PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting with a 7.62x39 Norinco Bolt action

crackerjack57
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Good Day Gentlemen! Im hoping to draw some great input from this post.

I had a post previously running on my SKS which was having accuracy issues. I wanted to make the SKS my Deer rifle. after all that I could do along with all of the input on this forum couldnt get acceptable accuracy, I sold it to someone that just wanted a lead launcher.

I have now purchased a Norinco 7.62x39 bolt repeater along with the 3-9 scope. apprehensive of the Chinese gun i took it to the range. Well, I got to say....... pleasantly surprised!! With the military fmj was getting about 1 1/2" groups. this was at 100 yards. I still had some rounds put together for the sks that I chambered and shot aswell. where the military ammo was dead on, the lee 155 grain pointed cast ammo with 17 gr of 2400 ( wheel weights, water quenched, alum gas checked, pan lube ) was about 2 1/2" above center and a slightly tighter group. Can anyone explain the rise in elevation as i would of expected the lighter military ammo at 125 grains to be higher and the heavier lee cast to be the lower. Oh, i did crony both. the military at 2375 fps and the lee 155 grain cast at 1950 fps.

The bottom line is that I want to create a great 1-3 hunting loads that would do great at anywhere from 80-200 yards on deer and elk. I know that some of you might be thinking that 200 yards on an elk is a little weak using a 7.62x39 but I wont pull the trigger unless I know I have perfect placement.

I have the pointed lee 155 grain molds that are made for the sks. they are sized at .312 with gas checks. the barrel slugged out to .311. how would this pointed bullet do for poking a hole?? would it mushroom?

The next molds I have are for a .308. one is the lee 180 gn round nose and the other a roughly 113 gn flat nose. cant exactly remember the weight but around there. obviously the .308 diameter is too small so I am wanting to paper patch. I have paper patched on my 30-06 with sub MOA at 100 yards and thats not even truly using sandbags at the bench. so I know excellent results can be had with paper patching.

Can all you Wise and experienced Gentlemen give me input on good loads for this rifle? also if possible, I have alliant 2400 and unique at my disposal and if possible would like to consolidate to unique as am also using it for my 9mm.

attached are castings of what I have. left to right. lee roughly 113 gn flat nose (.308), lee 155 gn gas checked standard SKS equivalent (.311), lee 160 gn paper patched micro grove (.311), 160 gn micro grove and I shaved the tip flst with lathe (.311), Lee standard 160 gn micro grove gas checked (.311), and lastly Lee 180 gn round nose (.308)

I appreciate your input and am looking forward to a healthy discussion!!

A CANUCK!!

Bob Krack
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
The lighter bullet leaves the barrel in a shorter length of time. So - if both loads have anyway near the same actual recoil, the lighter bullet is gone before the recoil has reached the maxim amount of movement.

Bob

x101airborne
02-05-2013, 03:37 PM
For deer, I say the 7.62 is pleanty. BUT.... I have never shot an elk, but would think it a little light. Just my opinion. I KNOW it is a little light for our large hogs unless extremely well hit and would think an Elk would be a little tougher. The 7.62x39 is my favorite round for hog hunting out of an AR.
I think, and this is worth what you paid for it......
113 grains is too light. Not enough uumph to penetrate through.
Pointy boolits are a no-go. Slow to start to expand and once they do, the nose gets off center and causes the boolit to tumble.
Too heavy boolits, unless cast soft, dont have enough speed to do a lot once they get there AND trajectories can be too difficult to predict unless you use one and only one rifle for a while and get to know it. And I dont mean just at the range making a fancy card to tape to the buttstock of your rifle. I mean KNOW your weapon.

I find for the 7.62x39, after 5 years of using it almost every weekend and several thousand rounds and hundreds of animals killed, a cast boolit of 150 or so grains is optimal. Cast of air cooled half WW's and half pure with tin and copper added to the melt with a small hollow point will work well on anything up to about roughly 200 pounds. Hit reasonable, this will result in a DRT shortly. Bigger than that, I have had hit and miss results. I would definately caution agianst trying Elk with the cartrige.

crackerjack57
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
thanx for your input. Im wondering.... what are your thoughts on my micro grove pointed bullet that I cut the tip off so its now a flat nose? could it be better? also how do you get the hollow point? is this something that you drill in with a lathe as well?

x101airborne
02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I was constantly looking for a better mousetrap. Till I found the NOE 311-155hp. I bought it and after a little learning curve, am having a ball with it. As far as your cut off Lee, I think it is just about as perfect as one could ask for without buying another mold. For hollowpointing, look into the Forster Hollowpointing Jig. It works wonders.

