PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please.... 50/50..Mas Tin?

Nose Dive
02-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Gents... OK.. have alloyed virgin lead with Tin and Antimony... say... 5% tin..5% antinomy.... Dumped in about 8 lbs of WW from an old batch. I have about 60 pounds of matearial.... Old batch is supect and will resmelt and clean with Sulfur to clean up zinc. But,,, itch hit me to mould a few 230 gr. .45 calibre semi...I don't know what.... Mould is down stairs and will cycle in my 1911 so believe it to be a LYMAN something.... Cold dropped into icy water a few days ago....no brinnels.... but..no finger scratches and ...more explanation below...

They size out about .454 maybe 453.... bright and shiny boolits so alloys may be a bit rich...I pulled my Ruger 45 and dropped a few into the cyclinder. None dropped through...good so far...took a pencil and tryed to push them thru...no dice...either too hard or too big. So now am in a pickle... Took Calipers and sized cyclinder outlet to about .452 or so..each one...pretty uniform...put,,with wood pencil..none would punch through with my hand....Did not take to bench and pound thru with tool....

Boolits not scored to bad but can see rim from cyclinder.... have not sized barrel...mix on order from ROTOMETALs for that....

Put boolits in mouth of barrel and will fit to first lube ridge...all stop there.... Ok,,guys...you have limited data,,,no pictures and need your inputs..... Oooo Sorry...

I don't 'want to size' to 452 for leading reasons...or ... to darn lazy... Lube is 50/50 bees wax and Moly lube rich grease.

Charge is 21 grains of H110... shoot in an Ruger Bisley with a 4-5/8' barrel... think we kick em out around 1000 FPS.

So there you go..no brinnels,,but usually wait 30 days before sizing/relaoding to let all alloys settle down.... Rotometals says OD should be good after a few days and brinnels will settle in 30 and then all bets off on OD and brinnels...I belive this as have seen it....

SO here you go. Alloy rich mix, 'fat OD'..(454) and a 452 cyclinder and not Barrel ID data... Wish I had more. I lost my barrel slug to my son, so, will have to wait until ROTO metals gets me my slug stuff and provide Ruger Bareel ID...

NOW...Question to the forum....

1. Do we wait, resize to 452 and lube and shoot?
2. Get brave,,lube at 30 days and go hunting(shooting)?
3. Get the brinnels and really find out what we have? (alloy mix is really unknown)

Use is important here... really,,, hunting is off the table....beer cans and metal plates and milk jugs will be targets.... with no real data...no real hunting of meat animals is on the table...

I have read in these pages,,,that the 50/50 WW's and lead is the best hunting and "NON LEADING" mix. Maybe...dunno. but I like abit 'mas tin' in the form of pure tin pellets from Rotometals and Flux...Sulfur Flux...Pine Flux...Flux...then make ingots.... In a 20 30 pound smelt of WW's I add about 2 lbs of tin.

Opinions? Too Much Tin? (this is in a tin and antimony mix of unkown proportions)

OK guys...have entertained you enough. Thanks for you inputs...

Oooo again.... Am looking at 300 Gr WFN for the 45. Again.. 23 Gr H110 in the 4-5/8' ruger... I will warm this up to 25 grains in Bear Country...same boolit...

Thanks eveyone...

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

runfiverun
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
make a dummy round.
put it in the gun.
spin the cylinder around.

there you go.

if they fit you are good.
if they don't you gotta make them smaller.

popper
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Use CS to get the zinc out, doesn't flame up. CS will pull out tin also. Both are grain refiners for Pb, Cu refines Sb as well. CBs are tougher with Cu than S and will be hard in 24 hrs.. Sounds like your alloy is 50/50 #2/Pb. Works good in my rifles, but is too hard for 40SW. I'm using 0/1/0/99 Sn/Sb/cu/Pb (sulfurized)in the 40, leads all the bbl length using LLA. Works great in 30-30 & 308 with no leading. 0/1/1/98 works fine in the 308. I cut it to 0/.5/.5/99 for 40 but haven't shot any yet. Problem with the sulfur is that you can't tell how much you get in. R5R suggested to keep adding until it won't take anymore(cook it until it stops stinking), then cut with pure to get the proper toughness. Add tin and antimony as desired.