PDA

View Full Version : Griz & My "Super" BH .45 Colt

Wireman134
02-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Hello, I'd like a little input on open carrying a Ruger BH .45 Colt loaded with 310gr. Lee boolits over 24gr. H110 in my Starline cases in Yellowstone this summer. I intend on using pistol as a last defense against bears while camping & hiking. Open carry became legal in Yellowstone Feb. 2010. Any thoughts?

kaytod
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
If you and your gun shoot them well, just put them where they should be if needed.

gon2shoot
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Shot a small (110lbs) black bear several years ago with 240gr boolits. Took two shots to put it down, but it worked.

frank505
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
gonna be an interesting year, drought last year so the remainder of the elk and deer are hungry. The alpha predators are going to be really hungry, although the wolf pack in one valley in jellystone died off from distemper. too bad, hope they all die.
i live 60 miles east of that place and will not go there, too many other places outside there to enjoy without the idiots.
BEWARE, you may not carry in buildings while you in the park. and remember there were two fatal bear attacks last year in the park.

jmort
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
That will kill anything on earth with proper shot placement. It will shoot through any bear on a braodside and pretty much stem to stern from front or back. Add some pepper spray and you are good to go.

Bwana
02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Just this:

http://yellowstoneinsider.com/s1-news/c34-articles/nps-clarifies-yellowstone-gun-rules-you-can-pack-but-you-cant-shoot.php

Bullshop
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I have shot griz but not with a 45 colt. Have shot a couple with a Marlin 45/70. One with the RCBS 525fngc and another with a 500gn PP. Both drt.
Now I do have some game field experiance with a 45 Colt. One will relate its effectivness. I was guiding for caribou with two on one hunt, two clients with one guide. I had to retrieve some meat from a previous days kill while bringing a client along to hunt.
We found a caribou he wanted so he decided to shoot. He was expert at everything because he told me so. He was shooting a 7 mag with 140gn Noslers old balistic tips. Shooting 300 yards at a caribou walking briskly into a steady 15 mph wind and he felt there was no nead for lead. He emptied his gun and hit the bull 4 times in the guts. The bull was very sick and laid down.
Because I knew I was going to be packing meat I left my rifle at camp and only took a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. The 45 was loaded with 300gn swc boolits from a Saeco mold and were loaded to 1000 fps mv.
When I aproached the caribou to finish it it stood up and began to slowly walk straight away from me. I looked back and saw the hunter was paying no attention but my packer was watching through binos. At probably less than 50 yards I drew the 45 aimed at the rear vent and fired a shot. The caribou crumpled and it was over. When my packer came over I asked him if he saw the shot. He said yes it was really wierd because he saw the hide on the chest streach way out then a puff of hair.
The 300 gn 45 boolit penitrated the length of the caribou and exited the chest. Sinc then I dont feel much need for more power than that in a hand gun for defence in bear country.
I did once have to shoot a black bear intent one eating my lunch but that was with a 44 with Elmers favorite load and is another story.

frank505
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
oh to have that on video!!!!!!!!

makicjf
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
I use a lee 452 300 gc wd form ww over 24 h110 as a thumper. They weigh about 318 checked and lubed. Accurate as you could want from both rugers, and the recoils is actually very enjoyable to me. I use a pinky under hold, no gloves and have never had any issue with recoil from the 7 1/2 or 4 5/8 bbls. I have fired one handed as well. They simply demolish water jugs and spray water 20 feet or better into the air. Sadly, I have never shot anything living with them, but can't imagine anything living long after beiing hit in vitals and/or large bone with that big flat nosed bludgeon doing 1200-1300 fps. This boolit and powder combo turns both 92's and both 45 colt rugers into hammers of god, as best I can tell. Someday I'll get the chance to shoot a big texas pig or something bigger with that load: I am certain others have killed toothy brutes, elk, moose etc with them. I would shoot a few before you carry to get used to the roar and reduce the flinch factor.
Hope you don't need to use them this summer!
Jason

Fluxed
02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Just this:

http://yellowstoneinsider.com/s1-news/c34-articles/nps-clarifies-yellowstone-gun-rules-you-can-pack-but-you-cant-shoot.php

While this article should absolutely not be relied upon for legal advice, I'd think twice about open carry in any NP around other people - you're gonna cause a stir. I suggest you figure out a way to be as unobtrusive as possible. And if you do have to shoot a bear, there's gonna be LOTS of questions asked. Maybe more than if you shot a human who was intent on doing you harm.

44man
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
While this article should absolutely not be relied upon for legal advice, I'd think twice about open carry in any NP around other people - you're gonna cause a stir. I suggest you figure out a way to be as unobtrusive as possible. And if you do have to shoot a bear, there's gonna be LOTS of questions asked. Maybe more than if you shot a human who was intent on doing you harm.
That is true, you still have no legal means to protect your life or your families lives from animals.
Understand any animal in a national park is more valuable then you are.
Even at Harpers Ferry, the park is so full of deer it is nothing but splish-splash on the roads. The town has a BIG deer problem and has had some archery hunts in city limits but that does nothing at all. You DARE not have a firearm. Big brother will jail you.
To kill a bear in Yellowstone means you need to be chewed on for 20 minutes first.

jwp475
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Tristan
02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Bullshop - would love to hear the other story sometime, too...

Regarding the original question, I'd suggest loading the the maximum velocity that provides accuracy, and then practice, practice!

Wireman134
02-11-2013, 10:36 PM
61025No problem hitting at range. 300gr. XTP w/ 22gr. H110 @ 80yds.