PDA

View Full Version : lubes using cutting oil?

corey012778
02-04-2013, 02:45 AM
does anyone have a lube recipe that uses napa cutting oil? (out side of the one BP patch lube (take on moose milk) that I have)

thinking about doing a 50/50 with beeswax to start.

geargnasher
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Ought to be good, we've looked into cutting/forming/shearing oils before but I don't know if anyone's tested them.

Start off with way less than 50% oil, more like 10% and see what that gets you. Any oil you add to beeswax lowers its melt point, so go easy on it if you don't want it to go runny on a hot day.

Gear

corey012778
02-08-2013, 12:59 AM
made a small batch of 90% beeswax and 10% cutting oil. with out even loading any I see a problem. too rich in beeswax. going to add another 10%. I pan lube about 100 9mm. ran just over half thru my lee .358 sizer. ones that the lube coat and not filled the lube groove went thru easier then the ones that had lube in the groove.

making smokeless lube is alot harder then BP lube for muzzleloaders lol

Maven
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
corey, If you're willing to try ATF instead of cutting oil, you may want to read this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168373-simple-lube

corey012778
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
maven, I have about 1gal or more cutting oil, bought for a project and to make patch lube for RB's, I dropped the project and don't have any use for it. but that thread did give me an idea. sub out the aft in the that mix with the cutting oil and see what I get.

Maven
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
maven, I have about 1gal or more cutting oil, bought for a project and to make patch lube for RB's, I dropped the project and don't have any use for it. but that thread did give me an idea. sub out the aft in the that mix with the cutting oil and see what I get.

corey, I thought that may have been the case. Once you modify r5r's "Simple Lube," with cutting oil, please let us know how it turns out and how it performs with respect to accuracy. Btw, for a RB patch lube, google Stumpy's Moose Snot and then substitute your cutting oil for the castor oil. (I substituted olive oil for the castor oil and it works great!)

geargnasher
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM

There you go, exactly what I was going to suggest after you mentioned you were pan lubing.

The deal with most oils is when you add enough to bw to make it soft enough to pan lube, it becomes too slippery and can ruin your accuracy. Use a combination of Vaseline and cutting oil to get your lube the consistency you want without making it too slick in the barrel.

Gear

DeanWinchester
02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Is that a sulphurized cutting oil? That stuff really stinks when it burns. Used a metric ton of if working tool n die. Always hated the smell.

corey012778
02-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Is that a sulphurized cutting oil? That stuff really stinks when it burns. Used a metric ton of if working tool n die. Always hated the smell.
Mineral Oil based.
https://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/773757.pdf

not much of a MSDS sheet. natural floor cleaners have more to it. something has to be missing.

corey012778
02-09-2013, 04:24 AM
well intrusting problem now, did the simple lube, subbed in the cutting oil (aka mineral oil), adding the 2 cycle (used the walmart brand) now my lube that I is close to the color as one of my bp lubes lol. better keep those two a part.

bruce381
02-09-2013, 04:55 PM
that is per the MSDS sheet a "soluble oil" can be mixed into water to form a white emulsion.

oldpara
02-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Years ago I used a band saw type cutting wax/lube on bullets.
I can't remember the name of the stuff but it was a light green color and had a rather nice smell.
It came in a waxed cardboard tube.
Seemed to work well enough, no leading, but once it was gone I never got anymore.
The only drawback I could find was, it was kind of tacky, and in really warm weather wasn't pleasant to work with.

geargnasher
02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
I looked into the blade waxes last year, they're still available but I never bought any.

Gear

runfiverun
02-10-2013, 12:23 AM
i have some of that cutting wax also.
it is mostly b-wax and feels like lanolin.

that's a lot of mineral oil in the cutting oil i would definatly try to sub it for the vaseline and the atf.
then add the 2 stroke,and do the final modification of the visc with vasoline.
the mineral oil will soften b-wax at about the same rate as vasoline will,but not quite do the same thing.
i'd try one tsp per oz of wax and add the vasoline after the initial lube has cooled.

definatly let us know how it works,i'm working with modifying mineral oil right now and this might be a step up from straight.

corey012778
02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
my mix as it stands is
5oz of beeswax
.5 oz of cutting oil (3tsp)
.5 oz of 2 cycle oil (3tsp)
about 3 tsp of vasoline

green color, takes body temp to get soft, only really sticky at the soft stage from what I can tell so far. have not loaded any, going on vacation next week so a be a week or two (hope not more) before I can run a test.

runfiverun
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
sounds about right.
i like to let lube sit for a while to see how things really spin out.

corey012778
03-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I was able to shoot a few rounds of the stuff. about 14, did not see any leading but too small of a sample to tell looked like it was the shooter not the lube for accuracy. still getting use to shooting pistols. I mainly shoot muzzleloaders . I was having issues with primers, either my hi point 9mm has a light hammer strike or i got a large lot of dud primers (federal standard SP). going to run another test later this coming week to see.

geargnasher
03-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Try cleaning and lubing the firing pin, buddy of mine had the same issue with factory ammo in a .45 ACP Hi-Point.

I'd love to hear more about the lube, do give it another go if you get a chance.

Gear

corey012778
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I shot a larger sample today, low smoke when shot thru a cold barrel. once warmed, very low to no smoke. I was shooting powder coat test boolet with a lee alox under coat (part of a fluidized bedding test lot) saw the same thing. both had the same type accuracy. leading wise, could not really tell. The winchester 231 powder I am using seem to be really dirty, looked like sugar based bp sub. residue that was after shooting j word RNs. white and crusty. got home, i cleaned up and noticed a little bit of lead build up. 20 j words, 35 cutting oil lubed boolits, 25 pc's. the primer problem showed up off the first shot of the day. I know 100% the firing pin was cleaned and lubed well. going to switch primers and going to try blue dot (bought the last two pounds a gun shop had).

runfiverun
03-05-2013, 08:46 PM
231 is a smoky powder. [when used on the low/medium side]
which is too bad it's a real good powder other than that.

44man
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Cutting oil, I don't know about it. It is made to mix with water and water evaporates.
It is like all the funny BP lubes like those on boolits you buy. It dries out and the company says it still lubes but do you want the truth? What was that junk---Oh yeah, Wonder Lube, etc. Some was in a tube so when it got cold you had to run a truck tire over the tube to get some. The stuff on Maxi Balls was powder after it dried.
Now two stroke can take heat. So can transmission fluid because it is mostly seed oil. Transmission assembly lube is 100% seed oil. Makes a good lube.
There is one thing that is NEVER stated for any lube of any combination and that is accuracy. I have a full accuracy comparison for lube components for BP but not a single one for smokeless.
The look to stop leading only can be a detriment for accuracy.
Every lube should be compared and tested for accuracy, back to back. It is that important and one lube can make your gun a shotgun.
Slippery, sticky, soft, hard, ash, fouling softening, leading, all is important but ignored for the purpose to stop leading only.
I have tested many lubes and will tell you there is a vast difference.

corey012778
03-18-2013, 10:48 AM
44man,
after about a week trying to figure out what you where saying.

answer to is going to be simply. if this lube does not work out. I will just change the cutting oil for atf and make the simple lube.

if it does work out, I may try a black powder lube close to it.
sub out
crisco for vaseline
olive oil for 2stroke oil