PDA

View Full Version : Vtg BULLET SIZER / LUBE PRESS HELP......

bigdaddy.
02-05-2013, 06:43 PM
I recently found this vtg bullet sizer/lube press at an estate sale.
I can not find a company name or marking of any kind to identify or date this vintage reloading tool.

Take a look at these photos & if you think you can provide me with any info
PLEASE feel free to contact me at saltfever@cox.net

Pressman
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I asked Bigdaddy to post these here as I am as stumped as he as to who made the sizer.
Ken

boltons75
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Very nice looking find. Id be interested to hear if the die is the same size as the star dies.

bigdaddy.
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
This is Bigdaddy----- The owner of this lube/sizer press
I recently had a Very Early PAT PEND STAR lubrisizer , It was sold on ebay & the buyer had me send it to PRESSMAN for the ARTCA collection. The die in this current lube/sizer press looks to be just like the die that was in the early STAR lubrisizer.

This current lube/sizer press was pretty dirty when I found it at an estate sale in San Diego. I used a little WD-40 & a tooth brush to get the dirt, dust & muck off this press to look for any markings. None were found. There are no marking on the die that is in this press that I can see. I have not tried to remove the die to see if it is marked on the side.

I'm not into reloading but I do have a nice collection of handguns & rifles. So I'm not totally ignorant about reloading & the tools.
I checked the size of the die in this press with a 357 mag round I have & it looks to be the approximately the same size. So I would guess there is a .38 caliber die in this press.

I really look forward to hearing from anyone to try to identify this tool. You can post comments in this forum or you can contact me at saltfever@cox.net

DukeInFlorida
02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Lube sizers are nice, and while I can'r help with any identification for yours, it seems to me that you would have gotten better responses posting your inquiry in the LUBE/SIZING area, rather than the swaging area.

Maybe one of the mods would move the thread there for you?

bigdaddy.
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
PRESSMAN recommended I put this in the swaging section. I contacted him directly when I first found this less than a week ago.
I'm new to this forum & the only other time I have posted in the forum was when I had the Early Star Machine Works lubrisizer & was looking for help with it.

If one of the moderators think it need to me moved to LUBE/SIZING area... I fine with that.

runfiverun
02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
it screams star to me, the handle shape is sooo similar to an early one i have.
i am not 100 percent positive but i recall they took their initial design from another company [or bought them out] and modified it.
i'd have to clean that up and use it if i had it.
the early stars were designed to push the boolit through base first and used a top punch,the flat punch could be for flat nose boolits.

supe47
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Handle, die, high pressure lube piston....looks like an early star. Wonder if the pressure screw is tapped for removal? I bought my star from the shop in downtown San Diego. It was like stepping back in history with the machines run off power shafts from above with belts. I believe they were originally a brass foundry so I'd imagine they cast their own aluminum bodies. This one appears iron, perhaps an early model or the model they based their product on. Try to find this gent ........Paul "Fitz" Jones. He owned star in the 70's and would know. The last I could find out about him.........http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?80859-Paul-Fitz-Jones-where-is-he-these-days.
Supe

bigdaddy.
02-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Because of my experiance with the early STAR lubrisizer. I was told to check what the parts are made of with a magnet.
Almost everything on this lube/sizer press is cast iron or machined steel. The lube tube cap is not magnetic so I think it is aluminum & of course the handle is wood. PRESSMAN doesn't thing this is a STAR press but is not sure. That is why he had me start this thread.

supe47 asked if the the pressure screw it tapped for removal. If your talking about the large screw that goes into the cap on the lube tube. YES it is threaded... Here is a photo.

supe47 also said that STAR MACHINE WORKS was a brass foundry. I believe they were & they cast brass sprinkler parts.

supe47
02-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Might that lube tube cap be brass? (brass foundry) Have you removed the tube cap? Looks like the lube pressure screw is reversible to use as a screw to remove the lube plunger. If the lube screw can be reversed it sure looks like an early Star or it's where they got their idea for theirs.Looks like they used the principle behind this model and simplified the linkage and reduced the machining. I like the handle return spring. Made one for mine also. Nice chunk of iron you have there. Star Machine made "work of art" sprinklers for LARGE areas, golf courses, ect. They were to pretty to use. The day I bought my Star there was a man up front hand lapping the center support post for one of their progressive reloaders. Talk about pride in quality. It was a class shop. Father son business as I remember.
Supe

bigdaddy.
02-07-2013, 04:51 AM
supe47
The lube tube cap is made of BRASS ! ! !
Not being magnetic & having a gray color patina on it I assumed it was aluminum...
I took my pocket knife & gave the lube tube cap a little scrape & it is brass. Thanks for asking

Before you asked , I had not tried to remove anything. BUT I just tried to remove the cap & the whole lube tube turned where it is threaded into the cast iron body of the press. I can see that the cap is threaded onto the tube, but it is on very tight. I really don't want to use pliers on this because I do not want to leave tool marks. I'm going to look for my strap wrench & see if I can get the cap loose.

