PDA

View Full Version : greetings, couldn't find a nube thread

johnstonab
02-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Greetings all,

well I finally took the plunge. I have been reloading for 9 years now and casting has crossed my mind several times. I ordered my gear and it came in this week. I now have a Lee pot, dipper and a mold for 230 gr .452 LRN along with the size/lube die. oh yeah 10 lbs of alloy to melt down. Kinda excited about this. I do need to pick up a hammer handle, forgot to get one at lowes when I was there today. I have been lurking and learning.

Alex

williamwaco
02-03-2013, 11:39 PM
If you don't have a hammer handle, I use a foot long piece of a 1" dowel rod.

I buy a 36 inch dowel and cut it into three pieces. That three pieces will cut off about nine zillion sprues

Each stick will last me about two years.

johnstonab
02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
thanks for the idea.

runfiverun
02-03-2013, 11:52 PM
my mom is still looking for the 15" piece that fell off her broom handle a number of years ago...

oh your mold is not clean enough,now you need to get it hotter.
welcome aboard.

Phoenix
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Welcome,

Another long time lurker here, recently Joined. 45 is the easiest to start with in my experience. Was where I started. you are going to find that 10 lbs wont last long at all. LOL

Make sure you learn about the tinsel fairy. finger burns heal much better and faster than face/scalp burns.

Enjoy

savingprivateyang
02-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I use an old rolling pin that I disassembled to make hollow point pin handles with. The rolling pin no longer had handles so I just use it like a club of sorts. Works great!

rexherring
02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Welcome. I've only been casting over 40 years and still learn good stuff here with this group.

1Shirt
02-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Welcome! Good group of folks here, lots of wisdom, opinions, ideas, a little humor, and some politics.
1Shirt!

captaint
02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Well, I've not been casting for 40 years, but I have learned a TON here.
Your 45ACP is a perfectly delightful caliber to cast & shoot. Easier than
most. I think you will find that once you get your mold heated up good,
you will be cutting your sprues with your gloved hand. Faster, and saves
wear & tear on the molds. You'll see. I haven't shot a jacketed bullet in years. Mike

mdi
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Taking some scrap lead and casting a bunch of "perfect" bullets and lubing and sizing them for your particular gun, then loading them and shooting them is prolly the most satisfying part of home made ammo...

Welcome.

trixter
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
GET A HOT PLATE GET A HOT PLATE GET A HOT PLATE TO HEAT YOUR MOLDS. Sorry about the yelling, but you will be so pleased with the results, you wont believe the ease of casting with hot molds.

quilbilly
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I have been making custom saltwater fishing lead jigs for over 30 years and didn't know til I came here the value of tin alloyed in. Jigs came out better immediately. The problem is, I don't want to waste tin on jigs so I save it for boolits.