PDA

View Full Version : Best ear plugs?

dualsport
02-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I know, this should be a no-brainer, but I'm wondering what's out there. My ear muff types get moved sometimes when I'm cuddling up with a rifle at the bench or prone, allowing a little too much bang thru to my poor old abused eardrums.

nhrifle
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Walmart has some Tri Flange plugs from Peltor that I use both at work and the range. Very comfortable and work great, come in a three pack for short money.

357Mag
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Dualie -

Howdy !

Howard Leight makes a whole slew of earplugs & " muffs ".

Foamie plugs take off about 28db, I have read.

Wearing BOTh at-the-same-time, is the way to go.

Due to my various hearing challenges ( " inclusion ", tinitus, genetics; et al ) I have found that wearing plugs almost constantly, has helped me out tremendously.

It cuts-down on background noise, which ( counter-intuitively ) helps me hear free speech; better.

I am not so fatigued by load/long parties, rodeos, concerts, chuch organs/choirs etc.

Hlpes me also w/ audio distractability.

It's not for everybody !

With regards,
357Mag

Bonz
02-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I use 3M E-A-R Skull Screws Corded Earplugs

timbuck
02-05-2013, 02:16 PM
my favorite earplugs are the hearos. the light brown are the most comfortable. I get mine at wallgreens, or online in bulk.
http://www.hearos.com/ear-plug-hearos

mongoosesnipe
02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I like the surefire plugs for outdoor shooting and hunting as the allow low volumes to be heard if I am at an indoor range I wear foam plugs radians 32db and muffs

375RUGER
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
I was ordering safety glasses and earmuffs for a customer a while back and decided to throw this in the order.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs

I'm glad I did. I really like them better than anything I've ever used. I used them 2 days ago when I was running my chainsaw, my ears were much more comfortable than they normally are.
I've used the heavy duty 3 flange (military issue), pletor muffs and the foam ones for years. I use muffs over plugs when I'm shooting anything that holds more than about 40g of powder. I've only shot a few rounds of 12ga with the custom so far, and they seem to cut the Db a lot better.

nicholst55
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I wear the Combat Arms Ear Plugs (http://www.earplugstore.com/aosinranplug.html) from Peltor. They're reusable, and feature two ends - the yellow end allows you to hear range commands and normal level human voices but still provides protection from high intensity noise. The dark end provides constant protection. They're fairly expensive, but will last and I feel they're worth the money.

One definite upside is that you can wear these while hunting.

P.K.
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I like the surefire plugs for outdoor shooting and hunting as the allow low volumes to be heard if I am at an indoor range I wear foam plugs radians 32db and muffs
+1
http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

scarry scarney
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
i like the surefire as well

GabbyM
02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Those orange rubbery ones with the 33 DBA rating.
In general look for the decibel rating. Back in the day the best ones we could buy were only rated 17 decibels reduction. That is not enough. I've tinnitus to prove it.

There's also not a thing wrong with a nice set of electronic muffs over foam plugs in your ears. Just turn up the volume on the electronics. I have to run my Peltor muffs wide open over naked ears to get over my tinnitus so you may as well do the same using plugs in good ears. AAA batteries in the muffs will probably age out before they run out. When out hunting I just run one muff on with the other switched off. To save battery and have the backup side. It’s like having hearing aids in.

Come to think of it. I think I’ll by both my daughters and my new SIL electronic muffs for Christmas next year. Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears. Sucks beyond any comprehension of people who don’t have to live with it. I’d highly recommend you all avoid it.

phaessler
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I too wear the Peltor 97079's, along with Peltor HC-30 muffs. Since my youngest was born with a hearing defficency/issue, I have become super-aware of anything that could be damaging to the ears.
I have always mowed with muffs on, but I run all the power equipment, mowing, table saws, high-pressure air, even hunt with one plug in. Get some strange looks from my neighbors, but I know how precious hearing is.