Roundnoser
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Bigdaddy,

I'm wondering if you have an early version of a Meepos Speedlube. Both the Speedlube and the mystery sizer have some similar charactoristics. See these examples: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145605-Meepos-Speedlube

I would also like to have some measurements: OD of the lube tube. OD of the lube tube cap. OD of the bullet ram shaft.

Also, if you take a close look at a Meepos Speedlube, you notice the middle handle is used to manually acutate the pumping of lube from the main reservoir to the sizing die. The handle pushes down on a plunger stem (return spring is internal to the press). On the mystery press there is a rutamentory plunger with an external return spring...albiet an automated process .

I will also note that the original Meepos Speedlube handles, are/were very close in design to the mystery press. -- My best guess is that you have a early / prototype Meepos lube-sizer.

SOFMatchstaff
02-08-2013, 04:42 PM
That is NEAT.. I have never run across a cam and follower actuated loading tool before, they all seem to be toggle link styles. The Meepos with multiple handles is kinda unique also. Never ceases to amaze..

.30/30 Guy
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
It looks like a Star and Meepos got together and had kittens!

bigdaddy.
02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Roundnoser
Thanks for the info & link to the Meepos Speedlube...
The way the bodies are cast, it looks to have been done by the same company. You may have solved part of the mystery????

Here is the info you requester about this tool
( Measurement done with a tape measure because I don't have a set of calipers here.)
Lube Tube OD: 1 1/2"
Lube Tube Cap OD: 1 5/8"
Main Bullet Ram Shaft OD: 5/8"

You used the term PROTOTYPE....I'm going to hold off using that work....
I recently found a early PAT PENDING STAR MACHINE WORKS Lubrisizer. I posted it on the star & cast bullits forum. I made the mistake of calling it a prototype after an old STAR employee told me it was a prototype. Well I caught all kinds of flack from the other members on both sites. For right now I'm going to hold off making any claims about what this thing is , When it was made & who make it.
BUT thanks for the help

Roundnoser
02-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Roundnoser
Thanks for the info & link to the Meepos Speedlube...
The way the bodies are cast, it looks to have been done by the same company. You may have solved part of the mystery????

Here is the info you requester about this tool
( Measurement done with a tape measure because I don't have a set of calipers here.)
Lube Tube OD: 1 1/2"
Lube Tube Cap OD: 1 5/8"
Main Bullet Ram Shaft OD: 5/8"

You used the term PROTOTYPE....I'm going to hold off using that work....
I recently found a early PAT PENDING STAR MACHINE WORKS Lubrisizer. I posted it on the star & cast bullits forum. I made the mistake of calling it a prototype after an old STAR employee told me it was a prototype. Well I caught all kinds of flack from the other members on both sites. For right now I'm going to hold off making any claims about what this thing is , When it was made & who make it.
BUT thanks for the help

I used "prototype" lacking a better word. Maybe "early" model. -- For the Meepos, I'm getting approx. 1-1/4" OD for the tube...1-1/2" OD for the cap...and 5/8" for the main ram shaft.

bigdaddy.
02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I knew what you meant.
I just wanted to let you know what happened to me when I used the P word..... LOLOLOL

geargnasher
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Did you seek info from the estate? Someone has a story to tell if it hasn't been lost on liberal hippie decendants.

Gear

bigdaddy.
02-09-2013, 12:29 AM
This estate sale was full of vintage fire arms dating back to the civil war. Many WWI & WWII guns, US & German. Many Knifes , Baronets , dummy mortar rounds & tubes. The folks running the estate sale were struggling to identify all those item. They had no idea what this was. When I asked about this lube/sizer they thought it was a old bottle jack..... It was covered in dust in the corner of the garage. I found it in a old dynamite box. I don't think they even knew it was there till I pulled it out of the box....So they had no information on this press.

bigdaddy.
02-09-2013, 04:14 PM
When I first got this press I quickly checked the parts with a magnet. The magnet stuck to everything but the lube tube cap. Witch I figured out was brass or bronze. The lube tube itself just didn't have the right color to be steel but the magnet stuck to it. So I assumed it was steel. This morning I got my magnet out again & did some checking on the lube tube again. Turns out the lube tube is not steel it is brass or maybe copper. The magnet was attracted to what ever is inside the lube tube.

rintinglen
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
When I first saw your pictures, I thought it was an old Belding and Mull, but it differs from the picture I have. The handle resembles a Star, but the base seems less finished than Star products were. Does anyone have a copy of Phil Sharpe's Complete Handloading Guide? Mine was ruined in storage and I've never found an affordable copy to replace it.

LUBEDUDE
02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with Roundnoser. Being an owner of a Meepos reloader; to me, the frame casting of the mystery lube sizer just "says" Meepos.

