View Full Version : Can you use something other than pure lead for a .50 cal blackpowder?

Wesleyds
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I have quite a bit of lead that is mostly from wheel weights and some from roofing. I would like to use this to cast some bullets for my fifty cal percussion rifle. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do so?

fouronesix
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Nothing keeping you from trying any lead you have. I would keep the WW separate from the roof flashing though as the flashing is likely different and may be pretty soft. Never hurts to have options with different types of alloy. For patched roundball you will probably get decent results with various lead alloys. However for conicals and especially minies the softer the better. In the end, your own experiments will show better than any recommendation.

skullmount
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I have quite a bit of lead that is mostly from wheel weights and some from roofing. I would like to use this to cast some bullets for my fifty cal percussion rifle. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do so?

The harder alloys won't obturate and fill the grooves in a slip type fit. This might cause some gasses to blow-by the bullet and cause leading.

I would stay away from the WW if you can.

Sergeant Earthworm
02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
what they said

Conicals cast from hard lead are more difficult to load as well. Have you thought about casting round balls for your long gun since they don't have to engage the rifling?

waksupi
02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Wheel weights are fine for round balls, stick to the pure lead for any other projectile types.

nhrifle
02-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Agreed. I've shot lots of round balls cast from WW alloy, and they were as accurate as those from pure lead. Conicals didn't shoot so well when cast from WW though.

bubba.50
02-05-2013, 01:55 AM
the roof flashin' is fairly pure & should work for conicals as well as roundballs. another problem with wheelweights not mentioned is that most muzzleloading molds are calibrated to drop the correct size with soft lead. wheelweight bullets will be a couple thousandths larger makin' loadin' difficult if not impossible with conicals. and roundballs will likely require a thinner patch. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

GARD72977
02-05-2013, 01:59 AM
the roof flashin' is fairly pure & should work for conicals as well as roundballs. another problem with wheelweights not mentioned is that most muzzleloading molds are calibrated to drop the correct size with soft lead. wheelweight bullets will be a couple thousandths larger makin' loadin' difficult if not impossible with conicals. and roundballs will likely require a thinner patch. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

Great info Thanks!

waksupi
02-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Patch thickness can take care of that. From my molds, I don't get enough variation to need to switch patches.

Wesleyds
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Thank you folks! Unfortunately we turned all the lead we had into ingots so it is all mixed up. I do shoot patched roundballs in it for fun but I like to hunt with the conicals. I guess I'll have to break down and shell out some cash for pure lead.

OverMax
02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
All you'll ever need to know about lead. Check this out.

www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

The Los Angeles Handgun - Rifle - Air Pistol Silhouette Club write

Wesleyds
02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
All you'll ever need to know about lead. Check this out.

www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

The Los Angeles Handgun - Rifle - Air Pistol Silhouette Club write

Fantastic information! Thank you

OverMax
02-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Your welcome Sir. Just do us all a favor if you would. Get that 50 cal of yours out latter this Spring and center punch some holes with it.
Oh my 5:30 AM. Time to go fry me up some Venison and eggs now.

O/M

HATCH
02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
You can run a sabot.
I use one and shoot 44cal boolits. Hard lead too