PDA

View Full Version : Just Got a Promising EMail

Beau Cassidy
02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
So the job situation over the past year or two has been- shall we say- crappy. After missing out on a job south of Missoula in August I wound up in Chattanooga. The job I have now is perhaps the worst I have ever had. The job I have now I started at 0800 on Dec. 3. By 0810 I realized I had made a serious mistake taking this position. I have multiple recruiters looking across the country for another position. One recruiter in particular has contacted folks in Billings and Tulsa with my interest leaning towards Billings. The recruiter just sent me this email...

Dear Beau,

What did you think of that Super Bowl!? Crazy game...
Just to let you know, we are waiting for word from Montana and Tulsa. I expect to hear back very soon and get a phone call arranged. If they like the way the call goes, we will more than likely be making travel arrangements for you and your wife to head on out to Billings!

Woo Hoo! I hope the Billings deal works out! Tulsa doesn't look like a bad place either.

S&W-629
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I wish you luck

429421Cowboy
02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Billings is a hunters paradise, with plenty of room to shoot and roam, i hope you get the job!

MtGun44
02-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Good luck!

Bill

Bulltipper
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
You would be in heaven in Montana, best of luck!

tinsnips
02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Billings is a great place, I go there a dozen times a year my brothern law lives there . We have a lot of fun many place to fish,shoot ,ride motorcyles in the mountains,ski what ever you like to do an no sales tax.

TXGunNut
02-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Nice range near Tulsa, Red Castle IIRC. Busy match schedule and a very nice facility. Met some really good folks @ BPCRS match there awhile back.

WILCO
02-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Good luck!

Bill

Ditto for me!

sparky45
02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I live about 90 miles north of Tulsa and enjoy it's many sports oriented venues. This spring the Bass Masters Classic is being held locally and the hunting and shooting sports are second to none. Great upland bird hunting as well as Turkey, Pheasant and lots of Deer and Hog hunting. I think you might enjoy the locale. BTW, the worlds largest Gun Show is held here annually.

44fanatic
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
As a native Montanan, I would love to go back. But I no longer have the anti-freeze in my blood, so it looks like Tennessee is where I am going to stay. The first time I entered TN from GA, I looked at my wife and said, "TN looks like a pretty good place to retire" (1996). A few years later I was stationed at Fort Campbell (2002) and have been here since. Retired from the Army in 2010.

If its the job, you may be going from one frying pan to another.

TN compared to MT, MT has a few more outdoor opportunities with the public lands, but TN has much warmer winters. And yes, the sales tax here sux, but no income tax.

429421Cowboy
02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
And if you are into BPCR at all, Billings is pretty darn close to Forsyth, Mt, where they hold the annual Quigley rifle shoot in the spring, it would be worth the short drive!

uscra112
02-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I no longer have the anti-freeze in my blood

+1 to that ! I've got family that relocated to Idaho a few years ago, for the skiing. Now all I hear is complaints about below zero nights with a 20-knot wind whistling around/through the house. And this year it's even been frozen pipes. Makes me smug about having picked a more temperate climate, with abundant firewood and land that'll grow more than just rabbit-weed.

Phil

bayjoe
02-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Best of luck to you
FYI you'll like Billings way more than Tulsa. The heat and humidity is a killer in eastern oklahoma

Triggernosis
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Beau, what kind of work do you do?

Beau Cassidy
02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't heard anything from either job yet. I was on the phone for 59 min and 46 seconds with another recruiter this afternoon. I am getting lots of calls but they are for jobs in Illinois, New York, etc. It doesn't seem like anybody wants to go those states- self included.

GaryN
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
My aunt used to live in Billings. I used to hear stories of 40 to 50 below. We had 24 below here this year. That is even too cold for me. I noticed that as I get older I dislike the cold more.

captain-03
02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I wish ya'll the best!!

2HighSpeed
02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Ft Campbell is where we are trying to get to. We are at Ft Hood currently. Turned in the papers for a Compassionate Reassignment a few days ago (medical/mental issues with 2 children in our home that this base cant handle)!
TN/KY is beautiful and it is where we wish to retire. After growing up at Ft Drum, him at Ft Jackson. Being to WA, GA, Hawaii, TX and many other places, The TN/KY area is where we wish to go and grow old.
Not sure if it will help, But my dad is retired army, Relocating to Crofton Tn within the next few months and he works for HoneyWell, I hear they have ALOT of well paying jobs open. But you need to be near a military base. My dad works for them, And makes more in one week then my husband as a E-5 with 6 years in makes in a month!

As a native Montanan, I would love to go back. But I no longer have the anti-freeze in my blood, so it looks like Tennessee is where I am going to stay. The first time I entered TN from GA, I looked at my wife and said, "TN looks like a pretty good place to retire" (1996). A few years later I was stationed at Fort Campbell (2002) and have been here since. Retired from the Army in 2010.

If its the job, you may be going from one frying pan to another.

TN compared to MT, MT has a few more outdoor opportunities with the public lands, but TN has much warmer winters. And yes, the sales tax here sux, but no income tax.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
A bit of personal experience: We moved from New Hampshire - no sales tax, no income tax - to Virginia, with both. LOML is the numbers person and she figured the cost of living in both places. No significant differences when we moved 20 years ago. The only difference was how the State took the money!