PDA

View Full Version : Case Tumbler and Walnut Media Trick

coydogsniper
02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Just tried a new trick I learned of from a comment someone made on another site on the dust from Walnut media when you are cleaning brass in your tumbler.
Keep your old dryer sheets, I use the ones from Dollar general.
I have a Dillon 2000 that holds 1300 38 special cases. I loaded it up with just over 1000 cases, threw the walnut media in with 5 used dryer sheets, then let it run for 3 hours.
Low and behold, I took the lid off and my cases were virtually free of dust. Couldn't believe it.
I am thinking of trying 10 sheets on the next run....will let everyone know how it works.

Just thought I would pass this on to those of you that use walnut and have had dust problems.
This works like a charm.

Shoot straight,
Coy

dromia
02-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Yep, standard practice for many on here and many posts to that effect.

MtGun44
02-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Ordinary paper towels work well, too. I tear them into long strips and drop in.

Bill

Big_Blue
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Paper towels and dryer sheets cut down on dust? Amazing!

Does it work with corn cob media as well?

trixter
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Do new dryer sheets work as well as the used ones?

abunaitoo
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Another thing that helps is to throw fresh orange peels in when tumbling.

crawfobj
02-06-2013, 05:35 PM
The used dryer sheets are free and work great. They're more frayed than new ones and I would think this helps trap the dust. I see no reason to use new ones.

I impale mine on the bolt that holds the lid on, and they always come out filthy with dust. My (midway/frankford arsenal) tumbler seems to accumulate dust on the center of the hopper, around the bolt anyway, so this seems to work best for me.

1Shirt
02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Use filters, but never tries orange peels. Will have to give that a try!
1Shirt!

jonk
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Not only do orange peels do well, but the citrus helps the cleaning process.

dilly
02-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Never tried the orange peel idea. I'll have to do it when we have oranges and I feel like tumbling.

Now this may not be a measurable amount, but am I wrong in thinking that this would also extend the life of your media? I mean the contaminates are being absorbed into pieces that are thrown away, and that can't be a bad thing, right?

o6Patient
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Neat ideas, if your favorite gal uses a liquid fabric softener you can use a spot of in on the paper towel
as mentioned already and it should work similar to the drier sheet.
The orange peel trick is very interesting.

Bonz
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I switched to wet tumbling with ss pins, Dawn dish detergent and Lemishine. I bought the #40 tumbler so it was almost a $900 investment =but= I won't be buying anymore corncob, crushed walnut shells, dryer sheets, etc. In the long run, its a lot less expensive cleaning brass this way and it does a lot better job at cleaning brass than anything I have tried with dry tumbling. In fact, just got my Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum back from Lyman where they changed everything except for the bowl and you may see a "for sale" sign on it real soon...