PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead

Roundgunner
02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
I ended up with about 4 gallons of pure lead ingots. I don’t need pure lead but some people do for black powder or something. Is this something I should trade to someone or is it worth the hassle? I have old 50-50 solder and WW to harden it up.

OuchHot!
02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
With that gorgeous smelter that you built, I would just keep it around incase you want to dilute an alloy down for low vel. handgun use. Or maybe you need to buy a muzzleloader?

rsrocket1
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm sure there will be muzzle loaders who would gladly trade wheel weight ingots for your pure lead ingots, but the cost in shipping might make it cheaper to simply add some solder to your lead to just keep it yourself.

Nose Dive
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Mmmmm 'Vot es da mex das gut?".... I like pure lead and Wheel weights. 50/50 if i can get it. But,,,latley have been dumping in Tin pellets from rotometal and makes a nice pour and water drop in icey wate (yes..bucket with ice in the bottom, cover with a cotton towel and weighted down in bottom).... Am testing Brinnels with this vs. tap water.... Seeing if the temperature differential really makes a difference. Not much science here....just havin fun.... I have mussle loaders and cast with alloys always....yes...lube them too.... One day i will test accuracy of these..one day...but, since I can't shoot for sqaut anyway,( Bad eyes,,shaking,,,,breathing bad)...test will be fun results and not definitive.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Gut, Kindly pick two.

nwellons
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
If you want to trade, put it on the trader. I've traded clip on lead for stick on when I had extra clip on. USPS flat rate medium boxes are reasonable for shipping lead. I also traded an extra Lyman cast bullet manual for lead.

captaint
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
The thing is, we can always get stuff to make our lead harder. Without some softer lead, it's really hard to make alloys softer. My .02 Mike

DeanWinchester
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
To say you cant use it; Depends on what you're casting for.
I use pure lead in my 38 special loads. A Lyman 358429 and a starting charge of Titegroup. My Colt Special Army loves it.

hd09
02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
I alot of people use pure lead in reduced pistol loads. I knew a man that loved it in his 45acp.