PDA

View Full Version : dog attack

txpete
07-22-2007, 11:03 AM
damn what a fine morning
went out with di for our morning walk and almost got it by a pit bull.
we were on the sidewalk and the pit cleared a 4 ft fence and came after us.I got di behind me and I always carry a oak stick with me when I walk.
pushed off the pit at this time was danger close.then the pit grabbed the stick instead of my leg.finally got the stick back and put a serious thump on it head and it ran off.
called 911 as if this was a little kid it would have been dead.the owner came out and said he was sorry but that was it walked off.
hell of a way to start a sunday morning.
pete
wish I had my sp101 357 mag instead of a stick.lessoned learned.

pete

Dale53
07-22-2007, 12:39 PM
The next thing to do is report this to the authorities. This is unacceptable when you can't even take a walk without being attached. A couple of years ago, in Dayton, Ohio a gentleman was badly mauled by a couple of pit bulls.

I've been bitten a couple of times and it is not much fun. I tend to blame the owners more than the animals but a vicious dog has no place outside of a junk yard.

Dale53

SharpsShooter
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah the 101 beats a big stick hands down. Glad you are safe. It ticks me off when animal owners get that "sorry bout that" attitude, but take no further action to prevent their "pet" from harming innocent folks.

SS

Scrounger
07-22-2007, 01:05 PM
As to be expected from an old mailman, I have 7 scars on my carcass from dog bites. Only one of the dogs was what I would call vicious and I sued the owner because he had trained the dog to attack people. All but one of the others were "scuze me" type bites, just dogs being dogs with no intent to really hurt me. No harsh words, no problems. The other was a German Shepherd which had been trained to protect his property. He got out one day when I approached the door and he grabbed me just below the glutteas maximus and held me in an iron grip. He didn't break the skin but I had a purple band around my leg for a week. An apology from the owner, no problem. I like dogs.

Blackwater
07-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Pete, we all tend to at least WANT to think that nothing will happen in our own little place in the world, but ... guess what? That's EXACTLY where MOST bad things happen. As you said, lesson learned, and if you don't have a carry permit, get one, and if not, ..... well, if it were me, I'd STILL have to think about toting that SP-101. But that's just me, I guess. Rules that can get you killed .... aren't very good, or "followable"rules. We who aren't able to afford body guards just HAVE to perform that task OURSELVES. If you ask me, banning one from simply being ABLE to protect one's self from predators of any stripe just isn't a just nor obeyable law.

I never carried my gun much until I had several incidents where having or not having one really made a difference. Only one of those involved human predators.

I may be a dumb country boy down in the swamps, but nobody has to tell me what's necessary in my part of the world and what isn't. Dumb is just dumb, and it CAN be dumb to obey laws that can get you killed, maimed or seriously hurt.

KCSO
07-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Self defense includes animals although anymore you can catch more crap for smacking a dog than for shooting a human. It never fails to amaze me how people jump to conclusions. I had a complaint about a fellow hitting a dog with a golf club and the complainant wanted the guy hung. The dog had run across the street and knocked down his 5 year old when he grabbed a golf club and beat the dog off.

Now if you have to shoot a pit bull make sure you hit either the shoulders or the head as even a heart shot won't stop one for about 15 seconds or so and 15 seconds is a long time to be trying to get your gun hand out of a pit bulls mouth.
The shoulder shot will take his jumping legs out and a head shot will at least stun it long enough to put in a finisher. If you have the heart for it and don't flinch just jamming your hand to the back of the mouth and grabbing the lower jaw will keep the dog from biting. The problem here is you have to know how and what to do and you need to keep the dog from squirming loose. I have done this more than once and I can't reccommend it unless there is no other alternative. If you flub this one even a shepard will break the hand bones and a pit bull will mangle you beyond all repair.

Swagerman
07-23-2007, 04:50 PM
As a young kid back in the early 50s with a paper route, I use to get bit quite freaquently while peddling my bycycle down some of the streets. The *******s who owned those dogs were perfectly aware that their dogs were doing this and thought it was very funny.

I would have to get up excess speed and put my feet up on the handle bars and coast hopefully out of the vicious mutt's territory; but sometimes they chased me until I slowed down from coasting...and I still got bit on the leg.

Well, that was the last straw. Got me a length of heavy chain, and when the coasting begin and the dog was trying to get nippy on my butt, he got a couple of licks upside of the head. This sometimes brought the owner out when he heard the mutt's screaming yelping.

