PDA

View Full Version : Which Fanny Pack Holster?

Mallard57
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I've been packing a pistol on dog walks lately and I'd like to pack one even more. My problem is, my current bag type holster doesn't leave much imagination that it's a holster. I was wondering if any of you had a particular brand and type of fanny pack holster that have worked well for you? I've looked at a few Uncle Mikes and Bianchis on the Midway website, they look pretty good but without holding it in your hands it's hard to make a proper judgement.
Thanks,
Jeff

sundog
07-23-2007, 04:19 PM
The flip side of that is, "Who cares." I don't mean to casual or sound uncaring, but if someone even thinks you might be carrying, that's a pretty good deterent, eh? As long as it covered up, concealed, then you should be good to go. Even if you go somewhere that has one of those stoopid no firearms signs posted, what are they gonna do? Search ya? Hey buddy, what's in that fanny pack?

Char-Gar
07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I am with Sundog on this one. Texas law just says it has to be concealed. It doesn't say, it has to be concealed in a clever way that folks can't figure out.

I would rather have the trouble makers pass me by, than fool them into thinking I don't have a gun.

NVcurmudgeon
07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Good point, Sundog and Chargar. I like to go into stealth mode with one of my wife's cute reuseable canvas grocery bags. What could look more innocent than a little old man in a floppy hat walking along carrying a bag with hearts on it?

Mallard57
07-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Gee,
Thanks for all the help!

Charlie Horse
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I've got an Uncle Mike's Sidekick and I do not like it. It has got to be the most awkward method of drawing a gun that's ever been devised. If I had a choice* I would choose something else.

*I have no other choice. It's a long story.

Pepe Ray
07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
I wore out an Uncle Mikes sidekick over a few years. It's the only fanny pack I've used. Gave good service for the MONEY. I didn't expect it to function like a holster so wasn't disappointed. I adapted to it. But, if I ever need another FP I'll try something else. Pepe Ray

lovedogs
07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
After trying several the wife and I are both carrying the Bianchi 4410 Top Secret 2. It costs a little more than some of the others but is well worth it. It's more comfortable, better carrying, easier accessible, and harder to grab off of you in a scuffle. In our opinion it's by far the best. And if you really plan on carrying it you want it to be comfortable and have some of the features it has that others don't. We'll never use anything else. If you are serious about concealed carry you must realize that you really want quality and one that best serves the purpose. Cost is not the deciding factor.... What's your safety worth? You can look at a picture in the Midway 2007 catalog on pg. 132.

Doughty
07-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Mallard57

You might try something like a case for binoculars. Instead of the glasses, put your pistol in it.

Mallard57
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I went to Sportsman's Whse. the other day and picked up a cordura fannypack/ gear bag for about $32.00. They had the same in leather for about $39.00.
Thanks for all of your help,
Jeff

NVcurmudgeon
07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
A friend and mentor gave me three bits of advice when I got my CCW: "Don't leave home without it." "Concealed means concealed." "After you have carried for a while, you will wind up with a box full of holsters." All true. I started off with an Uncle Mike's nylon holster, which is an OK starter, but not satisfactory in the long run. Now I am using a decent leather holster which is almost perfect. But I can see two custom holsters in my future. IMO, most of us don't know a lot about holsters and it takes a while to learn.

Ricochet
07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I just bought a concealed carry holster in the back-to-school section at Wal-Mart, arrayed with the backpacks around the ladies' fitting rooms. Cost $4.74, I think. Of course, they called it a "waist pack." I'd prefer something that didn't have a zipper on it, but this'll do for a bit.

MT Gianni
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Ricochet, see if a sewer near you can put a velcro opening in the side or top. Gianni.

BD
07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
It costs a bit of $$, but once you try a real belt and holster, or a good pocket holster, you'll never look back. In addition you'll find that you carry more and worry about it less. Then the issue becomes remembering to leave it in the car when you go into the Post Office. I've been carrying for a long time and I've never been "made" by anyone who wasn't hugging me, or watching me get dressed in the morning.
BD

Ricochet
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
I have a very nice inside-the-waistband leather holster for my Government Model that I made about 8 years ago in anticipation of getting my permit (that I'd already been procrastinating about for several years then), and it works nicely when wearing pants that aren't too tight and a baggy shirt hanging out. Actually I can usually see parts of the outline of the handle in a mirror when I wear it cross-draw, and anyone familiar with carrying guns would make me, but "normal" people don't notice. If I wear it on the right side it's better concealed, but less comfortable and I think the cross draw is more natural. I'm used to a shoulder holster on the left. Concealment in cool weather's no problem, it's in the summer where it gets to be an issue.

BD
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
If you feel the need to carry most everywhere you go, there's a lot to be said for a j-frame in a decent pocket holster. I wear "cargo" type shorts in the hot weather, and jeans or slacks everywhere else, and the j-frame rides right in there without ever drawing a glance. Nobody thinks it's at all odd if you walk around with your hands in your pockets, and that makes for a very fast draw. Nobody knows if you're reaching for your wallet, your keys or your cell phone, or none of the above. You can wear a tool belt with no problem or take off your shirt outdoors. In fact you can change your pants without giving it away. You never drop it on the toilet stall floor, or have it ride up in back when you sit down. No sore spot on your ribs at the end of a long day. I'd much rather have my pro carry in the versa-max II, but for everywhere, all the time, it's hard to beat the little 5 shooter in a front pocket.
BD

Bubba w/a 45/70
07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I carry my Model 19 on a gunbelt in a http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/index.html
holster and can carry it under nothing much more than a larger t-shirt, all without being made by anyone yet. Mine happens to be one of the sourdough models.