Is that bolt rifle anything like the CZ version? If so, I bet you are going to love it. Interested to see if it has a .308 or a .311 groove diamater. What kind of glass are you looking at? Do yall have laws prohibiting night vision?

crackerjack57
02-05-2013, 06:09 PM
This rifle is much like the cz. as soon as I got it, I took it apart! the first thing I noticed is that the trigger group is fully adjustable which surprised me. travel, pull weight and back stop are all adjustable. im not sure but there also might be a 2nd stage for the trigger just before the break. I'm not certain of this though. as for diameter, as above I slugged it. came out to a perfect .311. i will also be trying a .308 pill that will be paper patched. It will be interesting to hear from some of the PP junkies!! as for the night vision....... not sure never tried or asked. I know that any game animal would be no way. I'm not sure about varmints though. we might be ok to shoot those with night vision. I have never seen a night vision scope here though. we dont get all the cool toys here! However we do have concealed carry sling shots!:Fire:

Olevern
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
The 7.62X39 is good for anything that the 30-30 would be considered good for (they are very close ballistacly) I would not consider it adequate for an animal the size of elk or moose. That being said, if it's all you have and the distances are close, well large animals have been killed with less. In the interest of clean kills and not seeing the animal suffer needlessly I would recommend more gun for the larger animals.

softpoint
02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
You can get by with casting that paper patch boolit pretty soft, and you will get expansion.

Haggway
02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I have had good luck with h322 and that little 113 grain paper patched boolit for plinking and small game.
Nothing heavier, I do have the 165 ranch dog mold so it may be close to the noe 155.

10x
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
If you are shooting that Norinco with milsurp ammo that you purchased recently, make sure the first step in cleaning is hot water with a bit of dish soap in it. Most of the milsurp we get in Alberta is corrosive and will pit your bore. Even some of the stuff advertised as non corrosive.
A good scrub with some cleaning solvents will not remove the corrosive salts left by primers.

429421Cowboy
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I also would worry about hunting elk with a 7.62, especially with cast. Granted as has been said before, plenty of critters have been shot with less, but if i had the choice i would not be hunting elk on purpose with something along the lines of a .30/30. At least where i live and hunt, if i can get a legal elk in range, i consider myself lucky and want to knock it down for the count because i might not get another chance at one. Elk are big and tough, alot of people don't even consider a .270 enough for elk, i would keep the 7.62 for shooting deer sized game with cast.

taco650
02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
The 7.62X39 is good for anything that the 30-30 would be considered good for (they are very close ballistacly) I would not consider it adequate for an animal the size of elk or moose. That being said, if it's all you have and the distances are close, well large animals have been killed with less. In the interest of clean kills and not seeing the animal suffer needlessly I would recommend more gun for the larger animals.

I too would hesitate to shoot an elk with the 7.63x39 or 30-30. However, a college buddy of mine told me his father killed many Roosevelt Elk with the 30-30. Shots were close and well placed but that was on the WA coast where its really brushy and ranges are short.

MT Chambers
02-07-2013, 08:44 PM
IMHO the 30/30 has much more punch then the 7.62x39, as it shoots a 170 gr. bullet the same speed as the other shoots a 123 gr. bullet. Our deer here are large bodied and I would not take that gun out after them. Most folks have more capable rifles that they could use, so i see no need to be undergunned here. Th object is not to take a big game animal with the least powerful cartridge possible, but to take one with a rifle that has least chance of wounding, presuming proper shot placement.

x101airborne
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I knew a guy who claimed to kill a bunch of elk with head shots from a 6mm remington.
And I know the guy to not be a story teller and I saw at least 10 of the elk shoulder mounted.
Not me! No way, No how. I have a nice shooting 30-06 for that.

