PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check with .22 BATOR bullet and Lee Sizing Kit

txnative1951
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, I've finally had to resort to putting gas checks on a bullet that I cast. I recently bought a Lee .22 BATOR mold (.225" diameter, 55gr) and am wanting to reload some ammo for a single shot .223 and eventually my AR. I have previously used the Lee Alox for all my bullet lubing (even on non-tumble-lube bullets) and don't usually bother resizing them. The questions that I have though are about lubing the bullets and gas checks.

Should you lube the bullets before putting the gas checks on them and then running them through the Lee sizing die to crimp the gas checks on the bullets? Should you then lube the bullets again after running them through the sizing die? I tried running a few through the die to test out the crimping without any lube and they looked good. Should I just use the Alox for both the first and second lubings or is there a better choice for the first trip through the sizing die? Normally when I use Alox, I dust the bullets lightly with talcum powder afterwards to get rid of the stickiness prior to loading them in the brass. Should I still do this between the first and second run through the bullet sizing die?

Cooperwin
02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a Lyman 225415 that I have been casting with Linotype. I lube with thinned LLA, then run through the Lee .225 sizer to seat a Hornady gas check, then lube again. It seems to be a fast way to process them. The intent is to use them in a Mini-14. Functions well, still have to test for accuracy. So use your setup & go to it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
when I choose to tumble lube a rifle boolit...I do it this way:
lube, seat check and size, lube again.

If you're boolits are tacky, try 45-45-10 (LLA-JPW-MS)
see:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free
btw, this is also now available from While Labels Lubes in the vendor section.
Jon

txnative1951
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Here's the procedure that I've been using. Does it make sense?

DAY 1:
1. Cast the lead to the bullets, water quenching them.
2. Transfer bullets from water bucket to towel and roll them back and forth to dry.
3. Leave them under fan to dry overnight.

DAY 2:
4. Lube the bullets a few at a time with Lee Liquid Alox (LLA). About 150 in a batch works well with .45 200gr bullets. I thin my LLA with a bit of odorless mineral spirits.
5. After swirling the bullets in the lubing container, dump them out on a non-porous surface (glass, wax paper) to dry overnight

IF USING GAS CHECKS {

DAY 3:
6. Resize the bullets, placing gas crimps on the bullets if desired.
7. Lube the bullets with LLA again.
8. Dump them back on non-porous surface to dry overnight.

DAY 4:
9. Split each batch into smaller batches and dust each smaller batch with talcum powder.
10. Store powdered bullets in airtight containers.
} ELSE {

DAY 3:
6. Split each batch into smaller batches and dust each smaller batch with talcum powder.
7. Store powdered bullets in airtight containers.
}

drinks
02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I just put the checks on the bullets, have just a bit of mink oil on my fingers, fondle the bullet and size it.
I then pan lube it with LBT soft blue or Lar's red, LLA is a good lube but I do not like the smell and mess.

trixter
02-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Well, I've finally had to resort to putting gas checks on a bullet that I cast. I recently bought a Lee .22 BATOR mold (.225" diameter, 55gr) and am wanting to reload some ammo for a single shot .223 and eventually my AR. I have previously used the Lee Alox for all my bullet lubing (even on non-tumble-lube bullets) and don't usually bother resizing them. The questions that I have though are about lubing the bullets and gas checks.

Should you lube the bullets before putting the gas checks on them and then running them through the Lee sizing die to crimp the gas checks on the bullets? Should you then lube the bullets again after running them through the sizing die? I tried running a few through the die to test out the crimping without any lube and they looked good. Should I just use the Alox for both the first and second lubings or is there a better choice for the first trip through the sizing die? Normally when I use Alox, I dust the bullets lightly with talcum powder afterwards to get rid of the stickiness prior to loading them in the brass. Should I still do this between the first and second run through the bullet sizing die?

So, what are your results? I am in the same process as you and I am looking to compare notes.

elwood4884
02-28-2014, 04:52 PM
TX, I use the 22 Bater mold as well. I typically lube, size and check, lube again then load. I played around with powder coating and had some good luck with that too. I started with the Alox and in the AR I noticed that the gas system started getting clogged up from alox burning off. Powder coating seems to work better with my AR.

Garyb
03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I use to use 45/45/10 prior to gas check and sizing for my 22s. Now I prefer using a rectangle shaped Glad container with snap on top, drill a small hole along the top, and stick the tube from Hornady One Shot in the hole and give a few squirts as I tumble them around. After this I put the checks on with a Lee sizing die with the punch converted to a nose punch to press the bullet and check through the die base first. I feel like I get a better fit and seating base first. I then lube with 45/45/10.

threewheels
03-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I use LLA but warm up the bullets in a toaster oven just warm to touch so they coat evenly and use less lube then seat the gas check then repeat the lube process

PatMarlin
03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I was just looking at my 22 Bator mold the other day and I think the shank is tall enough for my 22T caliber gas check dies.

I'm going to open up one cavity and remove the shank to make it a plain base for testing a 22TPB caliber version. Both of which should be beneficial to the AR platform. The old bator may prove to be a real performer.

trixter
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
i have a Mossberg MVP in .223/556. I bought the Lee Bator mold, I have cast some and now I want to gas check and size them which would be better, .224 or.225?

elwood4884
03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Trixter,

You should slug your barrel to determine what your barrel dimensions are. There is a description of how to do this at : http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm . That should help you out.