PDA

View Full Version : P-H Nipple Threads

Mike.44
02-06-2013, 04:35 AM
I purchased some new Treso-Ampce nipples for my Parker hale 1853 Enfield from Track. Track said it should use 5/16-18 nipples. The Original nipple on the musket has finer threads and the T-A wont fit.....anyone else had this happen?

Mike.44
02-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Just used a "thread checker" and it came up 5/16-24....weird. Oh, well I just ordered a couple.

451 Pete
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
The "Parker Hale " rifles went through several stages or changes in their manufacturing history. The very first rifles were manufactured by Parker Hale in England, had english walnut stocks, a 5/16x 18 musket nipple thread, a cartouche reading Parker Hale on the stock and a crown with the "PH " stamped under it on the lock. Barrels were stamped " Parker-Hale Birmingham England " along with a crown and BP proof marking near the nipple on the barrel top. In the early 1990's due to labor problems the production of these was halted and the machinery was idled for several years. Navy Arms Company purchased this machinery and what parts were on hand and re-introduced these rifles back into production at the Gibbs Rifle Company works. Later models were produced with the purchased parts and when those ran out new parts were manufactured from the Parker Hale tooling. These rifles have the 5/16x 24 nipple threads and american walnut stocks with varying stampings on the barrel and lock parts. Both the American manufactured and the original English made rifles shoot very well.

hope this helps .... Pete

Mike.44
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Mine is an early ser# apparently with the different threads.

59sharps
02-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Mine is an early ser# apparently with the different threads.

Check w S & S firearms they can tell you the pitch you need. and have the nipple. If memory is correct the older english are true to the original PH I may still have on around somewhere if I can find it I will let you know
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EN76

Mike.44
02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
I really appreciate your help....Thanx