But I have killed a truckload of hogs and deer with the 7.62x39. But all were under a hundred yards or so. A least under 200 for sure (distances can play tricks on you at night). And they weren't usually over 200 pounds in weight. Our deer are small, usually about 140 pounds live weight.

That bolt action will be one of the finest general use rifles you can have. I look forward to hearing how you do on the range with it. If you need some sample boolits, let me know. I have a mold or two......

MT Chambers
02-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Our deer are large bodied and shots are usually 200 yds or so and those chinese guns don't have the accuracy or the power to drop these deer. With the way they group, you're looking at wounded animals, and i believe we owe it to the animals to put them down cleanly! I don't think this should be condoned as many are just starting out hunting and recommending such poor choices does no one any good.
Originally 30/30s were common here for deer hunting, but as more land was cleared and shots could be further, the 30/30 fell out of favor and has not had the resurrection that it has had elsewhere.

429421Cowboy
02-08-2013, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=x101airborne;2047916]Yeah, I knew a guy who claimed to kill a bunch of elk with head shots from a 6mm remington.

Yep, every year i hear somebody tell me about using a .243 on elk, about the same difference, and it does work but just cuz it works doesn't mean its always a good idea! But one good shot will kill any critter, its the margin for error that makes a big gun nice!

crackerjack57
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
well gentlemen.... we are getting some good input here. Thanx!! I do have a 30/06 that I can use for the larger animals if I want to and I know that I do get incredible results with it. especially with the reloaded cast. In fact when with a starter load can get a sub MOA at 100 yards and not even be using a sandbag absolutely floored me. later this year I will be working more with that rifle but for now want to firstly work out a load for this new toy. Even if I kept it for my 100 yard deer gun is fine for me. what kind of loads, cast bullit shapes, powder and alloy are some of you using? Also I am very interested in what some of you are doing with the paper patching.

leadman
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I've shot probably 15 or more elk. I do carry a 30-30 Contender carbine in the junipers but would not shoot much past 75 yards, and would prefer 25 yards. I've shot at least 3 elk with the 30-06 and a 150gr jacketed bullet and only the broadside shot thru the ribs exited. The other shots were somwhat of an angle and penetrated at least 20". My Encore in 7mm Rem Mag with 150gr bullets under the same conditions, or close, always exits and leaves at big hole.
I do know a guy that killed a cow elk with an SKS and factory ammo but he also used quite a few shots to do it.
I have some factory 7.62X39 150gr softpoints and the velocity is only just over 2,000 fps. My Contender in 30-30 shoots a 176gr cast boolit abut 175 fps faster than that.

Dan Cash
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
..........Also I am very interested in what some of you are doing with the paper patching.

I started paper patching trying to salvage an undersized custom mould for my .30-40. By golly, it is not as quick as shooting grease groove bullets naked but it sure does work and the velocity is on par or a bit better than factory jacketed. Might work with a 150 grainer in your 7.62x39 bolt gun and have you in .30-30 territory. You have gotten some very sound advice regarding what the caliber is suitable for. With the 123 grain bullets is is not capable for much in my not so humble opinion. The cartridge was not designed as a killer but a 150-200 yard incapacitator. It will do that.

RoyEllis
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
You're gonna find that X 39 isn't up to being a reliable elk killer beyond 100yds if that.....it just can't put enough steam behind a heavy enuf boolit for the job. A 308 or '06 will do it but there's not much slack below them, you really need more powder capacity. JMHO though.....

gunner69
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I try to be humane with anything I harvest. For Elk or Moose get a caliber that will do the job and kill efficiently. I have my 9.3x62 which shoot my 286 grain bullet for the large animals. It goes "Whop" and they drop. For Southern deer you should be able to squeek by with the 7.62x39. Shoot em close with it though much like the 30-30 range. I have killed deer with my SKS, using factory 150gr softpoints, at close range when the shot was right.

richhodg66
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Can someone post a link to one of these rifles, I'm not familar with them.

I bought one of the Charles Daly bolt actions in 7.62x39 a couple of years ago and haven't worked that much with it yet, but it sure oughta be a good little deer rifle. I think it should push a flat nosed lead bullet as well as anything for deer, the last two I killed with cast in a .30-30 and .308 respectively were only doing 1800 FPS or so, I'd think a 7.62x39 could do that.