Pressman
02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I have looked through a lot of my reference materials and find nothing, yet the cam and fulrum linkage keeps haunting me that I have seen it somewhere before.
Sharpe's reference to the Meepos talks about a different operating system for there early sizer. This one is too Star-like in the pressure screw and die. That would indicate that it was made later than a Star but maybe before the Star patent was issued. After the patent there would be big legal problems for the makers of this tool.
It will be here in a couple of weeks or less so just maybe with sizer in hand I can sort it out.
Ken

GOPHER SLAYER
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I have never seen or heard of reloading gear called Meepos. Could someone post some pictures please?

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Well Pressman, I definitely trust your judgement. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

LUBEDUDE
02-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Meepos Metallic Reloader - not mine.

Pressman
02-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Meepos Lube-sizer, early version.

Ken

bigdaddy.
02-23-2013, 03:56 AM
PRESSMAN
The MYSTERY Lube-O-Sizer is packed & will be shipped Monday 2/25/13
If you figure out who made this tool.. Let me know.

Pressman
02-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks bigdaddy, it will be featured in the March ARTCA newsletter along with the Star and some others.
Ken

bigdaddy.
02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
PRESSMAN
I would like to get a copy of that newsletter

Pressman
02-28-2013, 08:53 PM
The press arrived today and I have it partly taken apart. It needs a good cleaning. What it is not is a Star or a Meepos. Not even close other than the straight through method of sizing. There are no marks, names or numbers on the frame or the die.
So the mystery continues.
Ken

9.3X62AL
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm no help on this query, but I'll bet ARTCA can shed some light on the subject. It's a shame that longtime members like Floodgate have been run off by the boorish posts made by a few imbeciles that crop up here on occasion. Serious students and authorities in given fields don't stay long where the weeds aren't hoed and lawn goes unmowed and unedged.

Char-Gar
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
My mind can't pull up the image, but the maker Potter keep passing through when I look at the pics in this thread.

Roundnoser
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
My mind can't pull up the image, but the maker Potter keep passing through when I look at the pics in this thread.

It is definitely NOT a Potter. I have a pile of information on Potter equipment, and I know the Potter family. There are two different Potter lube-sizer prototypes that exist (one of them is well-known. The other was just discovered by the family last month, and I am trying to get my hands on it for a close inspection...exciting stuff!). The subject sizer does not "fit the mold" in terms of design, parts, operation, etc.

Pressman
03-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks Jon, I was digging in my Potter pictures last night but nothing stood out. I should have it cleaned and back together today then better pictures. I am still trying to understand how the die works. At first glance there are no lube holes in it. Maybe some kind of sliding sleeve arrangement like the old Pesco used. It does have a lube pump that is actuated by the lever on full down stroke. And there is a spring pined inside the ram that cushions, or does something, to the top punch.

Ken

Pressman
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Cleaned up it looks a lot better and I can figure out how it works. There is a lube pump that is actuated by the handle on down stroke. There is a sleeve and spring inside the ram. This allows the nose punch to stop moving while the handle is pulled down to actuate the lube pump. And there is the unique linkage. The lever has a roller, and it works very smoothly.
The die drops in the frame with no lock nut. It fits snuggly and presumably does not leak. The lube piston is patterned after the Star.
Now, who made it?
Ken

bigdaddy.
03-04-2013, 12:10 AM
PRESSMAN
That thing cleaned up nice... It is a work of art.
Heck maybe I should have charged you more for it....LOL ...Just kidding.
I'm glad it got to you & the ARTCA.

The photos I posted when I started this thread were of the press after I cleaned it up just a little with a tooth brush & a little WD-40. When I found it it was CAKED with old lube , dust & grime from years of use & sitting unused for who knows how long. I should have taken before photos

Did you have much trouble getting the lube tube cap off , I tried my best with my hand & a small strap wrench. But it didn't want to budge. I didn't try real hard... didn't want to mess it up...

Did you clean up that PAT PEND STAR Lube press I sent to you??? I would like to see photos of that.
Thanks again
BigDaddy

Roundnoser
03-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Beautiful looking press, and a great conversation piece Ken. Now, if we can only figure out its origin. The game is afoot!

Pressman
03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Bigdaddy, Here is the Star, it to cleaned up quite nicely. The Picture was taken with the die partly inserted.
I will send you a PDF of the newsletter with the Star and Unknown so you can see the color photos. The print edition is in B&W for $$$ reasons.
Ken

bigdaddy.
04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
PRESSMAN
Any luck on figuring out who made the mystery LUB-O-SIZER

Pressman
04-12-2013, 07:36 PM
No, no response from the ARTCA membership. I guess they are just as blank as I am. I still owe you the copy of the newsletter. I am hoping to get it in the mail tomorrow. Work is getting in the way of life, in March I had a $15,000 transmission grind itself in to little pieces. Ouch. Just now getting caught up from that mess. New computer decided to die at the same time, lost some data.

Ken

Green Frog
04-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Add me to the list of folks fascinated by this lube press. It just appeals to my sense of the weird, I guess! :coffeecom Now that it's clean and working, has anybody actually lubed and sized a bullet with it? :confused:

Froggie

Pressman
04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Froogie sorry to say no. I boiled it clean and hate to get it dirty! Sure is purtty though.

Ken