Sure you'd lose a customer sometimes, but screw it. They didn't have any leash laws back then and those dog owners wouldn't obey it if they did.

Jim

trickyasafox
07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
swagerman-

sounds pretty reasonable to me. the farm by me has a pretty nasty dog. took a few swipes at me and goes for my old man on walks. had to keep him down with a stick a few times.

now when i drive by, he chases my car. I slow down let him get along side and give him a love tap with the door. Not trying to maim the thing, but enough to teach him not to chase me on foot or in vehicle.

floodgate
07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Fox:

If you've got any kind of spoke wheels, tie a big rag to one of the spokes. If he grabs it, it'll give him a ride he won't forget.

floodgate

madcaster
07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Sounds like a shot to the head with a 250 grain bullet is what a lot of the dogs need that are biting people.

Crash_Corrigan
07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Twice in 20 years I ran into dogs on rooftops. They think that this is their area! When on the roof in response to a call for burglars we twice had to shoot dogs in the head when they tried to chew on a cop. Once in 1968 a standard french poodle of about 85 pounds tried to take out my family jewels. A 158 Gr SWC by Remington delivered by my S&W Model 10 down the throat stopped that caper. In 1983 a pit bull on a rooftop took 5 shots from the same combo to slow him down then my partner with a 12 gauge hit him with 12 .32 cal lead balls from a 3 inch magnum round and he ceased and desisted. Turned out that both dogs were owned by tenants who resided on the top flooors and it is easier to let the dogs out onto the roof than to walk down five flights to walk them on the street. One owner sued me personally and of course the city of new york paid off $10,000 to save the cost of a trial. What a rip off. I have two dogs and I love them as much as my kids. If someone were to mistreat or molest them I would go off the wall. However both of them know when to behave and when to bite. The biting time is when my life is danger and not before. The Golden would lick a burglar to death and the Labrador would probably show him where the guns are!

fiberoptik
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Had a prob with a golden who liked kids on bikes. I carried my K-Bar with me the last time he chased me. Love tap across the bridge of the nose with the handle solved all future chases with him. I like dogs too. Ate lots of 'em in Okinawa.

PatMarlin
07-24-2007, 01:48 AM
That's inexcusable.

I put one of my own dogs down that stalked and attacked my neighbor. It was just a pup yet and not even a pit. Don't know what it's problem was, but I ended it.

DanWalker
07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
I was attacked by dogs 4 separate times growing up. Once was by a poodle that just liked to bite people. I was 5 at the time and he chewed my hands up pretty good before i got away from him. No serious damage done. One was a neighbors german shepard who chased my down, knocked me to the ground, and took a big bite out of my posterior. When I was 6 I went with my mother to my fathers uncles house so she could feed his dog. he was dying in the hospital from cancer. Dog was a retired police dog. It broke it's chain and came for me accross the front yard. It hit me, knocking me flat, and clmaped down on my forearm, while shaking me like a rag doll. Mom used the jack handle to get him off me.
The last time was when I was 7. i was outside helping dad build a porch on our house. A stray came up and when i tried to pet it, it lunged for my throat, snapping and snarling. Pop caught him in mid lunge, and I got a firsthand look at what an old Navy man could do when something threatened one of his kids. Pop beat that dog to death with a 4' long chunk of 2x6 he'd been cutting to make a step out of.
When my daughter was little (5 or 6) we took her out trick or treating. She got a bit ahead of us and disappeared behind a hedge row. When we came around the hedge, she was standing nose to nose with a rottweiler. My taurus 357 was in my hand before I could even think about it. The owner came running up and hauled his dog back into the house. If that dog had som much as blinked I would've dropped him.
It's gotten to be quite fashionable among the white trash morons with inferiority complexes, to own vicious dogs. I cringe every time I see some 90lb furry chainsaw being confined by a 4' rickety chainlink fence. If I ever have to shoot one of those dogs I plan on removing the mag from my gun, putting the gun up, then going to the owners and kicking the living $hit out of them. The dirtbags will probably sue me for shooting their dog anyway, and it will cost me a buttload of money in legal fees. I might as well get some satisfaction for all my trouble.

Bret4207
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Dan, remind me not to go to a dog show with you!