No comment on its use on elk, it does sound light, but I've never shot an elk.

colt1960
02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I think your on the right track with your new bolt gun at having a fine 100yd or closer deer rifle. If your looking for a north american big game rifle to cast for, a 45-70 would be my first choice. If money is an issue, single shots can be had new for under 300.00. It will down any living mamal in north America. Rick!

Driver man
02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Ive just recently bought the same rifle ,new still in packing grease etc. Ive been surprised at the trigger adjustments but dismayed at the scope mounts on mine. Im working up hunting loads using unique with 170grain hp . So far ive loaded 5,6,7,8 grains and tried them in my sks and norinco. 8 grains gives me around 1320 fps. No signs of pressure problems. Next week will try 9,10,10.5,11 grains. I will post the results and group size. Ive shot red deer ,Wapiti,sambar, hybrids, goats and pigs with this boolit . I dont shoot over 150 yards if i can help it.

10x
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Ive just recently bought the same rifle ,new still in packing grease etc. Ive been surprised at the trigger adjustments but dismayed at the scope mounts on mine. Im working up hunting loads using unique with 170grain hp . So far ive loaded 5,6,7,8 grains and tried them in my sks and norinco. 8 grains gives me around 1320 fps. No signs of pressure problems. Next week will try 9,10,10.5,11 grains. I will post the results and group size. Ive shot red deer ,Wapiti,sambar, hybrids, goats and pigs with this boolit . I dont shoot over 150 yards if i can help it.

Some of the norinco guns have to be regarded as "kit guns" as they may need a whole lot of cleaning and a bit of tlc and possibly bedding to get them to shoot well. Some are incredibly accurate out of the box (and after a good cleaning). The finish may be rough at times but the bolt guns do tend to be very accurate. The scope mounts on mine seem adequate, not pretty , but adequate.
I believe this gun has its roots in a BRNO design but i am not sure.

Bert2368
02-11-2013, 01:52 AM
This deer died of a 7.62x39 with a Winchester 123 gr. soft point. Range was about 40 yards, shot was higher than it should have been, through both lungs but perhaps 5" above the heart. Bullet did not hit any bone as far as we could tell-

The bullet jacket and a big chunk of the core were found under the hide on the far side. The deer went down in his tracks, probably due to the somewhat high shot affecting spinal nerves. He tried to get up for a few seconds, then expired. I'd have been happier to see an in and out or a slug mostly in one piece but can't complain too much about performance. Several deer I've hit properly with .308 and 25-06 have gone further before keeling over...

I would not shoot any thing bigger than a whitetail with this round if I had a choice, and I'd limit my shots to 100 yards.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/Bert2368/photo-50.jpg

crackerjack57
02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
This norinco did need a little TLC but I was surprised at the accuracy and fit of the chamber as well. the trigger set up i couldn't believe. fully adjustable in every way! besides some tweaking on the trigger set and adjustment screws i just needed to sand a little away on the stock to free float. im quite happy and know that 1 1/2" at 100 y or better should be possible. in doing some more reading about allows i'm finding that I think i might be pouring a too hard cast. especially for the paper patching loads. Im running a brinnel of about 19ish might be able to go to 9-11 on PP and 14-15 on gas checked. I am modifying some of the lee points as I think the pointed profile might not mushroom much if any unless you hit bone which isn't always a guarantee. A 1/8-3/16" flat tip might be better. What might be some of your thoughts??

nanuk
02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
...but would think it a little light. Just my opinion. ...I would definately caution agianst trying Elk with the cartrige.

The 7.62X39 is good for anything that the 30-30 would be considered good for ... I would not consider it adequate for an animal the size of elk or moose.

I also would worry about hunting elk with a 7.62, especially with cast. ...

I too would hesitate to shoot an elk with the 7.63x39 or 30-30....

Our deer are large bodied and shots are usually 200 yds or so and those chinese guns don't have the accuracy or the power to drop these deer. ...

You're gonna find that X 39 isn't up to being a reliable elk killer beyond 100yds if that.......