And that coming from a 6"2" 275 lb male is something to be happy with.

My suggestion is along the lines of everyone else that says get some quality holsters and you won't look back! Once you find one that works, use it....alot.

Mallard57
08-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I too have a large box of various holsters that haven't quite worked out. Currently I have a Galco inside the waist band holster that I like quite well. My big problem with holsters in my waistband or on my belt is that I'm fairly long waisted and shirts tend to ride up. This situation has gotten better since I've started wearing more Carhartt shirts that are actually long enough. I do have a couple of pocket holsters but they are for a little Beretta, they work great but I like a little more oomph than my .22 LR provides.
While I don't have my holster inventory exactly what I want, I'm getting a little closer all the time.
Jeff

Ricochet
08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I put some pics of my homemade inside the waistband holster over in the "Special Projects" forum. Might should've put it in here, but since the other pancake holster was over there, that's where I put it.

ebner glocken
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm 6'2" and 210#. Body type and size make alot of difference.

Most of the time in the summer I wear cargo pants with a loose polo shirt. Yes, there's alot to be said for the pocket holster and an airweight j frame in the front pocket. That is probably the most comfortable arrangement I have had yet. Next to that would be my bersa thunderer (seems heavy in the pocket holster) in an inside the pants bianchi that's actually made for a glock 19. I never thought that holster fit the glock at all but it fits the bersa well with little slop.

Winter allows a much wider choice. I really like the galco FETCH with a glock 19 or even a 1911 full size. The galco miami classic shoulder holster probably spreads out the weight of a handgun and magazines better than anything I've seen....at times I forget it's on, bad part is you have to wear a jacket.

EMC45
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Let's not overlook the clip type devices for revolvers and some autos. Barami is the company. Also I carry the Kel Tec 380 and the clip is great! I wouldn't carry it if it didn't have one on it! Or you could go the Ricochet route and stitch one up!:-D I bought a bunch of leather working gear off of a co-worker years ago for 100 bucks. It consisted of about every type stamp you can think of and a bunch of patterns, old leather working magazines, cutters, a rawhide mallet (45 bucks alone), snaps, snap setters, rivets and setters, and a bunch of other crap that I haven't used. The stuff came in handy when I made an IWB rig for my 1908 Colt pocket .380. Not a lot of demand for those in this "tactical" age.:???:

9.3X62AL
08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I tried fanny pack-type holsters several times, and while they have their place--you need to work with them A LOT to learn a good draw sequence. A crook/informant told me an interesting thing about these holsters once--these packs stick out like sore thumbs in CA, due to the scarcity of CCW citizens. The packs don't fool anyone with a speck of street savvy. What he said looked a lot less "cop-like" was to carry the holster from the shoulder, like some yuppie stockbroker with a man-purse.

I tried this, and it was actually faster and easier to draw from. With the strap over my left shoulder, the left hand broke the Velcro closure while the right hand reached and drew. The move is not unlike a shoulder holster in some ways.

Mallard57
08-03-2007, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE][/Let's not overlook the clip type devices for revolvers and some autos. Barami is the company. Also I carry the Kel Tec 380 and the clip is great! I wouldn't carry it if it didn't have one on it! Or you could go the Ricochet route and stitch one up! I bought a bunch of leather working gear off of a co-worker years ago for 100 bucks. It consisted of about every type stamp you can think of and a bunch of patterns, old leather working magazines, cutters, a rawhide mallet (45 bucks alone), snaps, snap setters, rivets and setters, and a bunch of other crap that I haven't used. The stuff came in handy when I made an IWB rig for my 1908 Colt pocket .380. Not a lot of demand for those in this "tactical" age. QUOTE]
I checked out the Barami website and I like the concept of that kind of grip, but alas, I have nothing in my inventory that they'll fit. I do really want a J- Frame S&W anyway, let's see, how do I break that one to the wife?
Jeff

RSOJim
08-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Sometime last year I went to an Orlando gunshow, actually several. The normal attire in central florida is shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes, socks optional. This is usually year round attire except the day or two around christmas when the temperature falls down to about 50 or so. I was wearing my sourdough under the t-shirt on my right side. In the sourdough was my 4 inch 629 smith. It sets tight and high against my side. I use the small pacmayer n frame grips. The entrance to the gunshow is protected by several florida highway patrol. There is always one highway patrolman standing at the entrance and asking everyone if they have any weapons or ammo. If so, they are directed to a table off to the side where 2 or more other highway patrolmen ( or highway persons ) inspect and use a plastic wire tie to make your gun inoperable. I got sent to the table when I answered yes that I was carrying. I approached the table slowly, the highway patrolmen were inspecting me, I could tell, I was getting the once over. I slowly reached under my t-shirt and proceeded to pull the 629. I don't think the highway patrol had seen anyone pull that large of a gun from under a t-shirt. I love that sourdough holster. It does a right good job.

BD
08-04-2007, 11:02 AM
So now I have to ask, "What's a sourdough?"
BD

EMC45
08-04-2007, 11:48 AM
"How do I break that one to my wife?"----- Carefully!
"Man purse" = "Murse"