PDA

View Full Version : Remington R1's

KCSO
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I currently have a remington R1 enhanced for my personal carry gun and a regular R1 to go with the military Remington Rand that my Uncle carried. These are really great pistols and most have good triggers out of the box running from 4 pounds crisp for my current enhanced to right at 5 pounds with just a tad of creep for the plain jane R1. I would not hesitate to reccomment them, BUT... for some reason the last few guns I have gotten in all have a couple of PRONGS where the frame sticks out past the mainspring housing. On every gun I end up filing off the prongs and blending in the M/S housing as in recoil the little prongs jab the heck out of the heel of your hand. Now as to the enhannced gun I did also narrow the thumb safety as it was a wide shelf well suited for competition but worthless in a duty holster. Other than that the new enhanced is just about perfect for a duty carry gun and with the fibre optic sight i can actually see the sight even in dim light and shoot tight groups. In fact to test the gun I turned off all but one light on our test range and fired 5 shots into 3" just by centering the red bead. With all the lights on and a firm rest I was just under 1 3/4" at 20 yards and this with cheap hardball. I can't wait to see what the good loads do.

awaveritt
02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
BUT... for some reason the last few guns I have gotten in all have a couple of PRONGS where the frame sticks out past the mainspring housing. On every gun I end up filing off the prongs and blending in the M/S housing as in recoil the little prongs jab the heck out of the heel of your hand.

Here is a pic of my new R1 Stainless. It has, I believe, the same issue as the one you're speaking of. I've not had enough range time to determine whether this would result in an uncomfortable PITA. If it does, it appears that it would be little trouble to file it smooth in a few minutes. But the makers should remedy those types of things, to my way of thinking, not the customer.

With that said, I absolutely love the gun in every other aspect. I particularly like the old school looks of my version, as I plan to play the SASS Wild Bunch game with mine. The gun functioned flawlessly, the first time out, with Winchester WB ball ammo and some handloads using my Lee 228gr 1r boolit. Although these were accurate, they leaded badly as they drop at .451 and are thus undersized. Anyone have a favorite RN mold for 45acp?

pietro
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I've had an R1 Standard for a little less than a year, now, and like it almost as much as my LWC - so much that I installed a Caspian Arms Commander-type rowel hammer on it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/1812/dscn0762a.jpg

In about 2K rounds, so far, I've had zero firing/feeding issues.