I've told this story a few times
My buddy bought an SKS for his kid to hunt with, but the boy wasn't interested at the time, so he used it himself.
125gr sp factory Remchesters
shot a Northern Manitoba Bull moose at 85yds, through and through.
took out a rib going in, heart/lungs, and through the brisket on the way out.
now, this was a younger Bull, only 2 1/2 years old, and only about 900lbs, but I surely say he was as big or bigger than most elk.

personally, I'd have no problem shooting at an elk with an SKS.
one has to know his limits and stay within them. (was it Clint Eastwood who said something like that?)
But I'd think a 150yd broadside shot would be a pretty sure thing.

also of note, many hundreds of Moose are killed every year in Newfoundland (pronounced New-f'n-l'n)with 30-30's.

WD2A7X3
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
7.62X39 works great on deer. Just not sure I'd take it over your 30-06 if I was going after Elk. I've hunted with both calibers are don't use the sks anymore. There's just too many times I had to pass on a shot because I felt it was out of range for a guarnateed kill.

NVScouter
02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I've been playing with that LEE 113 over Unique in my 30-06 and it comes out of water quenched of my allow at 123g with lube and gascheck. Its a bullseye magnet at 2,250fps (doable in your rifle) with no leading. I'd dump an antelope or deer under 200yards with it if we were staring at each other and I had it in my hand. I'm taking that load out this week for Jackrabbits and do some splat testing.

That being said I'd always lean tward the 150s ones and pass on Elk past 75yards/bring your 30-06.

10x
02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
7.62X39 works great on deer. Just not sure I'd take it over your 30-06 if I was going after Elk. I've hunted with both calibers are don't use the sks anymore. There's just too many times I had to pass on a shot because I felt it was out of range for a guarnateed kill.

Leaning on a deer that looks just as pretty as a No 1 Lee Enfield or a 1903 Springfield.
That photo is classic and could have been taken in 1950 had the SKS been available then.

crackerjack57
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
finally had a chance to get out a couple of times and try different loads. the best group was using 14.5 gn of 2400 alliant and a lee cast bullet of the 155 grainer with gas check but the front is flattened. basically the tip was cut off to make a flat nose. these all weigh out to 146 grains after im done. I got a 3/4" group of 5 shots at 50 yards. it cronied at 1351 fps giving 592 ft/lb. not enough for me for deer hunting but quite accurate. the next one was using same bullet but using unique powder 7.75 grains. 7/8" group with 4 shots at 50 yards. 1409 fps and 643 ft/lb. still a little light for deer but accurate. tonight on the way home im going by the range and trying out a 180 grain .308 round nosed thats paper patched and sized to .312. Im using 2400 and in 16 and 16.5 grains. doing 5 shots each at 50y. only didnt bring my croney. I will let you know how i did. Im wanting at least 1000 ft/lbs out of this gun to go deer hunting but any time I go on the higher end of the load the shots start to spread out.

What are you hunters thoughts on using the lee 155 grainers in the pointed configuration that the mold spits them out for hunting?? do they mushroom or does that point just pass through without much damage? I have "0" experience in the hunting department using cast and in this configuration. I guess some of the factory bought loads are pointed and they mushroom but would like your input.

What kind of results are you getting?

johnly
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
If I had plenty of bullet mass and energy, overhead cast bullets are just the ticket. I'm not sure those conditions are met in this instance. I have a CZ527 carbine and for hunting I load 26.7 of RL-7 with a 150 gr.Sierra .311 using a R-P 7 1/2 primer in R-P case which generates 2208 fps. Close enough in my book to call it an equal to the 30-30.

jmort
03-22-2013, 06:29 PM
It is what it is but what it isn't is a .30-30.

x101airborne
03-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Since you are using a bolt gun, I would try RL-7. Longer burn in a longer barrel may give you a bit more umph. I remember looking in the Lyman Cast Manual and noticing that several of their loads were reaching up to 2200 and some beyond. When I have the time, I like to water quench my 50/50 boolits out of the mold, then stand them up in a pan of water up to just above the crimp groove. Hit em for a bit with a pencil torch to anneal the nose. This is sometimes refered to as the "Beartooth" method. Makes a nice hard shank for the rifling and a nice soft nose for expansion. And it should work well for you since you wont have the beating of an autoloader on the nose of the boolit. When I walk around with my 7.62x54R for hogs, this is the type of boolits I carry. I use just the plain water quenched boolits for practice at the range. My NOE 316-155's are trucking along at 2280 fps and I havent recovered a boolit yet, although I havent shot just a lot of animals with it yet. I have high hopes for the summer, though.

