PDA

View Full Version : new press

doulos
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I just ordered a Redding Big Boss 2. I like the idea of the spent primers going down a tube. With my Rockchucker priming ash and gunk gets everywhere. It seems to be the biggest weakness of the press. Anybody got one of these Reddings?

Also ordered some Sinclair and Hornady die lock rings. I dont really care for the RCBS rings on most of my dies..

Randy C
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Looks like a keeper to me.
Redding Big Boss 2

drklynoon
02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I also really like the optional redding priming system for the bog boss series. I am considering buying one of these presses to replace my current single stage. Let us know how you like it.

calgunner
02-06-2013, 03:40 AM
My Lee Challenger press wasn't up to the job of brass conversion and finally broke. After reading up from guys on the forum here I replaced it with the Redding Big Boss press and I've had no problems at all with it. It is very smooth and tight in operation that seems to me requires less arm force to use than the Lee press did.

doulos
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I like the power of my Rockchucker Supreme but the primer catcher is pathetic. I have to wedge a piece of cardboard behind so primers don't end up on the floor. I'm constantly cleaning it. But I'm still keeping it. I'm probably going to use the Redding as a dedicated rifle round press. The only other Redding products I have are a couple of crimp dies. I really like their roll crimp for .44mag. They seem very high quality.

r1kk1
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
My Lee Challenger press wasn't up to the job of brass conversion and finally broke. After reading up from guys on the forum here I replaced it with the Redding Big Boss press and I've had no problems at all with it. It is very smooth and tight in operation that seems to me requires less arm force to use than the Lee press did.

+1

My experience is from the 80s. I'm trying to find the podcast where ammosmith interviewed Redding. It is NOT a mass produced item. Every used Redding press I have found, was silky smooth in operation. They have one guy according to the interview that his only job in the last couple of decades is to fit rams and such. My wife has been eyeballing the T-7 and I the Ultramag. I have no problem with the 550 and Champion setup we are currently using. I can appreciate the fine tools Redding makes.

Take care

r1kk1

mdi
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I had one in '87 (it was sold during a messy divorce). Excellent tool...

r1kk1
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I had one in '87 (it was sold during a messy divorce). Excellent tool...

Not cool. I hate the divorce word.

r1kk1

MT Chambers
02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
The original poster made a wise purchase and he should get many years of good service from a quality tool from a great maker.

'74 sharps
02-07-2013, 07:00 AM
A few years ago, Redding was my first press when I got into reloading, and it still is. Their powder trickler is great, as it weighs quite a bit and doesn't slide around on my bench.

hd09
02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I believe you get what you pay for. As long as it's not over msrp.

300winmag
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
+1

My experience is from the 80s. I'm trying to find the podcast where ammosmith interviewed Redding. It is NOT a mass produced item. Every used Redding press I have found, was silky smooth in operation. They have one guy according to the interview that his only job in the last couple of decades is to fit rams and such. My wife has been eyeballing the T-7 and I the Ultramag. I have no problem with the 550 and Champion setup we are currently using. I can appreciate the fine tools Redding makes.

Take care

r1kk1
Over this past year I bought both T7 and Ultramag, the Ultramag is a great press for the magnums, overall I do not know why I waited so long to get them. I am not dissapointed by know means. I would say go for it!!!!!

1hole
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
"My Lee Challenger press wasn't up to the job of brass conversion ... "

Nope, it's just not made for that kind of work. But, Lee's Classic Cast is as good as any in it's design class and it certainly has much better user features than my Rock Chucker. The only thing price is a guide to is cost.

300winmag
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Good purchase, primer feature is good no more picking the up off the floor.
As Randy C says, its a keeper.

doulos
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Good purchase, primer feature is good no more picking the up off the floor.
As Randy C says, its a keeper.

well its on its way. Sinclair shipped it yesterday.
By the way that Ultramag press looks massive. I know its closer in the picture ,but it looks like it weighs 40 lbs.

LUBEDUDE
02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
When you see that UltraMag on the same bench with other presses, you realize what a MONster it is!

r1kk1
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
"My Lee Challenger press wasn't up to the job of brass conversion ... "

Nope, it's just not made for that kind of work. But, Lee's Classic Cast is as good as any in it's design class and it certainly has much better user features than my Rock Chucker. The only thing price is a guide to is cost.

In the late 80s I was told by Lee that it would handle anything short of bullet swaging. It didn't. Frame ok just linkage issues. Sent back before 30 day return expired. I use to form a lot of 7 TCU, 30 and 357 Herrett, etc. Now they have the upgraded linkage. Who knows, it may work better now.

Take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Over this past year I bought both T7 and Ultramag, the Ultramag is a great press for the magnums, overall I do not know why I waited so long to get them. I am not dissapointed by know means. I would say go for it!!!!!

Thanks 300winmag, are the handles solid? I think the rams are hollow. The links Redding uses are truly massive. Both of your presses weigh as much as my Champion. We will go for it plus we are adding a CO-AX this year.

Take care

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I'd like to see that Champion and UltraMag side by side.