Pete

Artful
02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I have the orange 33 DBA in bulk box from Dillon's but I also popped for custom molded set - good value for money - and if you want you can get them with electronic hearing protection built in.

429421Cowboy
02-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Gabby and phaessler make a good point, shooting makes up a very tiny part of the constant abuse our ears are put through. My dad is pretty much deaf from running open cab tractors most of his young life, the ironic part is he insists on driving our tractors today with the windows down so he can hear them well enough to know if there is a problem, as well as my 40 year old brother who is classified as 75% hearing loss after 20 years of weapons instructing for the USAF.
I carry a set of E.A.R corded plugs everyday at work for things like running a chainsaw, grinding, pounding or running auger motors for loading feed, just like i wear safety rated sunglasses constantly, which saved my bacon at least once when a hydraulic cylinder blew its seals on me one haying season. We do far more damaging things to our senses throughout a normal day than we do when shooting but often overlook that fact.
I keep the little junk foam plugs in my range bag to use if i or anybody else forgets theirs, along with a pair of muffs.
Anything is a far cry from two .38 spl hulls stuck in your ears like my grandfather did when he worked for the Detroit police department!

crabo
02-06-2013, 02:04 AM
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-push-in-foam-ear-plugs-js5hvtkstw.html

These seal better and are more comfortable than anything I have ever used. Being a shop teacher, I have tried a lot of plugs.

I like the fact that they are corded and you can wear them around your neck, but tucked inside your shirt until you need them. I also stuff them in my little change pocket when I am not wearing them.

They also wash well.

3M™ E-A-R™ Push-Ins™ SofTouch™ corded foam earplugs feature 3M™ E-A-Rform™ Foam, engineered for all-day comfort and hearing protection, this foam adjusts to the shape of the earcanal, helping to create a noise-reducing seal.

Benefits
A gentle push is all it takes to insert.
Flexible, pistol-grip handle and stem allow fingertip control for easy insertion. Helps eliminate dirt transfer for greater hygiene.
Tapered-cone shape and smooth, soft foam provide in-ear comfort and hearing protection
Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)* 31 dB. CSA Class AL.

Springfield
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Crabo: those look interesting but the smallest amount 3m will sell is 400 pairs. Anywhere else carry them?

john hayslip
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
When I was shooting on the Marine Corps team there was a a fellow came around and fitted all of us with I think was a new idea at the time set of ear plugs that filled the ear. I loved them and so did my Labrador who ate one. There is a fellow at the Pasadena, Texas gun shows who makes them for $35. They are form fitted to you and you have to get them in the correct ear but frequently I use them without muffs. Cotton is stuffed into ear and then ear is filled with a relatively soft plastic. After it dries the cotton comes out with the plastic and is cut off.

saintdel
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I like soft foam orange, sometimes biege numbers which I can get a bag of 10 pairs at the local drug store for cheap. I don't like the white cylindrical spongy ones, they are uncomfortable. I've not had better performance from more expensive plugs I've tried than from those cheap orange ones.

wv109323
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
The last time I was at the audiologist he stated that the cheap foam disposables were the best. I told him I had fitted solid and ear muffs. He still said the cheap foam were the best.

xs11jack
02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Just for laughs I went to the Graf's site and about half of the over the head muffs were out of stock!
All the cheap foam plugs were in stock. I found out that most but not all, of the over the head muffs are rated below 30db., the foam ones are up around 33db.. Interesting!
Jack

02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
for the price i've never been more happy then I am with the Surefire plugs

crabo
02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Crabo: those look interesting but the smallest amount 3m will sell is 400 pairs. Anywhere else carry them?

I couldn't find any smaller lots for sale. I will look around.

Ramar
02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
http://www.earplugstore.com/silnatrubear.html

I've been using these the most lately. They come in ear canal sizes; my right and left are not the same so I get a pair of M & L and end up with 2 pairs that fit. They sell a 3 different size pack to try out for fitting. They're not cheap, but they've been the best for me. 33NRR...........
Ramar