PDA

View Full Version : New meaning to the term pop off

Lizard333
02-05-2013, 07:26 AM
I was deriming some 22LR brass last night and decided to derim some 22 Mag brass while I had the press set up. I went through the same routine of lube on the outside of the brass and and a little on the inside punch and figured I'd nock out the 150 or so I cases I've accumulated over the last year.

This was not the case. I had an average of about every third case blowing the top off. Turns out, Winchester does not make a case that can go through my dies without bowing the top off. There was also some CCI and a couple of Hornady's, but EVERY Winchester Super X brass busted.

Btw, when there is a blown off cap in the inside of your new formed jacket, and you heat it with a propane torch, it will build up pressure and send it self off like a rocket. This happened to me, much to my wife's surprise, while she was getting some meat out of the freezer. What are the odds....... I'm just glad it didn't hit her.....

Reload3006
02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
LOL I had a bunch of range pick up brass. And there were several live rounds that didn't go off. So I pulled the bullets threw them in my lead bucket. and took all the brass boiled it in dish soap and vinegar to clean it. after it dried I started derimming I was making 243 jackets and set a couple primer compound off it sent my knock out punch flying lol that will wake you up. didn't hurt my gear at all but tightens the sphincter a lot.

tbird1960
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Never anneal the brass first, the top will pop off. I still have some of them pop off and I am not sure of the brand it is some kind of mark on the base that I can't make out.

bullet maker 57
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I find 22 mag brass easier to derim than 22lr. I don't get as many push thrus. I use a hydro press, that may be the reason. Steady push no jerky movements.

Lizard333
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Never anneal the brass first, the top will pop off. I still have some of them pop off and I am not sure of the brand it is some kind of mark on the base that I can't make out.

I don't anneal before de rimming. I would think it would be way worse.