PDA

View Full Version : Searching for 2 recipes my Grandma had in PA

2HighSpeed
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Growing up my grandmother used to make this amazing snack she put on French Bread, I cant find the recipe anywhere and she passed away in 2003. Im looking for:

Hamburger Heros & Chicken Cacciatore.

DeanoBeanCounter
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Don't know if this helps, there this very good sight. http://www.tasteofhome.com/ It's recipes is from nothing but home cooks.
Dean

gwpercle
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Can you describe these dishes , what do you remember as ingredients , seasonings etc. There are a lot of dishes known by different names depending on where you are at. To me chicken cacciatore is Italian red sauce with chicken instead of meatballs or meat sauce...I got a recipes for this. Here in Louisiana any sandwhich on french bread is called a Po-boy. Ask for a Hero , a hogie or a grinder and people just look at you funny. Describe how the hamburger was a pattie or loose browned meat, any sauce ?
gary

gbrown
02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I would go to food network.com and look at their recipes. A number of them. One of our "throw down meals" is to get the breaded chicken breasts patties and put in a spaghetti sauce. Heat it good, serve over pasta, with a side of green veggies, salad and Texas Toast garlic bread. About 30 minutes and you have a meal. Not the true Italian version, but a good quick meal.

dragon813gt
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Chicken Cacciatore.

The recipes for it are vast and abundandt. And every family makes it differently. It's like asking for a sauce recipe. I know there are a lot of good ones posted up on the food sites. I didn't think it was a regional dish. I thought it was common.

2HighSpeed
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Chicken cacciatore. It's almost like a spaghetti sauce but it has green and red peppers and onion in it. It's a spicy and sweet saucy sauce you pour over cooked chicken breast or thigh.
Hamburger hero. It is crumbled hamburger that tastes as I it has spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce in it. I've tried many times to re create it, all have failed miserably.
These where two dishes I lived on after I broke my arm summer of 1991 and had it He melts lead down and pours them into lead molds. He uses a propane turkey fryer and a cast iron pot for it. He gets the lead from a range in cove and wheel weights from a friend that owns a body shop. Apparently they don't think we should have a side job. surgically pieced back together. All I ate for the 6 month recoup, it was my comfort food. Well that and canned corn and canned tomato. But Id have to actually make that and this chic can't can to save her life.

Can you describe these dishes , what do you remember as ingredients , seasonings etc. There are a lot of dishes known by different names depending on where you are at. To me chicken cacciatore is Italian red sauce with chicken instead of meatballs or meat sauce...I got a recipes for this. Here in Louisiana any sandwhich on french bread is called a Po-boy. Ask for a Hero , a hogie or a grinder and people just look at you funny. Describe how the hamburger was a pattie or loose browned meat, any sauce ?
gary

2HighSpeed
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure why but one if my messages in another forum just reposted in the middle of that post. Stupid smartphone

Dark Helmet
02-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Check out this recipe, you'll find it to the right of the comments section of the video. I used boneless instead of bone in thighs. Ya gotta make his marinara, too! It's great!
http://screen.yahoo.com/chicken-cacciatore-30247784.html

gwpercle
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
This is how my grandmother did it for Sunday dinner when we would all come over. Feeds 8 to 10 people so you may want to cut this in half.

8 Tab. extra virgin olive oil
1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
2 - 3 lb. chickens, cut into serving pieces
2 tea. salt
1/2 tea. black pepper
1 large onion. diced
2 to 4 cloves garlic ( we like 4 ) , minced
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1- 14.5 can tomato sauce
2 Tab. sugar
1 tea. dried oregano
1 tea. dried basil
1/2 tea. thyme

In a large heavy dutch oven, heat 3 Tab. of olive oil, saute bell peppers and save. add remainder of oil and brown chicken pieces quickly on high heat. Add salt and pepper to chicken. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and saute 3 to 4 mins. Add tomato paste and stir untill it begins to bubble and the paste has darkened some ( don't burn it ). Add wine , tomato sauce, sugar , oregano, basil, and thyme. Cover and cook over low heat 20 to 30 mins. or untill chicken is tender. Add water if it becomes too thick. Remove cover , add back the peppers and simmer 15 to 20 mins. To thicken simmer without the lid. Skim any extra fat and serve overpaghetti.
This is how we do it. She didn't have any recipes envolving wheel weights. The hamburger dish sounds like a " Sloppy Joe " type dish , I'll work on that next...........gary

gwpercle
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
This sounds like it could be close to your Grandmother's. You will have to adjust the amount of brown sugar to your taste and maybe add a little oregano or Itialian spice blend to get the taste you remember.

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup tomato sauce or ketchup if out of tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
2 Tab. Brown sugar
2 tea. worcestershire sauce
2 tea. prepared mustard
1/2 tea. garlic powder
1/2 tea onion powder
1/2 tea. salt
1/4 tea. black pepper

In a large saucepan, brown beef over med. heat untill no longer pink. Drain well. Stir in tomato sauce ( or Ketchup ) water, brown sugar, worcestershire, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 30 to 40 mins. Make a sandwhich on the bread of your choice, french , hamburger buns or hero/hoagi rolls. Texas toast is good also. I like mine with mayo. Hope this is of some help.

gary

BIG RON
03-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I made this the other night, and my family LOVED it. When it was my turn again to fix dinner, my wife, Lori Darlin said it was SO WONDERFUL the other night, You should fix it again. I DID ! IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!

THANKS GARY ! ! !

Love Life
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
With my chicken cacciatore I use bone in raw chicken. Make sauce. Pour hot sauce on chicken in baking dish. Bake for a couple hours covered. Uncover the last 30 minutes. Turn the chicken a couple times while it cooks.

The sauce with bone in chicken is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than bonless, skinless chicken breasts. Much more flavor.

gwpercle
03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
BIG RON,
You are welcome, but which recipe did you fix...Chicken Cacciatore or sloppy joe's ? Last week I got a craving for the sloppy joes and fixed enough for dinner that night and the next...Gooood eatin.

And Love Life is right about bone in chicken, any time you can cook it with the bones it will add another dimension of flavor. When I cook I always try to start out with a whole chicken so I will have the bones.
Gary