jmort
03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
"155's are trucking along at 2280"

If that's the case, I stand corrected

Uncle Grinch
03-22-2013, 08:14 PM
This norinco did need a little TLC but I was surprised at the accuracy and fit of the chamber as well. the trigger set up i couldn't believe. fully adjustable in every way! besides some tweaking on the trigger set and adjustment screws i just needed to sand a little away on the stock to free float. im quite happy and know that 1 1/2" at 100 y or better should be possible. in doing some more reading about allows i'm finding that I think i might be pouring a too hard cast. especially for the paper patching loads. Im running a brinnel of about 19ish might be able to go to 9-11 on PP and 14-15 on gas checked. I am modifying some of the lee points as I think the pointed profile might not mushroom much if any unless you hit bone which isn't always a guarantee. A 1/8-3/16" flat tip might be better. What might be some of your thoughts??

I'm intrigued by your Norinco bolt gun. I don't think I have ever run across one of these. Can you give me more details or a picture of it? Is it similar to the Charles Daley/Remington 799?

FWIW... I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for starting it.

x101airborne
03-22-2013, 08:37 PM
jmortimer,
That is out of a 7.62x54R. I dont think even on a bolt gun you could get that from the 7.62x39. My Mosin I am shooting has (just guessing) a 25 or so inch barrel. I was just giving some ideas on how to get the round to grip the rifling and still expand at normal velocities. Just kind of an example is all.

10x
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm intrigued by your Norinco bolt gun. I don't think I have ever run across one of these. Can you give me more details or a picture of it? Is it similar to the Charles Daley/Remington 799?

FWIW... I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Here is a video on the rifle.
It does have an adjustable trigger.
And some of these are rough and need TLC. The guy in the video said he paid almost $500 for it.
In Canada I have seen them under $250 brand new. I purchased a new one for $225 several years back.
It needs just a little TLC to the bedding, the trigger pull is fully adjustable. And it is somewhat ugly. Mine is in 7.62 x 39. they also come in 223
If you want a 223 get a Savage axis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tO9s_RKdZY

badbob454
07-13-2013, 02:29 AM
"155's are trucking along at 2280"

If that's the case, I stand corrected

remember this is a 762x54r load not a 762x39//// whoops already posted

DougGuy
07-13-2013, 03:10 AM
30-06 excellent on any North American game
-100fps = 7.62x54 a.k.a. .308
-200fps = 30-30
-300fps = 7.62x39

As mentioned earlier, you just can't stuff enough powder in that small case to launch a heavy enough boolit hard enough to kill elk sized game reliably. Unless you are really close.

For deer within 100yds, it's fine until you get up into the wide bodied deer that weigh over 160lbs. Years ago I passed on the 7.62x39 because of it's boolit drop and lack of terminal energy beyond 100yds.

crackerjack57
07-14-2013, 03:04 PM
I got to tell you all, this is turning out to be a very informative post. thanx for all the input. I have spent alot of time at the range testing out afew different loads. If you look at the target prints, you can read the results. the circle painted on the home made test paper is a 3" circle. all at 50 yards. the rifle i used was the norinco bolt and not the sks so far. the boolits i used were either the lee 155 gr pointed with a 50/50 lube and alum gas checks. bollits come out of the mold about .309. i either leave these as pointed or slightly flatten the tip. (better accuracy out of the flattened tip) also bought the NOE 155 grain flat tip 4 barrel mold. casts at .3125 and i am thrilled with this mold by the way. the powders are written on the target paper so you can see what the results are. the final 100 yard target is 3 shots with the last pulled slightly low. i can do all inside of 1" at 100 yards. the 4227 powder has given me the best results so far, the 2400 a close second but im thinking that with some work the 1680 could have promising results. all cronying around 1850-1950. I didnt have the crony with me testing the 1680 but could feel a definatly stouter kick. guessing about 2100 fps but needs to be confirmed. im told that the 1680 is the powder that was actually made for the 7.62x39. not sure if true. please look at pix and tell me what you think. next is working some of these loads in the sks.

