PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those casting days..

dakotashooter2
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
...where you just throw your hands in the air and say I give up? I was trying to cast some .38 SWC HPs last night and was getting about 75% rejects. Keep in mind I had cast these 2 days before with about 3% rejects. Same mold, same alloy, same methods, same speed, same heat. Even when I tried to change something I couldn't get them to come out. They either had pinholed in the base, poor fillout in the nose or a "flat" spot on one side (like a cold spot in the mold). If I resolved one problem one of the others would pop up. I finally just gave up for the day................:twisted::twisted::twisted:

rintinglen
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah I did. I feel your pain. In my case, I think that I got zinced. I added what I thought was the same alloy, but must have included a contaminated wheel weight ingot. Suddenly, from blue skies and easy streets, I'm wandering under dark cloudy skies where even the stray dogs bark at me. Eventually, I drained off half the pot, added tin and reclaimed bullet metal ingots and was able to use up the offending metal. No more ebay wheel weights for me!
Good luck.

rexherring
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Happens to me now when it's colder in the garage. I can keep 3 molds going in the summer but only one this winter. Chilly out there. a little more heat and tin helps.

Mk42gunner
02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
...where you just throw your hands in the air and say I give up? I was trying to cast some .38 SWC HPs last night and was getting about 75% rejects. Keep in mind I had cast these 2 days before with about 3% rejects. Same mold, same alloy, same methods, same speed, same heat. Even when I tried to change something I couldn't get them to come out. They either had pinholed in the base, poor fillout in the nose or a "flat" spot on one side (like a cold spot in the mold). If I resolved one problem one of the others would pop up. I finally just gave up for the day................:twisted::twisted::twisted:

I think everybody that casts very much has had at least one of those days.

One more reason to cast plenty of booolits when things are going well, that way you don't have to keep trying to change what doesn't really need changed.

Robert

1Shirt
02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Always kind of figure women have bad hair days, and we have occaisional bad casting days. It's Kismit!
1Shirt!

captaint
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I guess that's why, when things are going really well, we can't seem to want to stop !!!
Sometimes, when all goes well, I end up casting up way too many boolits. But what the heck, they don't go bad ........ Mike