PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizer or lubersizer?

3jimbo3
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I currently use the Lee sizer kit for my cast boolits but I am considering going to a Lyman or RCBS sizer. What do you guys prefer? I know that with the Lee set I am pretty much limited to tumble lube or pan lube and the Lyman and RCBS is more expensive, but which one will produce better product? Thanks for your opinions.

Reg
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Yes, with the Lee system you are limited to tumble or pan lubing but from my experience you will get a much better finished product.
Have played with a number of Lyman 45's through the years and all suffer from the same fault. No matter how you try, it is way too easy to size the bullets off center. Check it out.
Hold a finished bullet in your fingers, note the area sized, the lands. Rotate that bullet carefully in your fingers and note the sizing of the bullet. All too many are very visibly sized off center and for the ones that appear good to the eye, you have to wonder just how true are they.
I have taken some that appeared to be good and set them up in a RCBS concentricity checking center, set the dial indicator to the extreme outer end and carefully rotated.
All too many of them were off only a couple of thousands and it really wasn't hardly visible to the eye at all.
Have run the same check with the Lee and at the most I have gotten is .0010 and most less to no out of TIR. at all.
With the way used reloading equipment is selling right now, my Lyman 45 with a Midway heating pad is going to the next gunshow.

Blanket
02-05-2013, 10:46 PM
The Lee sizes from the base which is good, I have the RCBS, a Lyman and several Stars but for rifle I prefer a Saeco set up to push from the base straight thru

williamwaco
02-05-2013, 10:59 PM
I used Lyman 45, followed by 450, and now 4500.
I used them to size and lubricate every bullet I loaded since 1956.

About two years ago, I joined this forum and discovered the Lee system.
It is not held in high regard by most members here.

That said, I LOVE the Lee system.

I have totally retired my Lyman Lubrisizer for handgun bullets and use the Lee system exclusively.

I am still experimenting with rifle bullets but LLA tumbled bullets are working fine in my .30-30.

See:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

for my test results. 70 loads with 17 bullets in 11 different guns.

Muddydogs
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Here is my limited opinion as a guy that strated with the Lee tumble lube for .40 and .44 and just resently started using a lube sizer for .357. The lube sizer is a slow pain in the rear process that I might get use to but I have a .358 Lee push through die coming from Midway. I am going to try some traditional lube groove 357 bullets with tumble lube and see how they do.

MT Chambers
02-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Get a Star, much more precise, much faster then anything else, the RCBS is next best, both these systems you lube and Size in 1 operation, with the Lee it is at least a two step process, no comparison between the Star and the %$#.

Echd
02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Lee + tumbling is just so much faster than anything else, and a sizer costs about half to a third of a sizing die for lubrisizers. I don't see any better results from lubesizers, so I just TL pretty much everything. YMMV

kenyerian
02-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I use the Lee for pistol boolits and use the lubrisizer on the rifle boolits for the most part .

Reg
02-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Yes, with the Lee system you are limited to tumble or pan lubing but from my experience you will get a much better finished product.
Have played with a number of Lyman 45's through the years and all suffer from the same fault. No matter how you try, it is way too easy to size the bullets off center. Check it out.
Hold a finished bullet in your fingers, note the area sized, the lands. Rotate that bullet carefully in your fingers and note the sizing of the bullet. All too many are very visibly sized off center and for the ones that appear good to the eye, you have to wonder just how true are they.
I have taken some that appeared to be good and set them up in a RCBS concentricity checking center, set the dial indicator to the extreme outer end and carefully rotated.
All too many of them were off only a couple of thousands and it really wasn't hardly visible to the eye at all.
Have run the same check with the Lee and at the most I have gotten is .0010 and most less to no out of TIR. at all.
With the way used reloading equipment is selling right now, my Lyman 45 with a Midway heating pad is going to the next gunshow.

dromia
02-06-2013, 04:01 AM
If I am going for best concentricity for long range shooting then I use the Lyman and the push through method. I lube and gas check the boolits in an RCBS or Lyman lube sizer using a one thou over cast diameter H&I die. I then size the lubed boolit with The Perfessors push through sizing unit which utilises my H&I dies so I have no need to purchase the Lee ones, helps keep my inventory down and utilises H&I dies which I can also use in my Lyman RCBS lubesizers.

I have three RCBS Lubesizers, two Lyman 45s, one Lyman 450, two Wamadets, a Vickers and don't have much in the way of runout on the boolits, not enough to be noticeable on paper targets out to 600 yrds, I do free float the nose punch in them. I also have a Mepos which is push through sizer just need to get more dies from Lathesmith.

alfloyd
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
I started with an older Lyman 450. It became so loose that it sized the boolits off center a lot.
I then went with an RCBS model 1, which I still have. It works much better.
I also got a Star. It gets used on everything that I have a die for, and the RCBS gets used on the rest.

Lafaun

3jimbo3
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
thanks for all your opinions, me being novice as i am in casting, i think i will stick with the lee set ups. at least until i get more experience under my belt. once again thanks to all