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/th_image_zps3e17d598.jpg?t=1373827081

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/th_image_zps68ddaa4f.jpg?t=1373827147

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/th_image_zpsa7739ae5.jpg?t=1373827176

crackerjack57
07-14-2013, 03:05 PM
im looking at the pix. i did something wrong. Later possibly later today i will try to repost proper pix.

crackerjack57
07-14-2013, 03:51 PM
try these.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/762x39norincobolt50y_zps38ea5d3e.jpeg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/crackerjack577/media/762x39norincobolt50y_zps38ea5d3e.jpeg.html)

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/762x39norincobolt50y2_zpsd66a2e2c.jpeg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/crackerjack577/media/762x39norincobolt50y2_zpsd66a2e2c.jpeg.html)

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/762x39norincobolt50yfinal_zps4069bba7.jpeg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/crackerjack577/media/762x39norincobolt50yfinal_zps4069bba7.jpeg.html)

let's see how these look.

MT Chambers
07-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Unless you are a savy hunter and can get close to your elk, and get proper shot placement, do everyone a favor including the elk, borrow a bigger rifle. Some of the arguments here are very misleading and not really helpful to new shooters/hunters. Sure the X39 only shoots 300fps slower then a 30-06, but the 30-06 slug weighs double. Even the 30/30s 170 grain bullets is quite a step up in power......this round (the 7.62x39) was designed to wound soldiers.

legend
07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
DITTO mt chambers ! Paper is not an elk, leave it home and bring enough gun.did anyone mention elk live in bear country.....just a thought.

crackerjack57
07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Well, I have my final load for the 7.62x39 norinco bolt. its using 17.2 gn of 4227 and the 155 gn NOE mold sized to .313 and an aluminum gas check with 50/50 lube. the cronied speed is 1900 fps giving me 1243 ft/lb and when bench rested at 100 yards gives me 1 1/2" groups. this works for me for inside of 100 yards deer.

I had another guy tell me to try the 1680 powder. I bought a pound and did some testing. using the same 155 grain NOE mold I got my best groups at 22 gn of powder. this is with initial testing. I started at 17 gn. I could defiantly feel a stouter recoil. after sending it over the cronie I saw 2090 fps which equals 1504 ft/lb.

for a third test result, this one surprised me. I went to cabela's and they had some ammo which I cant exactly remember but had 3 innitials. I think it was MVS or something like that. It was German stuff. so I bought a box. got a 2" grouping that was very stout with the recoil. when I sent a couple of rounds over the cronie i was shocked to see 2555 fps and a 124 grain bullet giving me 1798 ft lb. not bad for the 7.62 x39 round.

what kind of ft/lb are some of you others getting shooting this round?

Char-Gar
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Norinco firearms will not win any beauty contest, but they are accurate, well made and reliable firearms. A very good value for the money. The 30 cal short Russian round will produce roughly 30-30 ballistics which made them adequate deer rifles. Choose a cast bullet with a large meplat (flat point), if you don't have one, buy one. Send it into a deer with a MV of 1.5 to 1.8 K fps and if you hit the right spot, you will have a dead deer.

The round is inadequate on elk and should only be used if you are hungry and there is no other rifle available.

crackerjack57
07-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Thats kinda what I thought. I already bought a mold from NOE. 155 grain with a large meplat. I am having way better accuracy then with the lee pointed mold at 155 grain that a lot are using. In fact, 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I can live with that.

Char-Gar
07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Thats kinda what I thought. I already bought a mold from NOE. 155 grain with a large meplat. I am having way better accuracy then with the lee pointed mold at 155 grain that a lot are using. In fact, 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I can live with that.