Got bit 3 times, once by a Golden Retriever while delivering roofing. I got between her and "her" family. Not happy, but hey, she saw a threat and acted. Another was an Irish Setter that got me in the calf out of nowhere as I interviewed the owner. The magnum to the head put the dog on the run. Owner very unhappy, my boss very unhappy till he saw the stiches. Owner ticketed for a dangerous dog by Animal Control. 3rd time was our Dalmation when I foolishly tried to break up a fight. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On mutts with mutts. Walked up to a car late one afternoon with Joe Dirt driving. Pit Bull in the backseat. Too fast pal, be back in a minute. He's not happy. As I walked back up I thought to take "Thumper" with me. "Thumper" is a 6 D cell Mag Lite. Sure enough as I got near the window I see Joe Dirt lean forward and say something to the dog. Ted Williams would have been proud. I don't know if there are doggy orthodontists, but Mr. P Bull needs new teef. Then Joe came out of the car through the window, rather unwillingly. Amazing how much extra ooomph you have when the adrenilan flows. I really thought I showed remarkable restraint as Thumper didn't get used on Joe. His PB was trying to get at me again but somehow Joe seemed to be in the way and got pretty well covered with slobber and blood. Good thing his dog was missing his teef, kinda like Joe. I stopped Joe in a different car a few weeks later and found him to be most courteous and pleasant. At that time I had the chance to make Mrs. Dirts aquaintance. I have never met another couple more deserving of infertility.

Had a psyco armed with a 50's era Eye Talian switchblade. Must have been 10" blade on it. We're chasing him through the house and he heads upstairs. Next thing I hear is "sickem' boy!!!!" Down the stairs comes frickin' Cudjo! I never would have had time to draw. Dog heads right for me and rolls over to have his belly scratched! Good dog. Ended up in a tiny bedroom with Mr. Moron and his samuri switchblade. I asked what he was going to do with the knife. Next thing I know there's a 40 S+W next to my ear. The Deputy with me, (his case actually), just noticed the knife. So now I got Mr. Moron 3 feet away ready to make a bayonet charge and the Dep. with his gun in my ear shaking enough that I can hear rattling metal. Fourtunately Mr. Moron decides he's gonna point the short sword at his chest and I jumped him. At least I got away from the gun. It would be nice to say the Dep. joined in the fracas, but I guess he was covering me in case I lost the wrasslin' match. Seems to me I tried to spray the Deputy but missed and hit the moron after I got the knife away. Took the dog to the pound and the ninja to the hospital. I checked on the dog. No idea what happened to his owner. (And yes, I did have my gun out prior to the wrasslin' part, but the other guy never noticed. He straightened out later and became a good cop)

Jim
08-03-2007, 05:57 AM
When I was a kid, I was out on my bike one afternoon and got charged by a dog that was usually behind a fence. I had a 4' piece of cowchain with a padlock snapped across the ends to lock up my bike. I had to stop and retreat on the other side of the bike to get away from him. I armed myself with the chain and cocked back. He came across the bike at me. I think it was a "luck shot", but I layed his skull open and left him in the middle of Plymouth Ave.

madcaster
08-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Jim,
I once had to use one of those on a bully at school,he left me alone after that!didn't want to,but he DID bust my head with a gunstock.I have not had to fight anyone since,and that was in 1980,I won't be bullied.

EMC45
08-03-2007, 11:25 AM
"It's gotten to be quite fashionable among the white trash morons with inferiority complexes, to own vicious dogs. "

You must live near me:-D It seems like everybody have some Pitbull walking them through town on a 4 foot piece of logging chain with her teats dragging the ground. Disgusting! There is a local police officer who went to serve a warrant 2 weeks ago who was confronted by the ever present pit bull at the bad guy's house. 2 rounds from the AR15 was all it took:-D :-D

waksupi
08-03-2007, 11:17 PM
"It's gotten to be quite fashionable among the white trash morons with inferiority complexes, to own vicious dogs. "

You must live near me:-D It seems like everybody have some Pitbull walking them through town on a 4 foot piece of logging chain with her teats dragging the ground. Disgusting! There is a local police officer who went to serve a warrant 2 weeks ago who was confronted by the ever present pit bull at the bad guy's house. 2 rounds from the AR15 was all it took:-D :-D

Reminds me of former Police Chief Ad Clark answering a call. Perpetrator sent his doberman after him. Anyone who is on national level pistol competition, knows this was a bad move. He was always on top. Ad killed the dog before it got out the door, with his .44 mag.

Ricochet
08-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Left the perp feeling uncomfortable, I imagine.

trickyasafox
08-04-2007, 03:16 AM
it's sad because i like dogs so much, but gratifying because these were bad dogs with bad owners, all of which got what they had coming.

Ricochet
08-04-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/03/people.vingrhames.dogs.reut/index.html