the mid 80's,I thought I would be in for more 3-4 hour cleaning jobs. But had read some "Fouling Shot"magazines and everyone shot hard(lino). Into the 90's and couldn't find hard stuff so ended up using softer and softer alloy. And no leading. Now I use 100 lbs. WW and 1 lb. 95/5 solder.:-D