Repeatable, dependable 1.5 MOA accuracy is better than something you can live with. It is very good performance. Go forth and make meat.

crackerjack57
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, I finally was able to go back to the range with the Norinco bolt. I adjusted my scope prior to going to the range so I would be shooting roughly 4" hi at 100y. I was slightly off to the left about 1/2-3/4" which I did not adjust till the last target. #3. I felt that the grouping was great. at least for me. The NOE Bullit mold gives me the best performance. on target #3 there is a comparison using the Lee 155 gn pointed bullit. It just doesn't print as good for me. Let me know what you think.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/5c0a23e6-a837-4b8b-95aa-715ec286f984_zps165ff609.jpg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/crackerjack577/media/5c0a23e6-a837-4b8b-95aa-715ec286f984_zps165ff609.jpg.html)

Tomorrow I will take a picture of only the 3rd page as the quality of the one posted is poor.

see if this is any better...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/sideways_zpsefa2acaf.jpg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/crackerjack577/media/sideways_zpsefa2acaf.jpg.html)

vintagesportsman
01-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Well...wheres the meat story? I am interested. Friend shot a six point opening morning - I was in a stand 1/4 mile away and heard two solid thumps as his rounds connected - lots of blood/bone and no deer! He had borrowed an sks from a friend to try it out. He is still scratching his head as to what happened@#$ we tracked that buck for three hours, I have never seen a deer bleed like that and not die then...no more blood and no deer. I am wondering if the 7.62x39 is too weak for the job?
Repeatable, dependable 1.5 MOA accuracy is better than something you can live with. It is very good performance. Go forth and make meat.

Nrut
01-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Well...wheres the meat story? I am interested. Friend shot a six point opening morning - I was in a stand 1/4 mile away and heard two solid thumps as his rounds connected - lots of blood/bone and no deer! He had borrowed an sks from a friend to try it out. He is still scratching his head as to what happened@#$ we tracked that buck for three hours, I have never seen a deer bleed like that and not die then...no more blood and no deer. I am wondering if the 7.62x39 is too weak for the job?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224040-7-62x39-first-deer-with-cast

TheGrimReaper
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Well...wheres the meat story? I am interested. Friend shot a six point opening morning - I was in a stand 1/4 mile away and heard two solid thumps as his rounds connected - lots of blood/bone and no deer! He had borrowed an sks from a friend to try it out. He is still scratching his head as to what happened@#$ we tracked that buck for three hours, I have never seen a deer bleed like that and not die then...no more blood and no deer. I am wondering if the 7.62x39 is too weak for the job? Not my experience. I shot a 5 point buck a couple of weeks ago. Shot him with a Hornday 123 gr SP and the only movement he made was DOWN. DRT!!! What bullet did you use.

NVScouter
01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Well I shot my elk with 1 320g round from my 375 H&H at 280y this year. Broke both shoulders and was not DRT but at least down. My .308 too one at 250 in my friends hands after his scope took a dump. 1 shot kill with Hornady165 interlocks.

I also hauled three more off the mountain Saturday. The .300RUM took three shots in the boiler room, the .300WSM four rounds with two being poor diagonal shots, and the 7mm Rem Mag another three. All elk would have died from shot #1...but when? I don't think you need a magnum but limit yourself to 160g boolit and 100y on elk.

Massive animals that can run off with both lungs punched. The circulatory system is much more able to keep cranking after springing a leak then deer. Any of your cast will kill one with a through and through but will you recover it? If your load can break two elk shoulders then it's a go in my book.

Wanted to add that I've had some experiences since my first post.

MT Gianni
01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Well I shot my elk with 1 320g round from my 375 H&H at 280y this year. Broke both shoulders and was not DRT but at least down. My .308 too one at 250 in my friends hands after his scope took a dump. 1 shot kill with Hornady165 interlocks.

I also hauled three more off the mountain Saturday. The .300RUM took three shots in the boiler room, the .300WSM four rounds with two being poor diagonal shots, and the 7mm Rem Mag another three. All elk would have died from shot #1...but when? I don't think you need a magnum but limit yourself to 160g boolit and 100y on elk.

Massive animals that can run off with both lungs punched. The circulatory system is much more able to keep cranking after springing a leak then deer. Any of your cast will kill one with a through and through but will you recover it? If your load can break two elk shoulders then it's a go in my book.

Wanted to add that I've had some experiences since my first post.

I was taught that regardless of the cartridge you keep hitting an Elk until it is down. I have seen no reason to change that teaching. Nice going with your game guys.

NVScouter
01-07-2014, 12:51 AM
I was taught that regardless of the cartridge you keep hitting an Elk until it is down. I have seen no reason to change that teaching. Nice going with your game guys.
Good advice. The three elk from this weekend weren't mine I just love going. Some shots were better than other but Murphy's Law needs to be a part of the equation.