PDA

View Full Version : The new Savage 22LR/410 Combination Rifle/Shotgun.

Four Fingers of Death
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
My friend turned up at the range on Wednesday with one of these combinations (I think one of these abominations would be a better description).

No way could I get it zeroed. The sights are cruddy soft plastic (as is most everything else on the abomination). It had a sensible enough windage adjustment, loosen the front and rear screw off and the rear screw hole was ellipitcal so you could move the rear of the sight either way, not that it made much difference, the thing shot high and right wherever I adjusted it.

The elevation screw seems to be an allen keyed grub screw and it shaved slivers of plastic off as soon as it was turned.

After jerking about for awhile, I was about to say get a cheap scope, but I noticed that it does not appear to have any provision for scope mounting.

A 22LR/410 combo should be a fun and useful tool,but this one is not shaping up too well so far. I have a good set of taps and dies,I will try and get a few small allen keyed grubscrews as the standard one is buggered.

I hope he didn't pay too much for it.

starmac
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
So all in all, how did you like it. lol I have only seen pictures, that weren't very interesting .

Twinkiethekid
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I had a old savage 22 mag/20 gauge rifle. I believe it was a model "E" ? Would like to see pics if possible.

possom813
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Model42

Was it one of those?

I looked at a couple of these on the shelf the last few months. They look neat, but not $450 neat, at least not to me.

Four Fingers of Death
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
That's the one Possum. No matter where we put the sights, it shot high and to the right. Apparently you can take the sights off and fit a scope. But, with those two (admittitely rather large) screws so close together, I don't know how it would go using the shotshells and slugs.

I will have another crack at it when Joe brings it back to the range and I will set up a huge target at 25yds to see exactly where it is going. They seem sort of expensive for an outfit that looks like it was made out of recycled plastic milk bottles.

Hardcast416taylor
02-07-2013, 11:57 PM
With a straight face Savage is asking $480 for that abomination! I have too much respect for small game and even tin cans and paper targets to use this "Thing" to shoot at them with.Robert

Four Fingers of Death
02-08-2013, 02:49 AM
At 25 yards they seemed to be impacting pretty close together, so it is bunny at 30-40 yards, but that's when I get it to shoot to point of aim, if ever.

I have an old mint Deluxe 222R/20Ga Savage and the slugs land 4-5" low and to the right if the rifle barrel is on. So it's pretty useless as well.

I've yet to have a combo rifle that was worth a spit., and that is including Tikka Combos.

Artful
02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
The most accurate Savage 24 I ran into was a friends that had the 22LR barrel full length soldered unto the shotgun barrel - it would clover leaf with ammo it liked at 50 yards no problem.

Only issue was the selector was the old button on the side type and when it busted it had to be changed over to the hammer selector type, leaving a hole in the side of it.

Four Fingers of Death
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
My 222R/20Ga is accurate enough, in spite of the heavy trigger, but when zeroed' so that the 222R is on aim, the slugs are low and right, which I don't think can be fixed apart from adjusting the sights so that they both need a small amount of Kentucky windage, which I don't fancy. I will have to try it with SGs and BBs. Trouble is, I picked up almost 200 20Ga Winchester Slug rounds when I bought the combo.

joe i
02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I guess what's old is new again...but maybe more cheaply made in the bargain. I had a friend (who has since passed on) that had a .22 / .410 combination gun that I'm sure was a Savage. It would've been from the '60's or earlier, possibly MUCH earlier. My memories of it are vague because I was so young at the time -- he used it for groundhogs around his house, to good effect.

Love Life
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I looked at one in the local wally world. I said "Ewwwwww. Gross." and handed it back to the counter guy.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
I looked at one in the local wally world. I said "Ewwwwww. Gross." and handed it back to the counter guy.

I said that when I first saw the picture online....

While I like the idea of a combo gun, I have never had the money when the opportunity arose. I think it was Valmet that had one that was user adjustable for regulation; that made the most sense to me.

Robert

GT27
02-09-2013, 12:17 AM
They are imported from Brazil, and evidently designed there...They need to stick to coffee,soccer,and making beautiful women,and teeny weeny bikini's there! GT27

colt1960
02-09-2013, 12:45 AM
I used to have one of the early model 24's 22lr-.410. the novelty of it wore off when I found out that it wasnt that great of a set-up. I sold it and havent wanted one since. Rick!

Four Fingers of Death
02-09-2013, 10:02 AM
They are imported from Brazil, and evidently designed there...They need to stick to coffee,soccer,and making beautiful women,and teeny weeny bikini's there! GT27

And bomb proof 92 clones!

They could have made a decent outfit, but were probably hammered by Savage to keep the cost down, I noticed though Savage did not really pass any of these savings on to the shooter.

Four Fingers of Death
02-09-2013, 10:05 AM
My hunting buddy had a Tikka 222R/12 combo which we both used and it worked well, but we used open sights and were teenagers with excellent eyesight at the time. Later on I had a Tikka 308W /12Ga which didn't work out too well and now the 24, which is a slow process as well.

Maybe I should remove the scope and see how I go.

Artful
02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Put a peep on it - take out the small hole disc for shotgunnery

Four Fingers of Death
02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Put a peep on it - take out the small hole disc for shotgunnery

Good idea! Skinner Sights,here we come! Even if it doesn't work out, it will up the resale value!

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2013, 12:04 AM
This might be the go;

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Artful
02-10-2013, 01:26 AM
If the 42 is like the 24 then this is the sight I would recommend
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/5D.htm
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/frakka/Williams5D.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2013, 03:12 AM
That's my combo type, I have used Williams FP sights many times before with great success, that would be a much better set up, infinetely adjustable (mind you, one I ever got a FP set up,I never touched it again, much like Leupold scopes, haha!).

Andrew Mason
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
i got my girl friend one of these savage model 42s

yes, the sights are a bit off, even at 20 ish yards you have to aim low

i have been thinking about other rear sight options, i am not sure what i want to do with it.
i do really like the gun, so far i have used it to take jack rabbits with the .22lr, and quail with the .410

the girl friend is learning to shoot clays with it and is doing great. she loves the
gun, and really likes how it looks, as do i.
then again, i am young, so i like synthetic stocks and dont mind plastic
i love the versatility that the gun offers.

i guess i got mine for a very good deal, after paperwork fees and taxes i paid $408