PDA

View Full Version : New sharps question

wonderwolf
02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Picked up my 2nd Pedersoli sharps this past weekend, before I purchased it from the man at the show who looked worn out carrying it around I noticed the falling block drops lower than it should. I figured its not a big deal really but now I'm wondering if the originals were supposed to be flush or what. I can adjust it with a spring modification I think but i'm not in a rush to do so until I've shot it some. its in 40-65, came with brass dies and some cast projos, its new for the most part I don't think its seen more than 50 rounds.

The block on my first pedersoli sharps does stop flush with the rear part of the rec, and the cases shoot smoothly out the back if I let the lever get away from me.

The rifle is a Dixie gun works/ pedersoli Silhouette, nice wood, I was pleased to get it for $725 with redding dies and all.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/DSC00959.jpg

fouronesix
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Don't know what to suggest if it needs fixing. I would think that flush is where it should be for smooth ejection and extraction. I just took a look at my original Sharps 74 and the block settles flush when open.

Chill Wills
02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't think it will be a problem but the bigger question is, does the breech-block lock up high enough to center the firing pin on the primer? You can snap one or two primed-only cases at home to see the primer strike.
I would bet everything is OK but worth a check.

montana_charlie
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I can adjust it with a spring modification I think .
Explain what you mean by that.

CM

wonderwolf
02-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Flat spot on the spring should create enough of a stop for the flat portion on the lever to keep going past readily. I have several spare springs so I can replace it if it doesn't work out, is there a known fix?

Don McDowell
02-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Might drop the forearm and see if the lever spring is broke. But I'm with Mr Wills, I'ld be more concerned that the breech closes properly and you have good centered firing pin strikes.

wonderwolf
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Might drop the forearm and see if the lever spring is broke. But I'm with Mr Wills, I'ld be more concerned that the breech closes properly and you have good centered firing pin strikes.
I've already examined the spring its there intact, I'll double check the firing pin strike but the close up seems ok, he gave me fired brass with it, I'll hafta check it this weekend. I've had broken springs before the lever pretty much just drops, after the first one I started stocking up on them and keeping them in my kit. Have to pre fit them as well since they are kind of crude.

'74 sharps
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
The action is easy to disassemble and then look for anything that may look odd.