PDA

View Full Version : Press/Equip storage

cheese1566
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Looking for ideas on storing a Hornady Pro7 and a ProJector for semi-long term storage. storage may be for at least a year or two, but not forever. The primer tubes and small parts will be taken off for use with my set up ProJector and spare parts bin.

They will be stored in a cool, dry basement under my stairs just off my reloading area. I was thinking of giving them a light spray of gun oil/preservative. I have some rust inhibiting paper from a motorcycle mechanic that he got me from uncrating new motorcycles that were shipped from Japan and Europe. I was planning on wrapping the paper around the press and then duct tape to hold it in place.

At first I was thinking of doing the oil/rust inhibitor paper and then placing the unit in a plastig bag and zip-tie it shut. Then in a cardboard box with peanut packing.

I am now afraid maybe the plastic will seal in moisture and promote rust. Maybe leave it untied and loose?

I don't want to grease it or use a cosmoline type coating.

Any helpful hints from experience would be appreciated.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
i would think light oil on them packed i a plastic bin.would do it
you keep them in your basement now right

FLHTC
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Anything i want put away that's susceptible to rust goes in a trash bag then in a cooler. Wipe down with an oily rag before hand. I've kept presses like that for years after a move.

Gearhead1
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
They make a protect spray called cosmo lean. It is used in the tool and die industry to protect tooling and dies for long term storage, You can remove it later with solvent, like brake cleaner or paint thinner, make sure you keep the solvent away from the plastic parts.Then take a old towel and spray it down with lite oil and rap your press with it. You will have no problem with rust and if you really what to go the extra on it, put it in a plastic bag. Hope this was helpful.

Ickisrulz
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Eezox always receives high ratings for rust prevention. But in my experience, a coat of motor oil works well to protect steel parts and is cheap.

Kent Fowler
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
BoeShield T-9 spray

Hardcast416taylor
02-27-2013, 09:59 PM
In the die making part of a shop I once worked in they sprayed a preservative called "LPS-3" on all die parts that may not see finishing for months to a year or more. I`ve seen this stuff in auto supply stores.Robert

RayinNH
02-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Lee liquid alox is/was used as a rust preventitive...Ray