PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer problems

Muddydogs
02-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I am trying to lube some Lee 358 158 RF bullets. My first problem is I didn't realize that the mold has a bevel base and what issues that causes. After an internet search I tried the tip of cutting a thin cardboard washer to put on top of the extractor rod in the sizer die to keep the lube off of the bevel base. This works but I still get some lube on the base.

I am adding pressure to the lube while the there is a bullet in the sizer then taking it off before lifting the bullet so I don't get lube under the washer but after 20 or so bullets I get a thin line of lube squeezing up between the die and extractor rod, what's up with this?

Some of the bullets are getting a full fill in the lube groove but some have 4 lines or spot on them with no lube, I assume it is either where the lube meets from each lube hole and there is air trapped or its where the lube holes are and for some reason it's not filling these small spaces. The spots are symmetrical around the bullet. If I add a little more pressure I then get lube in the crimp groove.

I am also wondering if I am getting enough lube on the bullets as the mold is throwing .360 bullets and after sized to .358 there is not much depth left to the groove.

I won't mention that the top punch that is supposed to be for these bullets doesn't really fit and if I don't get things lined up just right the bullet noose get buggered up.

I have spent enough time messing around trying to lube 100 bullets I could have sized and lubed 1000 with a Lee push through sizer and TL.

02-03-2013, 11:55 PM
I tried several different ways in which to keep lube off that boolit's base, and decided it was much easier to just wipe it off on a rag.

The four lubeless spots are from a lack of pressure.

If you have the adjusting screw set correctly, lube will not get into the crimp groove. You have it set too deep.

To eliminate the damaged nose, use a flat top punch.

A proper top punch, correct depth adjustment, and a bit of experience, and all will be well.

MT Chambers
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
The proper depth setting will take care of all but the bevel base, use a .357" gas check to block the bottom.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
The older lubesizer dies with 4 large hols/ports in a row can be troublesome.
I will plug the unused holes/ports near the problem areas
see post #9
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

Muddydogs
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
The older lubesizer dies with 4 large hols/ports in a row can be troublesome.
I will plug the unused holes/ports near the problem areas
see post #9
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

Thanks for this tip, I found that #4 lead shot works great at filling the bottom lube holes. I am still getting lube on the base which is to be expected as the base has to pass the top lube holes on the way out. I tried the cardboard disc which works somewhat but I do have to take the pressure off the lube or after 5 or so bullets the lube gets under the disc and pushes it up. Bevel base bullets are generally a pain and I wish I would have known before hand.

Bwana
02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
As far as the lube hole positioning I prefer the RCBS size dies because of their design with the ring instead of the holes. A little lube on the bevel base really isn't going to bother things unless you have a soft lube and or store them in a hot environment

DLCTEX
02-04-2013, 11:28 PM
I use a foam washer cut from a take out tray instead of the cardboard with good results. It will eventually wear out, but I usually get several hundred lubed first. The easiest way is to avoid BB moulds, or if aluminum mould I cut the BB out with an exacto knife using a good magnifier.

alfloyd
02-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Get a Star sizer, and all of your problems will go away. :) :kidding:
Well maybe not all, but most.

Muddydogs
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
All right guys thanks for the help. I cut a washer from a Zip Lock box, adjusted the seating die so the bullet went down just far enough to size it and catch the top lube holes, plugged the second lube holes with #4 shot, went easy on the lube pressure and thanks to ThePrefesser got a flat face punch. I just lubed a couple hundred with no lube on the bevel base and no damage to the bullet nose all without having to let off the lube pressure between bullets.

theperfessor
02-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Outstanding! It's a lot more fun when things work like they ought to, isn't it.