PDA

View Full Version : help on selecting lube.

johnson1942
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
i am fine tuning paper patching for my .50 black powder rifle and i have most of it right, except i dont know a thing about which lube to put on the paper that will give me the most consistant accracy. i welcome all facts, opinions and experiences so i can learn from this post. thanks before hand. johnson1942

Don McDowell
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Might try jojoba oil. I've had some good results with it.

montana_charlie
02-06-2013, 02:36 PM
i dont know a thing about which lube to put on the paper that will give me the most consistant accracy
I can't answer your question because I don't use any, but ...
Why do you think that a lube is required?

CM

johnson1942
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
montana charlie, that is a good queation. do i really need any lube at all? thanks

John Boy
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
...except i don't know a thing about which lube to put on the paper that will give me the most consistent accuracyJohnson, using a proper lube is subordinate to accuracy. Your bullet-reload and trigger pull are the primary areas that improve accuracy

OK, your looking for a good lube. There are many that have been developed over the last 100 years. Here are many of them ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0
If you don't want to make your own then recommend buying a commercial lube the likes of SPG. This lube is used by many of the top match shooters in the US that shoot in hot and cold weather

If you want to try a homemade lube that I've been using for 3 years now that has provided no lube starvation or leading, it's ...
40% Mutton Tallow
40% Paraffin or micro crystalline Wax
20% Bees Wax

Don recommended a lube with jojoba oil. It's excellent and so is one with meadow foam oil. Each of these oils has long hydro-carbon chemical chains which is what supports a good lube

Don McDowell
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
If you follow remingtons instruction for reloading cartridges from the 1875 catalog, they recommend to load the cartridge and then wipe the patched bullet down with a drop of spermicetti on your finger and use a clean rag to wipe off the excess. The patch will soak up all it needs... Well spremicetti is in short supply around here since they done killed the last of the spermwhales here in the upper reaches of the Niobrara and Cheyenne Rivers.... So the next best thing is jojoba oil, 3-4$ an oz in the little bottles at health food stores, drug stores etc. Try it see if you and the rifle like it, and if it works out for you then you can buy it in gallon and half gallon sizes from various vendors on the internet at a considerable savings.
Sometimes lubing the patch helps, sometimes it makes no difference and yet other times it really smucks things up...
I prefer a lubed felt wad under the bullet to a lubed patch.

bigted
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
there are a couple lubes that are very easy to make;

1- 40% vasoline...60% bee's wax. melted together very carefully in a double boiler or over a very lite heat just enough to raise the temp enough to melt the wax and vasoline so as to be able to stir it together as it is melted.

2- 30% bee wax...30% crisco vegi shortening...30% peanut oil. i use this a bunch and make it thusly...melt the wax first then when all the wax is melted add the crisco and stir as the crisco melts into the wax...then i add the oil as i stir it together...allow it to continue over the heat for a few [3] minutes then turn off the heat.

for a muzzleloader tho why not use thompson center..."bore butter" ? this is configured for muzzleloaders and i cant think it wouldnt work just fine on a patched muzzle loaded boolit.

also might try a lube cookie of 1 of these lubes or what has been mentioned in the above posts under the boolit and seperated from the powder with a wax paper slip and a .030 or .060 vegi wad to protect the base of the boolit from the lube and .

whatever you do i for 1 would be interested in your sucess and tribulation on this project.